Author Topic: Melissa Jane Letain - February 13, 1987 - Age 24 - Murdered - Edmonton  (Read 147218 times)

D1

• View Profile
Re: Melissa Jane Letain - February 13, 1987 - Age 24 - Murdered - Edmonton
« Reply #360 on: April 03, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »
Any coincidence is worth looking into, this one for the reasons stated and maybe more. I too think of Mellissa a times. The odd movie, Valentines day etc.. She sticks with you. I've always though more could have been and still could be done by Rcs. Those bags out on the ice for instance. Too coincidental, what was in them? Where did they originate? Why not say? Any new lead or new tip would seemingly have to come from new info.. Time to have another look and release a bit more?

bestcho

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
Not really sure how close to the Genesee bridge that was. Breton has to be 40-50 km away, I would guess. And I've never before, heard of the Genesee woodland preserve or forest.

bestcho

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »
Just googled St. Francis. 5 miles from Genesee

dalma

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
I'm very sad to hear that this has never been solved.

I lived in the same building that she did and in fact her and her boyfriend lived across the hall from me. I didn't know them well but I ran into them from time to time and helped them move in some furniture when the first arrived.

The night she was discovered I returned home from a late dinner with my girlfriend to find my building surrounded by police. As I approached the door to building I was told that the building was secured and I couldn't enter. Once I proved that I lived there I was told to head up to my suite and wait for the detective who would be interviewing me.

They shared very little information, in fact I didn't who was missing or what had happened until I watched the news afterwards.

As I recall they interviewed me for an hour or more and then followed up with my work and friends to verify my story.

It was quite a shock that someone so nice and so close to home could be murdered. I have never spoken with anyone in her family but if any of you still visit this my heart goes out to you.

Several years ago I was flying from Edmonton when I sat next to a man and after striking up a conversation I learned that he lived near the Genesee area. I asked if he recalled the case of Melissa and he did. He went on to share a theory that he and others that lived in area had about the killer. He went on to describe a man he grew up with in the area that was a real mean troublemaker (I don't recall if he ever mentioned a name). He stated that he believed this man to be responsible. I asked if he had ever reported to this to the police and he mentioned that this man was dead already.

I have no idea if he really knew anything but I sure hope that some day we learn who was responsible.

madtrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
I'm a private citizen who has spent a great deal of time investigating this case. It has been a roller coaster of theories and bunny trails for me over the last few years. Without going into a lot of details, through this process, it has become my personal view that this case is the work of a serial killer. The standard definition of serial killer is of someone who has killed two or more victims with a cooling off period in between. Clearly there isn't a second case that I'm aware of that's tied to Melissa's case. My belief that this is the work of a serial killer is very simple. This person has killed hundreds, if not thousands of times. In his mind, that is. Serial killing is born in fantasy and after many years, the person crosses the line from fantasy into actually killing someone. It's not the number of victims that matter. It's the mindset and motivation behind the killing that is the defining trait.
These killers are the most difficult to catch. The organized ones (which Melissa's was), plan very carefully in order not to get caught. One of the criteria they use is to make sure they don't victimize someone they know personally, this reduces the chances of the police finding a connection between the killer and the victim. I believe this is the primary reason police have never been able to solve this case. They are dealing with a complete stranger. However, whether the killer likes it or not, his actions and methodology tells a story, and gives us a glimpse into his mind and thought processes. That story is what keeps me working on this.
A number of years ago, there was some profiling work done on this case and the conclusion was that the guy had a rope fetish, couldn't keep a job and didn't like authority. In other words, a loser. I don't necessarily agree with this profile. In fact, it's pretty lame if you ask me. He doesn't have a rope fetish, he has a fetish for killing innocent people to meet his own depraved needs. This killer was organized, meticulous and planned well in advance. He's just as likely to be a family man with a wife, perhaps even kids,  gainfully employed or even a pillar of the community or in a position of authority. It could even be possible that the police spoke with him way back in the day but completely ruled him out because he simply didn't fit the preconceived mould of who they were looking for. History shows many such examples.
I would also like to add that I  firmly believe this was not his first rodeo, he's done it before. This was well planned and well executed although there were some miscalculations and some high risk behaviour but then again, nobody's perfect.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:20:35 PM by madtrapper »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
Madtrapper, I believe you are spot on. You may just be the catalyst that eventually solves this case.

madtrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Sap1, believe me, there have been many times when I've thrown my hands in the air and said to hell with it. But then, after a while, that little voice in my head comes back. The voice that won't let me quit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:02:41 PM by madtrapper »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
Back then, it would not have been unusual to be wearing two pairs of pantyhose in winter, in Alberta. I recall wearing fishnets with another skin toned pair underneath for warmth in the 80's.

