Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Melissa Jane Letain - February 13, 1987 - Age 24 - Murdered - Edmonton  (Read 48732 times)

scotsquine

• View Profile
Re: Melissa Jane Letain - February 13, 1987 - Age 24 - Murdered - Edmonton
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
madtrapper, you said that you had come up with a name of a 'person of interest', do you know where this person is now?  Do you know if he is alive or dead?  I also heard a name a while ago, but don't recall exactly what it was.  I will find out and we can compare notes, see if it is the same person.

madtrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 12, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
He is alive and after considerable time I've found out where he lives. He is still in Alberta, married with kids.

scotsquine

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
OK not the same guy, I heard that he had since committed suicide.

14bt

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 26, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
Well, I apologize for my absence and what may look as though I disappeared.
Life has its funny ways of throwing curve balls and I have been thrown a few over the past year.

Anyhow, please let me just add a few points with the hopes to clarify some issues and possibly help.

1. The dog kennels were outdoors. They had dog houses that were lines with straw.
2. Our "adult" supervisor to my snow shoe team was an alumni, not a teacher. He was a graduate of only a few years, still quite young. He travelled from Vancouver for this event.
3. He decided to send team up to school for help. Then we decided to try to crawl out, which is where we gave up attempt when ice was soft.
4. (bestscho) believe me, I was alot closer than a hundred yards away. If you remember the access road under the bridge, you would know where we ventured onto the ice. And knowing where she was, you would in turn know how close we would have been.
5. Not all teams from the school passes over the bridge; depending on which grade you were in, the race routes we're  different .
6. The school employee( not a teacher) whom looked after the dogs was; Blaine Thaughberger.
7. I had spare socks with me as we all did, you need to carry spares while you are out all day in the wet and cold.
8. James W is the young man in the video. I knew him. We were at the school together for two years. We are not one in the same.

I did not leave this forum for any other reason outside of my own life's curve balls.
I would like to help as much as my memory allows me.
I am now 4o and have a gorgeous daughter that I could never imagine how I would feel if this were to happen to her .

Bestcho- you will find that I am not a difficult person to deal with. Call me out all you like, because I am also a very straight forward person as well.
You were involved with the recovery etc. I am thinking that you would then also have sources and contacts that would verify any interviews with me.
Maybe check into it, message me if you would like my full name etc.
I can't find your oh so sly dare to me to speak up and stop gossiping dadadada.... But you need to know and realize , I am not playing, I for some unfortunate reason was there that day to find her. That event has turned out to be one of the worst in my life. Do not accuse me of gossiping. Go to your sources and verify.
You called me out, I am here.

My In laws live half an hour from the bridge, my cabin is at Jackfish, also close. Yet I never go there, but I think I may this afternoon and try a memory excerise my sister law taught me.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 26, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Thank you for that explanation 14bt. Unfortunately we sometimes rush to judgement ... We need to remember we are not Judge and jury here.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
Hey you are back! Frustration sets in and it has been a very very long time for bestcho too. I don't think any one who has even just read here over the years has forgotten. I still think the odd thought at the odd time. Somewhere awhile back, I saw a row of what looked like garbage bags placed so something behind it would be hidden from view. Works well for that purpose on flat ground. I couldn't help but to think of all those bags left behind laying all around Melissa. Why? Bestcho said they were all quite light. What was in them? Where did they come from? What the purpose? Just seems there is a whole other story waiting to be told out there.

James W

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 20, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
Hi Craig. Nice to know I am not the only one who remembers Melissa.
Ok so I am the guy in the news video from the school.
 I am going to say a few things about the school and I hope that hearing these things again from a second person will put to rest some of the misconceptions on here.
 The school was NOT a prison. End of story. There was NO prison nearby. Also end of story.
 No one at the school had anything to do with the murder. To leave the school and get to Edmonton to abduct and murder Melissa would mean leaving at a time that people would see you leave. Getting back late would also draw attention. ALSO anyone who was coming to the school for the race the next day would know that there would be a high traffic count that night and would not take a chance on dumping a body.
 If I remember correctly the night before was a fairly clear one, and it was warm for Feb as well.
 The bridge itself had a sidewalk on the sides of it with a railing between the walkway and the roadway.
 Taking a student out on the ice to see if they could help is not a suspicious act at all in these circumstances because at St Johns your taught to do the right thing. In this case trying to help. Plus it was the 1980s, dont try to put todays morals on yesterdays events.
 The glove was indeed school issue. We all had the same kind and our number was sewn on it to identify it in the laundry. Carrying extra socks was also normal because if you have ever had wet feet in winter you know that all you want is dry feet.
 That is it for now. It took me almost two hours to read this whole thread. Feel free to ask me any questions you want but lets focus on the facts here. A terrible thing happened to a beautiful young woman and only through the grace of God her body was found. Had we not found her that day I dont know if she WOULD have been found truth be told. As was stated earlyier, we left the school for about a week after and then when we came back we were gone again out in the bush on a dog run or a winter camping trip. To Melissa's family I again give you my condolences and I hope that one day this will be solved and you can have the peace you deserve.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 21, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
Thank you James for weighing in. I too think we went way off track here for some reason. I never heard anything untoward about the school and what happened there. My cousin's boy went there and that was mainly b/c his dad wanted him to get stronger as he was a mommy's boy and very tender. He grew there, into a well rounded man. 

