Author Topic: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)  (Read 59820 times)

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
Re: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
Man charged in deaths of B.C. girls nearly 40 years later

BY KIM BOLAN, POSTMEDIA NEWS DECEMBER 1, 2014

Garry Taylor Handlenmid-1970s he was living in the Lower Mainland,Garry Taylor Handlen was again in court for raping a 21-year-old Quebec hitchhiker in the woods near a rest area in Manning Park. At the time, the judge told Handlen, then 32, that he was aHandlen received an 18-year prison term.http://www.theprovince.com/news/charged+deaths+girls+nearly+years+later/10430792/story.html

LINK TO PICTURE OF GARRY TAYLOR HANDLEN circa 1970s   http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/digitalAssets/45/45046_HANDLEN_HR.jpg

LINK TO PICTURE OF GARRY TAYLOR HANDLEN present day
  http://i.cbc.ca/1.2856795.1417534586!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_220/garry-taylor-handlen.jpg

me

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
a previous poster quoted a statement that the same suspect was being considered for Theresa Hildebrant's murder.  Here is hoping that her family will also get closure in the near future.  As they are releasing his photograph from the 1970's, I think it is a safe guess that they are trying to link him to other cases.  Theresa Hildebrant disappeared just one year after Kathryn-Mary.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
a previous poster quoted a statement that the same suspect was being considered for Theresa Hildebrant's murder.  Here is hoping that her family will also get closure in the near future.  As they are releasing his photograph from the 1970's, I think it is a safe guess that they are trying to link him to other cases.  Theresa Hildebrant disappeared just one year after Kathryn-Mary.

Can you please quote the reply number, me? I can't seem to find it.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
Good news...I would imagine they are looking at him for a few others, maybe these little ones but I'm not sure how old he would have been at that time:
Nov 6, 1967 - Nancy Joan Johnsen, age 7 - Surrey, BC

Nov 20, 1969 - Evangeline Azarcon, age 7 - Surrey, BC

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/ontario-man-arrested-in-1970s-murders-of-two-bc-girls-284397781.html?cx_navSource=d-popular-views&device=mobile
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:31:57 PM by Fraser »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Good news...I would imagine they are looking at him for a few others, maybe these little ones but I'm not sure how old he would have been at that time:
Nov 6, 1967 - Nancy Joan Johnsen, age 7 - Surrey, BC

Nov 20, 1969 - Evangeline Azarcon, age 7 - Surrey, BC

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/ontario-man-arrested-in-1970s-murders-of-two-bc-girls-284397781.html?cx_navSource=d-popular-views&device=mobile

As to age - quite possible - He was 31 in 1975. He might of started earlier, but got caught on these two.
I wonder why they say he was from Ontario? That baffles me - these two girls were from BC and he was arrested in Surrey.

JB

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
If he was living in Ontario now, he may have moved to Ontario because he was so well known to the police in BC.

me

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
Debbie, I can't spot the original statement for some reason, but Solvy re-quoted it in reply #92

Looking at post # 83, it appears that the details of the suspect match up with Garry Hanlen - he was dating a teen that was boarding with Kathryn-Mary's family and was also convicted later for a rape in which the prosecutor was Wally Oppal.  So it would appear that the family and LE had the man pegged all along, but didn't have evidence to lay charges.  When this comes to trial, I hope they reveal how they got the new evidence to lay charges, as the technique used may help to solve other cold cases.

It could simply be that, 39 years later, a witness that was afraid finally came forward.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
from 'me':

Debbie, I can't spot the original statement for some reason, but Solvy re-quoted it in reply #92

Thanks I've found it now.

(quoted by SAP).

The original statement is on Theresa Hildebrant's thread, and the link to that thread is supplied above the quote, in reply #92.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
Here is a bit more about Garry.  Read this elsewhere,
http://mindentimes.ca/?p=5662

ConcernedCitizen

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2014, 09:49:40 PM »
I tried  to copy & paste the Article but it wouldn't work. So going to try it this way.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/britishcolumbia/story/1.2864334

GARRY TAYLOR HANDLEN....Makes court appearance in Abbotsford.

The man charged last week with first degree murder of two BC girls in the 1970s made
his first court appearance in Abbotsford.

His next Court Appearance is March 2015.

More details are available at the above Link. Hope it works. :)

Handlen is 67 years old.

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:32 AM »
On Nov 28/14, Garry Taylor Handlen was arrested for the murder of my Kath and Monica Jack who was murdered three years after Kath (I believe). Thank you all for your kindness and your prayers.
I love you all
Shari

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
Handlen was not convicted for Katherine's murder but was convicted and sentenced to life for the murder of Monica Jack. Katherine's mother Shari promised her daughter that justice would be done. It was through Monica. Unfortunately Shari passed away prior to seeing that but I think she knew it was coming one way or another. She was confident of that in her final years.

From-

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/you-are-among-the-worst-of-offenders-man-convicted-of-monica-jack-s-murder-sentenced-1.4272290

Published Monday, January 28, 2019 11:03AM PST 
 Last Updated Monday, January 28, 2019 6:58PM PST 

Charge in another death dismissed

In addition to sentencing Handlen for his role in Monica's death, the judge also addressed another case in which the 71-year-old was accused.

He faced a first-degree murder charge in the death of 11-year-old Kathryn Mary Herbert, in Abbotsford in 1975. Handlen pleaded not guilty.

As with Monica's death, Handlen had confessed to her killing in a Mr. Big sting – a tactic once used by the RCMP to extract confessions by convincing suspects they were talking to a crime boss.

The second case was previously covered by a publication ban. On Monday, the judge dismissed the charge.

The Crown is not proceeding with the case because the confession which was permitted in the first case was ruled inadmissible in Kathryn's.

"As a result, the Crown was left with little other evidence linking the offender to that offence," said Dan McLaughlin with the BC Prosecution Service.

The girl's mother passed away in 2016, but said previously that she'd made a vow to her daughter.

"I promised her at her graveside I would never give up," Shari Greer said at a news conference in 2014.

A private investigator who looked into the case said she was unwavering in her search for answers.

"She was extremely determined in finding out who killed her daughter and to see that he comes to justice," Lee Hanlon said.

With files from CTV Vancouver's Maria Weisgarber

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:37:53 PM by D1 »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »
Thank you D1 for the info.  I guess Mr Big did not include Kathryn in their sting?

jb

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
Yes very strange. Couldn't find much detail as to why the sting was accepted in one case but not the other..
The Crown is not proceeding with the case because the confession which was permitted in the first case was ruled inadmissible in Kathryn's.