Over the years I have thought of Melissa often, and wondered if her case had ever been solved. It was shocking to Edmontonians when two young women died violently within a couple of weeks. The other woman that comes to mind was Brenda McLennigan.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/jan-12-1986-brenda-mcclenaghan-goes-missing

Not the same perp but it gives a good idea how widespread these scum operate.

On Oct. 10, 1986, Tame pleaded guilty to the sex slaying and was sentenced to life imprisonment, with no chance for parole for 25 years, until 2011.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 02, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Sap1, believe me, there have been many times when I've thrown my hands in the air and said to hell with it. But then, after a while, that little voice in my head comes back. The voice that won't let me quit.

I know that feeling. I had been perusing unsolved and solved murders looking for similar MO's a lot in the past, across Canada and into USA. A person needs a break now and then to stay sane.

madtrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 02, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »
I remember the Brenda Mclenaghan murder. It was in the papers lots and it was horrific. There's a case and point to my previous statement. Brenda's killer was married with family. These types can be charming and well behaved until the mask comes off. They're experts at hiding amongst us and that's what makes them so dangerous.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2017, 01:38:40 AM »
No doubt there are many SK's traversing across Canada and back and forth into USA/Canada.

The man who killed Brenda had violence in his past but claimed to be a born again Christian and he unravelled in Edmonton when a job he wanted didn't turn out. Unless I am getting people mixed up, this is what I remember about him.
His prison time was up in 2011 and I wonder if he did get out of jail then.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »

Madtrapper =
As Sap1 says regarding SK, this reminds of Amber Tucarro http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3799.msg120816#msg120816

who was last seen getting into a vehicle in a motel parking lot situated in  Nisku.  Police feel that an SK is at large in the area.
In my opinion, he might also be a person who lives out of Province, but business would bring him into that area/.  A cluster of female bodies were found from time to time in the Nisku/Leduc area.

To quote poster CCF
on Amber's case He could be frequenting the Nisku area if he flies in and out of the airport on a 2/2 or 3/1 work rotation wherever he works at-Fort Mac, NWT, Northern B.C.-anywhere north really.  This could be why there is such little information about the vehicle she got into, he could have picked her up on his way in to Nisku to fly out the next day to his job or he was on his way home to Saskatchewan and their paths just happened to cross.

Not saying it is the same guy.  This case was in 2010.

He is still at large.  All seems to be quiet with him, so he may have moved out when jobs slowed down in AB.
Here are his characteristics of Amber's SK according to the RCMP profile.

"We don't necessarily use the terminology 'serial killer' because it seems to be terminology that is sensationalized by the media, by movies," RCMP Const. Tamara Bellamy told a news conference. "We prefer just 'serial offender.'"

A profile prepared by the RCMP's Behavioural Sciences Branch suggests the killer:

Drives a reliable, high-mileage truck, van or sport utility vehicle, and is comfortable driving in rural areas.
Likes to hunt, fish, camp or participate in other outdoor activities.
Has a past or present connection to the area south of Edmonton, including Leduc, Camrose and New Sarepta.
May clean his vehicle at odd times of the day.

"The public should not be discouraged from calling if the person that they suspect does not possess all of these traits," said a police news release about the profile. "We still want your calls.

"The offender is someone's neighbour, friend, brother or son."

Police have also identified three separate killing grounds around the Edmonton area that are being used for the murders.

Scary, scary stuff!!

jb

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:52:17 PM by jellybean »

Red Viewfinder

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 05, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
I was over by West Edmonton Mall today for an appointment and Melissa came to mind. It struck me, that at the time of her abduction, the neighbourhood would have been relatively new. Now the area definitely shows signs of age and decay. So many years have passed.
I cannot believe that her killer has not been caught. My theory is that it was absolutely someone she knew. Someone that she willingly went with.
I wonder if her parents are still living?  That she must be devastating to live with for over 30 years. I still hope that there is justice one day for Melissa.

RaeH

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 08, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
Hi Bestcho, I think this is the one.  Never heard of this one, until you mentioned it.
This area is near St. Francis, AB. It is confusing - Is Genessee water plant in that area, or Edmonton area, do you know?
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/04/01/body-of-missing-alberta-woman-found-by-police-in-densely-wooded-area-southwest-of-edmonton

I looked into this and was unable to find a cause of death. If also strangegulation I think this cause may be related. Not much info on this one for being a year ago already.