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:12 PM »
Old pair of pantyhose not belonging to Melissa ... from another victim? I'm hoping they were preserved for testing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/09/hairdressers-valentines-day-slaying-in-edmonton-remains-unsolved

Melissa Jane Letain unsolved February 1987 homicide. Letain was last seen leaving work at a popular West Edmonton Mall hair salon where she worked as a hair stylist on Feb. 13, 1987. She was carrying Valentine�s Day gifts for her boyfriend. It is believed someone abducted her from the walkway leading to her apartment, which was near WEM. Her body was found on Feb. 14, 1987 west of Edmonton under the Genesse Bridge on the ice of the North Saskatchewan River. She was spotted by a 14-year-old boy and his friends from the Saint John's School of Alberta. An autopsy revealed she died of asphyxiation, ligature strangulation. The killer used a hangman's noose made of 7 coils from looks like standard yellow nylon rope. Items of Melissa's never recovered was a CN Trucking key chain (a clear rectangular acrylic key chain) with a single key, a woman's gold tone watch with a rectangular face, a blue leather or leather looking woman's wallet and a green clutch purse with a gold clasp. Edmonton Sun/QMI Agency

Article

Cold cases

It was a cold winter night in 1987 when Melissa Jane Letain left work, carrying a rose, card and pennant in a plastic bag for a romantic evening with her boyfriend on Valentine’s Day.

She left work at Champs Elysee hair salon in West Edmonton Mall, walking home around 9 p.m., headed for the apartment she shared with her boyfriend at 17744 81 Ave.

The 24-year-old hair stylist took her normal route home along the cement walkway between houses in the area of 87 Avenue and 177 Street, unaware that a predator was stalking her movements.

Lurking in the shadows was a killer, who grabbed Letain and dragged her to a waiting vehicle, leaving the Valentine’s gifts scattered in the snow.

A woman walking in the same area later told police she became aware of the assault when she heard a groan or gurgling sound. She turned and saw a man clutching a woman and hushing her to be quiet before she was dragged away. It was the last time Letain would ever be seen alive.

Her co-workers knew something was wrong when the reliable Letain failed to show up for her 10 a.m. shift the next day. They called her boyfriend to see if they could find her, but he didn’t know where she was.

That same day, Letain’s body was found 75 km southwest of Edmonton under the Genesee Bridge on the ice of the North Saskatchewan River. She had been physically and sexually assaulted, then dumped over the bridge.

The killer used a yellow nylon rope with a hangman’s noose of seven coils to strangle his victim. A pair of old pantyhose that didn’t belong to Letain were found beside her body.

Craig Gordon was 14 years old when he attended the all boys private school near the Genesee bridge. The school hosted snow shoe races every year around Valentine’s Day. The races began early in the morning and crossed over the Genesee bridge.

On the morning of Feb. 14, 1987, Gordon set out with his team of six classmates for the 25 km trek that would take all day to complete. He lost one of his gloves when he was goofing around on the bridge railing, but he couldn’t see where it fell due to the morning darkness.

Later that day, Gordon and his group crossed back over the bridge on their way back to school. He looked over the railing to see if he could spot his glove. It was lying in the middle of the ice, along with the body of a young woman.

“From first glance you could tell that something was seriously wrong with the situation. The way she looked was disturbing,” said Gordon, noting there was a yellow rope and some other items in garbage bags that were strewn around the body. A pair of pantyhose was tied to the opposite end of the rope.

The rest of the team went back to the school, but Gordon, with the adult chaperone, headed down below the bridge to try and reach the lifeless woman. The pair attempted to crawl on the ice on their hands and knees, but the ice was too soft. There was no way to reach the body other than to call police. Gordon had no doubt the girl was already dead.

“It was sickly disturbing,” said Gordon, who spent the week with his family in Edmonton following the discovery of Letain. “I was a wreck. I slept with my sister the whole time when I was home. I had dreams and mind games just playing with my head that the guy saw us or the guy knew it was us that saw the body. I was fortunate to have a father who could sit down with me and say as much as it’s affecting you, imagine how it’s affecting the family of Melissa.”

