Author Topic: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)  (Read 58552 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2012, 02:41:35 AM »
Blondy: Thank you for responding. Her death has still not been resolved.

JB

SAP

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=257.0

This is from a news clipping
KATHRYN MARY HERBERT (11) - murdered in 1975
THERESA HILDEBRANDT (15) - murdered in 1976
ABBOTSFORD (British Columbia) CANADA
After 25 years, the question remains: Who killed Kathryn and Theresa?--(Abbotsford News)--Police have a suspect in Abbotsford's two unsolved child murders of the 1970s. The man is also a suspect in a third child slaying in Merritt. But police do not have the evidence to lay charges.

Whatever happened with this suspect?

SAP

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
Reward offered in 1975 killing of Matsqui girl

By Mike Raptis, The Province March 8, 2012

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Reward+offered+1975+killing+Matsqui+girl/6267606/story.html#ixzz1obAJ3UBd

The mid 70's is when Bobby Fowler, an American serial killer was going through BC for work stints. Iirc, his MO fits here.
He is listed here at Unsolved under Serial killers. He has deceased now however police are looking at a number of murders in BC in relation to his MO and time frame.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:02:57 PM by SAP »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
I have wondered in the past how people manage, that hire private investigators.  How many crimes are solved with a private investigator's help.  I see that Kathryn-Mary's mother hired one, but still no answers. 

Would someone like Bobby Fowler have cause to be on the Reservation?    It sounds to me that Kathryn-Mary was found on Native Land since she was found by band members preparing an ancient burial rite.

Her mother has faced so much heartbreak, to solve this crime would give her some much needed answers.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »
There is nothing more frustrating, and heart breaking than knowing that the case is basically solved, but killer got away due to lack of evidence.  This is understandable before DNA analysis was available.  LE "know" that their main suspect is the killer.  One has to question what happened to the crime scene evidence.  Was it mishandled, tainted, lost, before DNA technology was available?  The only historical cases being solved today with forensics, are those where LE had the foresight to handle the evidence properly, which any trained investigator should have done.  Unfortunately, many of the old cases will never see the killer brought to justice.  But you can bet that LE know exactly who the killer is. 

SAP

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »
I have wondered in the past how people manage, that hire private investigators.  How many crimes are solved with a private investigator's help.  I see that Kathryn-Mary's mother hired one, but still no answers. 

Would someone like Bobby Fowler have cause to be on the Reservation?    It sounds to me that Kathryn-Mary was found on Native Land since she was found by band members preparing an ancient burial rite.

Her mother has faced so much heartbreak, to solve this crime would give her some much needed answers.

I didn't put alot of thought into that Jobo. Fowler's victims were also older females, not children as far as we know.
So unfortunate so much evidence was lost between files being transferred from one detective to another. It's also shocking that police lost the letters and then had the nerve to say they thought that would bring closure. How could they even consider that? This is so tragic all the way around.

Hazel Main

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
Man charged in deaths of B.C. girls nearly 40 years later

BY STAFF REPORTER, THE PROVINCE DECEMBER 1, 2014 2:24 PM

A man has been charged with first-degree murder of Abbotsford's Kathryn-Mary Herbert (l) and Monica Jack (r).

Nearly 40 years after they were murdered, a suspect has been charged in the deaths of Monica Jack, 12, and Kathryn-Mary Herbert, 11.

Mounties say suspect Gary Taylor Hanlon, 67, http://www.theprovince.com/news/bc/charged+deaths+girls+nearly+years+later/10430792/story.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
THis is super great news! I cannot believe it! In case anyone missed it, ehre is the documentary from David Ridgen a couple years ago on CBC!

https://vimeo.com/51664791

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »

Tamsyn Burgmann, The Canadian Press
Published Monday, December 1, 2014 8:24PM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 1, 2014 9:10PM EST
VANCOUVER -- Shari Greer made a promise to her 11-year-old daughter as she grieved over the girl's grave site that she would never give up the hunt for the killer.
Almost 40 year later, Greer says she's still wrapping her head around an arrest made on Friday that brings resolution to her mission.
Mounties in British Columbia revealed Monday they have arrested and charged a 67-year-old Ontario man with first-degree murder in the historic deaths of two young girls, who separately vanished near their homes in the 1970s.
PHOTOS

