Author Topic: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)  (Read 59660 times)

Lillie

• View Profile
Re: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
Yes, one of the moms emailed my sister as soon as corrections called her. She said she just felt it is finally over. And, like the burden she has carried for all of these years has been lifted. Oh God, how I wish I could say those words. *SIGH*
Shari

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »
Hi Lillie,

There is a thread on this site for Clifford Olson. You can find it under serial killers.

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »
Thanks will take a look
Shari

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
Thought of you again Lillie when I read about Sherri McLaughlin's killer. They first named him in the press then the Police confirmed it without ever charging him. His name was published again. Small satisfaction I know but better than nothing and if it had been earlier may have saved a huge amount of grief for the families of later victims. Canadian killers get off far too lightly and then just carry on walking around anonymously amongst us seeking their next victim. Something is wrong with our system.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5402.msg72420#msg72420

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
From another recent story- Police and media name suspected killer but only as a person of interest. It was once said that the poi in Kathryn's murder was publicly named in the media years ago. I understand that a lawsuit had been threatened and is of concern now if that name were to be published again. If I understand corectly, the name can be mentioned at least as a poi if he is incarcerated? Does that mean the poi here is not behind bars? Is he still alive? Is he from a wealthy family? Does he have subsequent convictions since Kathryn? Can he be discussed aside from mentioning his name?
from news report -poi named-
http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/LocalNews/story.aspx?ID=1555290

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
Hello Again. To tell you the truth, I do not remember him being named. Nor, do I remember anything about a lawsuit. I have PTSD and so am not the most reliable in some areas.
I do not know if they would have done that back then because there was no warning about this kind of waste of skin. Today, the police would have been at my door warning me about him. How I wish they had done this before.
There was an arrest for sexual assault, where he beat her and left her for dead. This one was after Kath's murder.
Shari

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
I'm sorry Shari, I can only imagine what it has been like for you. I did ask you once if you still had hopes for justice and I know you said you do. It's sure a tough job to get there though. Was he convicted of this other assault? Was that in the same town?

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »
Thank you.
If memory serves, he got 18 yrs and that was appealed. I do not know what he ended up getting. Apparently, Wally Oppal wanted to keep him in for a very long time, but, it didn't happen. And, this one was in the Okanogan.
This guy has been off the radar since his release, doing his full time so he did not have to report to a parole officer.
One day, he will pay for all he has done. Whether he killed my baby gorl or not, he is guilty of other horrific crimes. He WILL get his due.
Shari

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
An announcement will be made by RCMP in the New Year concerning an up to, $10,000.00 reward, for information resulting in the arrest and conviction of her murderer.
Love
Shari\aka Lillie

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
Wonderful news Lillie, I hope this will be the year for Kathryn's justice! 

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
Me too, honey. Me too
Thanks
Love
MOI

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »
Reward offered in 1975 killing of Matsqui girl

By Mike Raptis, The Province March 8, 2012

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Reward+offered+1975+killing+Matsqui+girl/6267606/story.html#ixzz1obAJ3UBd

Kathi's Sister

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2012, 03:51:01 AM »
Wishing and hoping for justice for you, Lillie. It's been 36 years of waiting for me, too, so I hope this reward manages to shake something loose in someone's memory somewhere.

Hugs for ya. Big ones.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
36 year old murder case revived
by The Canadian Press - Story: 72159
Mar 8, 2012 / 9:48 pm

Photo: The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
Kathryn-Mary Herbert is shown in this undated RCMP handout photo. RCMP Major Crime investigators are seeking the public's assistance in relation to the1975 homicide of Kathryn-Mary Herbert. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO
VANCOUVER - The mother of an 11-year-old girl who was murdered more than 36 years ago says she recently asked God to help find her daughter's killer.

A week later, Shari Greer received an anonymous donation of $10,000 to help move the cold case forward.

Greer said she is now offering the reward for information that will lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who killed her daughter, Kathyrn-Mary Herbert.

"Someone knows what happened and who did this to her," Greer said during a Thursday news conference. "I hope with the passage of time this person will come forward and call the police with any information they may have."

The partially decomposed body of Herbert was found Nov. 17, 1975, on the Matsqui First Nations reserve, in British Columbia's Fraser Valley, about 80 kilometres east of Vancouver.

The young girl, described by her mother as a child who loved to sing and could play piano by ear, was last seen Sept. 24, 1975.

She had been visiting the home of a friend in Abbotsford, B.C., and was walking down a rural road when a friend offered to give her a ride on a bicycle.

RCMP Insp. Gary Shinkaruk said Herbert accepted the ride, and the friends parted ways at an intersection at about 8:50 p.m.

"Kathyrn-Mary never arrived home, and this was the last-known sighting of her," Shinkaruk.

Witnesses interviewed during the investigation recalled seeing a white, older-model, American-made vehicle driven by a lone male and parked between where Herbert was last seen and her home, said Shinkaruk.

He said the occupant of the vehicle has never been positively identified, and police believe he may have information that can help the case.

"We still have persons of interest," he said. "But to date we do not have sufficient evidence against anybody to lay a charge or bring somebody to justice."

Shinkaruk said there are some similarities between the disappearance of two other girls in the area, but police have not been able to definitively connect all three cases.

Shinkaruk said police have cracked historic homicides in the past thanks to advancement in technology, such as DNA, and the deterioration of relationships between killers and their friends.

Whatever the reason, whether its maturity or revenge, individuals who have information should talk to police, he said.

Greer has never lost hope that police will find her daughter's killer, and said she relies on her faith in God to carry her through the tragedy.

She thinks about her daughter every day, one of three children she has buried, and frequently deals with grief, Greer said.

"It's always there," said Greer. "It's always present. There is no such thing as closure, only resolution."
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--4-.htm

blondy

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
When I was 11, I was often followed home by a white car with red interior. Other girls my age that went to South Poplar School were also followed by the same vehicle.

I was terrified of the very short-haired/bald driver. I used to run and hide every time I saw the car.

Then one day I heard screaming unlike anything I have heard since coming from the property on the corner of McCallum and Farmer. My parents assured me that they reported it to the police. Shortly after, we heard about the remains of a little girl who was murdered.

Years later, I became friends with the last known persons to be with girl who disappeared from Walmsley Road. They also reported seeing a white car with red shiny interior.

Years ago, I went to the police after hearing about the poor mother who wanted this situation resolved and answered.

I hope they resolve this.