A few Letain’s belongings were never recovered, including a CN trucking key chain with a single key, a woman’s watch, a blue leather or leather looking woman’s wallet and a green clutch purse with a gold clasp.

Her death sent a chill through the city that winter. In less than seven weeks between February and March, three local women disappeared or were found slain, including Letain. But police said none of the cases were connected.

Cpl. Rick Jané with the RCMP historical homicide unit is now the lead investigator on the case. He’s still waiting for the missing link that could lead police to Letain’s killer.

“Some unsolved are solved due to advances in forensic science and the RCMP continues to evaluate potential forensic testing as new technology emerges,” said Jané. “Unsolved homicides are often solved when a member of the public who has information about the murder makes the decision to come forward to police and provide that information.”

pamela.roth@sunmedia.ca

@SUNpamelaroth

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:34:12 PM by SAP »

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
Garbage bags, yellow rope, pantyhose, and other items in the garbage bags strewn around the body...

Does the culprit really not know that the river freezes in the the winter?  If he was trying to get rid of evidence, why not just dump body then burn all other items like the rope, pantyhose and the items in the garbage bag?  That sounds like an awful lot of stuff to throw into the river if his intention was really to get rid of evidence.  What's his true intentions? 

One guy alone managed to drag Melissa into the car and drive away without drugging or knocking her out first?  Was there any signs of drugs intake or concussion when they found her?  If she was conscious and the culprit was driving I can definitely see her freaking out and punch and kick the culprit while he's driving correct?  If there's no sign of any of the above then I would venture to believe that there's at least 2 culprit.

Something I want to point out is that the hangman's noose has a variation used commonly in fishing as well and Genesee is a good area for fishing.  The culprit could potentially be an avid fisherman. 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
Something I want to point out is that the hangman's noose has a variation used commonly in fishing as well and Genesee is a good area for fishing.  The culprit could potentially be an avid fisherman. 

It would take reading through the entire thread to understand what's been discussed. I recall there was a lot posted in regard to the rope.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
One perp could have subdued Melissa long enough to put the noose on and tie the rope end to her bent leg, at the ankle. (with hands bound as well). They did get dna but have no match, suggesting the rapist/killer was from another area. The sob got away with it!

Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
Where can one find the composite sketch that was published in the newspapers back then of a possible suspect.  This case disturbed me a great deal, as I was a single mother, working in the restaurant of a hotel on Stony Plain Road at that time, and my brother called me on the night of February 14, 1987 and asked me to have someone from the hotel to walk me to my car after my shift.  My child and I lived with that brother at Edmonton Beach, so it all hit close to home.  Also, at that time I knew someone who looked like the composite sketch, and I did call crime stoppers back then about it.  Guess it never went anywhere.

kdngirl

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 23, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »
I too am brand new to this.  I have never forgotten this murder although I couldn't remember a name, etc.  At the time of the murder I lived down the street from WE Mall.  My townhouse faced a little stripmall with an old empty Safeway in it.  Also, that mall had a bar located in it.  I could look out my front window and watch that bar.  Around that particular time, for a few days, I was getting very scared about being home alone to the point that my father and brother made sure that the doors etc were locked.  They thought I was kind of crazy but they wanted me to feel safe.  I was 27 at the time and walked everywhere as  I didn't own a car.   

I remember that night she was killed because I was going through some things and not feeling too sane.  I remember turning off all the lights and lying on the floor looking out the window at the parking lot and watching the comings and goings.  I remember this one particular vehicle parked in the lot with someone sitting in it.  It scared me and gave me the creeps.  I remember it was an old camaro although I believe it was a dark colour but it was at night and the parking lot was dark.  It has always bothered me that I never contacted police about it.  I guess I'm another one of those people that just never believed that what I could tell them would mean anything.  However, it has bothered me to this day.

My father worked nights at that time.  I remember he brought the paper in and showed me the story about the murder and that she disappeared so close to where we lived.  It kind of freaked him out that I had been talking about being scared when I never had before.  To this day we both believe that I was picking up on some weird vibe out there.  It sounds so crazy even today to talk about that weird scared feeling I felt for several days.  My hope is that now that I have put this out there I can release it.  It's one of those things that just stays with you.  I've carried that little bit of information with me all those years that I still feel means nothing but I never told anyone.  i can't say I knew anything more about the case until now after reading the threads.  It was the Thorncliffe mall - across from Thorncliffe school.  I never forgot and something every once and while comes up in my head about it and why didn't I tell the police about that. 

Alder

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 24, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
Welcome kdngirl !
Very interesting…  follow your intuition.  Something in you wants to tell this to the police, that’s what I see in what you wrote above.
The logical part of your mind tells you it’s meaningless…  but intuitively this event keeps surfacing in you…  so, once again trust your intuition and tell the police what you saw.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here