Poll

Should Canada reinstate Capital Punishment for certain crimes?

Yes
No
Undecided

Author Topic: The Death Penalty  (Read 6993 times)

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
The Death Penalty
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
I am forty five years old. I have children and grandchildren. I am blessed with a partner/friend/wife. I fear for them.

I am beginning to feel that capital punishment is the best solution to protect our children, and spouses. That is what this is all about. Too protect them. As a man, and as a good member of society, I think it's time to get our priorities in order. The chance these broken people (sex offenders) will torture, and kill, again is too great to risk. If there is DNA evidence of guilt, then that changes everything. Society can't afford to keep these people in prison. They will get out. Put an end to them quickly. Capital punishment is a clear solution to re-offending and a stark deterrent to those who could become the latest monster on the news.

A soldier is asked to kill for his country. We call them heroes. Why shouldn't we ask them to do away with these menaces who also threaten us. While we all ponder this topic, someone's child or spouse is lost in the most horrible nightmare again and again.

It's not a perfect solution, but it is the best thing for our families safety. 

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: The Death Penalty
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:58:57 AM »

Hi bill! It sure is good to see you here.

I never used to believe in Capital Punishment. Actually, it has been the last few years that I have changed my mind. I believe that pedophiles, serial killers will never stop until they die.They are too hard wired to this. It is in their brain, their life, their fantasies..constant fantasies.

These predators need not to live on planet earth.They are cunning, devious, have no sense of morals, or ethics. They have no guilt, nor any concience(sp), they are obsessed with their own depravity.They cause great devastation to the family and friends, of the victim.

I believe now, that these crimes are not going to go away. Like a giant spider web, of pure hate and evil., they are spreading.

Is locking up, an option? Sure, but they get out and repeat their offences with glee.At least that is with peds. I guess I am still a bit confused, as life till death sentences would also stop the crime, but they would have years to hook in other peds, or serial killers. Like Anne Rule said, These guys seem to just find each other. Scary...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »
I understand why some want the death sentece. I just think a prison sentence that is life wo any parole ever would be even better. Let them suffer for decades in prison, never let them out and restrict there privaledges. I hate it that some monsters can get out one day.

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »
There has been considerable debate among many countries to implement the death penalty.  Canada abolished the death penalty in 1976.  Should we introduce it again for severe crimes (serial killers, killing a police officer, killers of children, etc..)?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
No. I just wish there was a 'real like sentence' where the person is sentenced to life and they really do not ever get the chance to apply for parole or petition the court for release.

It makes me angry knowing that one day Bernardo and Pickton will get a chance for freedom when neither should.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »
I agree with you Chris.   People like Bernardo and Pickton should never,ever get out of jail.   
I also think that for serial pedophiles and serial rapists....they only hurt innocent children/women......they are predators.
Life for a Life....and don't bother wasting taxpayers money for parole or petitions for release..

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
I think many times innocent people have been institutionalize for years because of mistakes and deliberate cover ups.  If we had the death penalty, those people would be dead and just as unfailly murdered as the victims of crime.  Add to this the deliberate conspiracies by bad cops and other officials, and God only knows how many people would have been put to death to cover up for thugs with contacts or authority ..... to keep the real guilty party/ies free.  Therefore; I could never condone the "death penalty". 

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »
That too, is correct lostlinganer about mistakes and cover-ups...but these days we have DNA advances, which I presume does decrease mistakes.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
"My gut tells me I don't know. It's 50-50," Harper said.

"My gut advisers tells me I don't know. It's 50-50, 100%" Harper said.

That's more like it. No point in bringing up the death penalty debate anyway. What we need is parole reform, including giving judges an option to apply no parole ever no matter what life sentences, and to stop letting killers out after 15 years via the 'faint hope' clause, and no more parole hearings every 2 years for these people, it is hard on families to endure that crap all the time.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:59 AM »
I find it interesting how closely divided users are on this issue.

I'm against the death penalty generally, mostly because it just is not fair, removes any chance of letting the person out if they turn out to be innocent, it's costly, and is not a deterant.

But I am glad no one choose 'not sure' as I think by now, people should have an opinion one way or another.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
What do you think?
Perhaps some members may wish to give their point of view on the death penalty - Do you think its time has come?? This to some of us,  may be an important topic and many of us may have different points of views, after all we posters are all free thinkers and opinions are all  exceptionally valuable. This is a difficult topic-and  to each poster it could be a very deep and personal one.
Personally. I think that under certain cases, we need the death penalty. Bring it back for serial killers at the very least!

JB
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:51:22 PM by jellybean »

Jolie76

• Somebody Has To Pay For The Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »
In this day and age there are no longer consequences....
And jail IS a joke, too many people learn new tricks while in there and sometimes it is just easier being in there then living in the real world..... Holding down a job, paying bills, surpporting your family, paying taxes which support your sorry @ss, being an important member of society, why would they bother?? Its too easy to just take what you want be it a stereo or a life, so why the Eff not....

An Eye For An Eye!!!![/b]

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
Perpertrators should suffer the same pain that they have inflicted on their victims. Like the previous poster said "An eye for an eye". If you shoot someone, then you should get shot. Look at the crime rate in places like Cuba, almost none. The government follows through with their punishments, and you may even loose a finger or two. Looks good on them. Certainly need to see some changes in our government.
Absolutely believe in capital punishment. This is the day of DNA.

tiger2338

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »
There are somethings I would like to see returned to our justice system.
(a) Life at hard labour.  Let the convicts earn their keep.
(b) Life with no parole. Who wants a Clifford Olson, or a Willie Pickton loose in their neighbourhood?
(c) Life meaning life not 25 years.
(d) Capital punishment for murder, serial murder, treason, acts of terrorism, and rape & murder of a child.