A photo of Garry Taylor Handlen, who has been charged in relation to the homicides of Kathryn-Mary Herbert and Monica Jack, is displayed during a news conference in Surrey, B.C., on Monday Dec. 1, 2014. (Darryl Dyck / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Kathryn-Mary Herbert, 11, disappeared in Abbotsford, B.C., in 1975, and 12-year-old Monika Jack was last seen in Merritt, B.C., three years later.
"When this is over, I am going to have a well-deserved breakdown. I will forever hear my heart break," Greer, Herbert's mother, told a news conference after police thanked her for her relentless advocacy over the years.
"I want you to know these two little girls, Monica and Kathryn-Mary, made a difference in this world while they were here."
Both girls disappeared while travelling alone on roads in the southern part of the province.
Officers refused to provide specifics of what led to the breakthrough, saying they brought Garry Handlen into custody without incident in Surrey, B.C., although he no longer lives in the province.
Supt. Ward Lymburner, the officer in charge of the special projects unit, said three decades of investigation by multiple police forces combined to pinpoint the same suspect.
He described Handlen as having travelled extensively through B.C. and Alberta at the time and released his photograph from that era, asking the public to come forward with tips if it jogs any memories. He said the man previously lived in Lower Mainland and has a criminal record.
"He was brought into the investigation as a suspect or person of interest in the investigation early on," Lymburner said.
"It has taken us this long for us to gather the evidence needed to satisfy the courts to bring him forward on charges today."
He wouldn't comment on any existence of DNA evidence, but said all advances in forensic technology have been brought to bear.
Herbert was reported missing on Sept. 24, 1975, after failing to return home from a friend's house in Abbotsford, B.C., about 8:30 p.m. She was last seen by another friend who doubled her on his bicycle part-way, police said.
The girl's body turned up two months later in an undeveloped area of a First Nations reserve, prompting a series of investigations that included the issuing of a private $10,000 reward in 2012.
Monika Jack was last spotted on May 6, 1978. She was riding her bicycle alone along a stretch of Highway 5A, near the Nicola Ranch in Merritt, B.C., more than 200 km northeast from where Herbert disappeared.
The girl's bicycle was found down an embankment the following afternoon, not far from where she lived, but it took 17 years to find her body. Remains were discovered in a rural area north of the city, after a fire.
Investigators added the mystery of Jack's death to Project E-PANA, which had been probing 18 unsolved homicides or missing-women cases along B.C. highways. In 2007, new investigators reviewed 500 previously-conducted police tasks and initiated 241 more tasks, including a series of re-interviews and new forensic analysis.
"Every time I hear news on the TV about some other little girl or boy disappearing or they found them murdered, it really hurts me. I know how that feels," said Jack's mother, Madeline Lanaro.
"We expect our parents to die but we don't expect our children to die."
Handlen remains in custody and is scheduled to next appear in Abbotsford Provincial Court on Dec. 8.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-man-arrested-in-1970s-murders-of-two-b-c-girls-1.2128149

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
I think Hazel Main had a clue that an announcement would be made soon. She brought the topic back only a few days ago. :)

Wonderful news!! and it's great to "see you" Chris.
 ;D
JB
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:41:42 PM by jellybean »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2014, 10:13:32 PM »
So good to see Shari and Monica's mother finally getting to see some sort of justice..
40 years later for a suspect identified on day one. Can hardly wait to hear what finally made the difference.

SAP

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Fantastic news for the families as they now can put their loved ones to rest and have justice finally.

I wonder what this monster did in the last 40 years as I doubt he turned alterboy. Perhaps there are more cases across Canada that have similar MO.

SAP

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »
Handlen

ConcernedCitizen

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »
I am so happy for both the parents of little Kathryn-Mary Herbert & Monica Jack.
You have waited so long.
Prayers are with both families & friends.

The arrest of 67 year old Gary Taylor Handlen. It's surprising what happens when the
Police Forces finally decide to share information. I hope the Crown can make the case
against him stick & he gets life (a full 25 years...nothing less.)  I would prefer the
Death Penalty for people like him. I think one day it just may be installed again.
I'm hoping. :)   Probably won't be in my life time though.... But the general public I
think are getting so fed up with the justice system. letting offenders out on bail
or early release to keep re-offending. Raping & Murdering over & over again until they
are again caught & once again released.  IMO our justice system is just sickening.
---------------------