Author Topic: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)  (Read 56170 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Kathryn Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
Some of this information sounds a little close to home for what happened To Kathryn Mary. More investigation close to home should take place and the person or persons who committed this crime should be brought to justice. When police have a gut feeling, why don't they just get in there and go for the gold. Too much time passes and it is unlikely that Kathryn's murder will ever be solved. We need more women to be Police Chief's in Canada. I am not a man hater, but they just don't have the intuition that women have. Come on let us get this crime solved, even after all this time let us get it solved and have justice for this child Kathryn Mary Herbert, RIP Kathryn. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 09:08:57 AM »

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »
thanks chris,   that was a good clip, lots of info well presented.  Very interesting about lost letters, one strong suspect, and yet no one charged.  Must go check out sites for the other posssible victims.

D1

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
Very well done, great detail, many interesting leads. So who is the suspect no one is naming? A convicted sex offender, implicated in other murders by way of circumstance; one being Monica Jack in which Clifford Olson was once named as a possible suspect. Did he live in Abbotsford back then?

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
I don't know the name of the person of interest but remember kathy's mom saying a few years ago she was going to go visit him. 
Whomever he is he was a known sex offender.  But again there are some weird things with this story.  A convicted sex offender was dating a girl living with them at the time - maybe this fact was not known prior to Kathy's disappearance.  But this child was not sexually assaulted.  She was beaten to death which indicates rage. Who could hate a small child this much to beat her to death.  Also the mom reports that  in those days" murder victims had to be buried in the clothes they died in. I have yet to find any information to verify this but that seems wrong.  Also her shallow grave was pretty simple  no indication by that that whomever buried her had much experience in  burying people so I question whether it could have been a serial killer at all.  Its too personal. 
Its just horrible tht this case remain unsolved after all these years.
Very well done, great detail, many interesting leads. So who is the suspect no one is naming? A convicted sex offender, implicated in other murders by way of circumstance; one being Monica Jack in which Clifford Olson was once named as a possible suspect. Did he live in Abbotsford back then?

D1

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
yes why? why? why? Seems everyone who has looked into this has come up with the same name. Yet nothing more is being said about him and nothing is being done.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
Wow did anyone get to see the documentary?

The man, the main suspect is also a suspect in 2 other murders in the area in the late 1970's.

He is now somewhere in western Canada.

Remember, there was also a string of murders of simular aged girls in 1976\77 west of calgary and 1981 in Standard Alberta.

According to the documentary, the mans name was published in the origincal news accounts in the 70's.

Sleuth

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
It always, always bothers me when young children are murdered and their killer(s) are not found. That is so wrong. If someone knows something, anything, even if it seems insignificant, but bothers you for some reason, please do the right thing and come forward with what you know. Please help a family find justice.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
Oh, this is unreal this documentary. All of these police officers should not get their pensions. These people, what were they doing, they certainly were not doing their jobs. And why would they not want to solve a case of a young girl that was murdered. Why, especially when he could be a serial killer. Imagine, they buried her clothes with her, give me a break. Were they just dumb, didn't care. Especially having a suspect, they could have had this case solved in weeks. I just feel like Kathryn's mother feels, hound them until she goes to the grave to take this individual to court. This man admits to talking with her and the police just let him get away with murder. These individuals who investigated this case make me sick. And to think that two letters were written to the RCMP and they lost them, well they should be fired. How sloppy is that, what in the heck do they think is important, if not solving the murder of an 11 year old. To have such a clue in solving the case, these two letters and losing them, I just can't believe it. It is the sloppiest form of investigation I have ever seen on any true crime show. God bless her mom and my prayers go out to her. I hope that this person is charged with the murder of this young lady. A disgusting display of police work, it makes me sick to my stomach. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
Actually, the two letters were written to Kathryn-Mary after her death. The police didn't take them to her mom (ME) to see if I could identify the author. Instead, they were sent to RCMP lab where they were lost. They wrote to me telling me they hoped I had closure knowing they couldn't find them.
Police have tried to cover up all of their mistakes all along. I have known only two officers who really cared about her death. One in the very beginning, (he was one the documentary) and another who took over her case in 1992.
I need to say this,...when my daughter was killed, no one warned anyone in those days about sex offenders. When the girl was dating that waste of skin, I, nor she, had any inkling of what he was.
Another thing I wish to address, are the other remarks made by a former friend on this board...saying things about my son and a bicycle. My son did not own a bicycle. He did not carry his sister some 15 or 20 miles away to dispose of her. He agonized over her death and not being able to solve it, and he died by suicide when he was 21. Her friend doubled her part way home on his bike. Three of my five children have died. I have two remaining sons who moved in with me when their adopted father died to take care of me. I am truly blessed with these sons.
Thank you all for caring.
Shari[/b]

D1

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »
Hi Lillie, we all feel so sorry for what has happened to you and your family and wish we could do more to help. What the police have done is inexcusable. Don't worry, the story about your son fell on deaf ears around here but the record has been set straight.

I have long wondered who that "waste of skin"may be. I read that he may be involved in other similar crimes and wonder who those victims were. I wonder if he is still incarcerated. Lastly, I wonder why no one names this waste of skin?

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »
There is nothing I would like better then to name names...but, I cannot. I could be sued big time for doing that. I just do not have the funds to ward off a law suit.
As for the police. I wish I could say they are doing their jobs, but, they have had leads for over two years they have done nothing about. What Canada needs is for each province to have a panel that over sees police work. The panel should be made up of nonpolitical members. Probably, regular people who have no designs on political aspirations.
As it stands now...it is the LAW that police are accountable to no one for their method of doing or in this case NOT doing their JOBS.
Thanks for your kind words
Shari

D1

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
I completely agree, and I believe more and more people are recognizing the same..
What Canada needs is for each province to have a panel that over sees police work. The panel should be made up of nonpolitical members. Probably, regular people who have no designs on political aspirations.

For now, we are as close to being that panel as there is. No one agrees with how this has and is being handled, it has gone on far too long..Perhaps there is more than one way to skin this cat..Is his a name we would recognize from other crimes or some publicity?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:04:54 PM by D1 »

Lillie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
Hi...you said "Is his a name we would recognize from other crimes or some publicity?"
Perhaps, because he is a convicted sex offender. However, dropping his name in here or anywhere for that matter would be against the law...criminals have more rights then victims and their families.
Shari

D1

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
I know, it's awful how many rights the perpetrators have in this country. In the U.S. you can click on a website map and it will show where all the sex offenders live in your neighborhood.

Some individuals here believe that when our children are being killed the laws have to be stretched a little. Some people are willing to risk the consequences. This guy for instance runs a private online sex offender registry. Perhaps this "waste of skin" is already on there? Once published he is open territory.
http://www.rwnicholson.com/Sex%20Offenders.htm

I'm not suggesting you post the name, I completely understand, but maybe there are some other options worth exploring yet. I'm for whatever it takes to catch this guy and shut him down forever. Hopefully that will happen yet.

Shari, I remember watching a news program in Vancouver quite a few years back running the story of a woman who had collected a whole scrap book full of sex offender cases heard in the courts. Would that have been you? ..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:50:46 PM by D1 »