Author Topic: Kathryn-Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)  (Read 54794 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
ON SEPTEMBER 24, 1975, ELEVEN YEAR OLD KATHRYN-MARY HERBERT OF ABBOTSFORD, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA WAS ABDUCTED ON HER WAY HOME FROM A FRIEND'S.
HER DECOMPOSED BODY WAS FOUND ON NOVEMBER 17,1975 IN THE MATSQUI AREA,

THE PRIME SUSPECT IN THIS CASE IS A CONVICTED RAPIST, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER.  HE IS NOW FREE AND HAS NEVER BEEN CHARGED.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/childrenoftheheavens/heavensangelskathrynmaryherbert.html

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA FOR SOLVING THIS OR
KNOWLEDGE DIRECTLY INVOLVING THIS OR ANY
OTHER UNSOLVED MURDER IN THE FRASER VALLEY/KAMLOOPS AREAS, PLEASE CONTACT SGT PAUL BRIGGS AT THE ABBOTSFORD POLICE AT 1.604.859.5225

P.S. This crime may be related to the murder of THERESA HILDEBRANDT in 1976

Watch the CBC docmentary here:
http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/011d0ab31c
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:08:30 AM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Kathryn Mary Herbert - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford BC (1975)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:08:39 AM »
Makes you wonder how many people that guy who police now believe was Stoppels real killer (1981) who commited suicide? Even have to wonder about Kelly in Standard AB.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
From Kindheart

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cold_case/herbert_e.htm

This case on now the RCMP cold case website.

Name: Homicide of Kathryn-Mary HERBERT (SUTTON)

Details: On September 24th, 1975, the mother of 11 year old Kathryn-Mary HERBERT, reported her daughter missing to the Abbotsford Police Department. Ms. HERBERT was last known to be alive on September 24th, 1975 at around 8:50 pm while walking home along a rural road near 1777 Townline Road, Abbotsford, B.C. after she was dropped off by a friend.

On November 17th, 1975, the body of Kathryn-Mary HERBERT was found in a rural undeveloped area of the Matsqui Indian Reserve, Matsqui, B.C.

Contact: If you have any information about this case, please contact Sgt. Laura Livingstone, E-Division (British Columbia) Major Crime Section, at 1-877-543-4822 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

File: Abbotsford Police Department File #1975-7072
  E-Division Major Crime Section File #2004E-363 

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:02:33 AM »
That is so sad. I hope that for the Mothers sake this case gets solved. It must be horrible to lose a child but even worse to not know who murdered her. Maybe we should add a top 10 cases list on this site and list them prominantly on this site.

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »
Yes the babys first that is something that really pulls at my heart.I know if I was a mother of a child who was taken from me raped and murderd I would never stop on tell the person who did this to my child was found.

I have seen first hand what some of the Mothers have gone thought only to have Doctors givnging them more and more pain killers on tell they can't even think for themselfs anymore trying to kill the pain of there lost loved one,And then them selfs become lost in a world of pill bottles and lost memeries. :'(

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:44:42 PM »
OK, I will work on this tonightl. Good idea, children first!

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:05:02 AM »
From Kindheart
OK, I will work on this tonightl. Good idea, children first!
I totally am in support. I would also like to see more info on missing men and am adding everyday to my database on this.
We have 8000 missing in our country and 400 are unident HR.
Lots of work to do and share! I have heard others express frustration over the gender bias and see their concerns.

notmissing89

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »
What is an STW?
I cannot imagine the pain that mother is going through...first have her son drown one year...then have her daughter kidnapped and murdered the next year..then have her only child left commit suicide only a few years later...I wouldnt be sane ever again if only my daughter died...let alone all 3 kids 2 of them not even teens yet.
I wonder if these murderers and rapists know the pain they cause everyone?What drives someone to do something so horriffic to someone so little and precious?It makes me SICK :'(

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
Hi notmissing89,

A STW is a sex trade worker.

I wonder if these murderers and rapists know the pain they cause everyone?

No, I think most could care less. Like pedophiles, they are only concerned with finding another victim, they do not feel anything for the victims they leave behind. PRetty sad, I too feel horrible for that mother.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 04:38:36 PM »
I came across Kathryn Mary's unsolved tragic murder on another site and checked to see if it was here. Her mom has had so much grief and tragedy in her life, more then any one person should have to bear. My prayers and thoughts go to her on this day. This monster that raped and killed Kathryn Mary, I cannot believe that he is free. He has done other crimes and this is what has happened, well if anything crys for justice, this does. Why would this person be free to commit such heinous crimes. There are many unsolved murders of young persons on the west coast and also missing persons, they could be connected to this pervert. I hope the police know of his whereabouts and keep a close eye on what he is up to. No child is safe from harm when those perverted people are walking the streets. We must all be sure to keep an eye on the children and make sure they don't walk alone. Prayers to her mom and family. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

D1

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:25 PM »
Yaa, pretty suspicious. So there is a name out there somewhere. A serial rapist. A few more details and maybe this could be solved.

D1

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:41 AM »
That may be possible, but as Mrs. Greer has indicated, the problem is that the procedure for collecting and analysing the DNA is all controlled by the RCMP. It appears that an effort is being made not to solve this case, indicative of a protected suspect/informant. I think if the name of the alleged suspect could be obtained that may provide links to other crimes and like T. Arnold may uncover a pattern of protection.  Putting two and two together is all we have right now. There is a name out there somewhere, were there anough details left behind to figure out who he was? He apparently did time twice in Matsqui for rape, maybe those dates would coincide with a court record or news story?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 01:42:15 AM »
for collecting and analysing the DNA is all controlled by the RCMP

Although the administer that, I thought it was up to a court to choose if that gets done. I am pretty certain this can be done with or without RCMP consent. I think the big issue though is getting these tested, it takes 8 months to a few years to test DNA in Canada.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 05:36:36 AM »
I am familiar with this case and my heart aches for the family of this young girl.

I however have some questions:
1) Why did this mother allow a girl dating a convicted sexual offender to live in her home when she had small children? Was this guy ever at her house?
2) Kathryn Mary was not sexually assaulted. She was beaten to death and not even really buried but hidden under some wood. It seems to me that a serial killer or one who had gone on a hunt for a young child to kill would have had his "fun" with her first and at least made an attempt to hide her little body????  Why would someone beat a young girl to death? This is a sign of anger, great anger at the victim. She was not raped, stabbed or shot or strangled. She was beaten to death. This does not fit the norm for murders of young children unless it is usually family related ( mother or father or sibling) from my research.
3) Her older brother suicided years later, apparently suffering from schizophrenia. Is it possible that he was sent to find her when she did not return home when she was supposed to and was angry at her for having to go look for her and ended up beating her himself?
The mother states that her son suicided because he felt so hopeless that he was unable to see his sister's murder solved. Is it possible that he was feeling guilt over her death? Whatever happened to the letter written to her after her death? The details of that letter have never been  published.
I don't say this to be cruel but it IS possible. Long before those are diagnosed with schizophrenia, there are signs. Perhaps this young man resented her, she being the only girl in this family, the princess in her mother's eyes and maybe this kid resented having to take care of her and his other siblings?
Although I have little faith in most RCMP detachments, USUALLY when it involves the death of an innocent caucasian child they DO act. Why is it in this case they seem to have not acted?...lost evidence??????.... etc.??????

Just a thought.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »
Wow good questions. Yes, pedophiles and serial killers definetly would do more. This does seem like an odd case.