Author Topic: Saskatchewan Dangerous Offender Captured in Ontario - Warren David Rattray  (Read 11201 times)

HaveThoughtsWillTravel

Heard on the noon news today that the suspect in a murder that took place in Sudbury over the weekend was done be a man from Saskatchewan who was classed as a Dangerous Offender.

He was drinking at a home on  a reservation North of Sudbury, on Friday and they found a man's body in a home on Sunday.

This was out of the Police Beat:

(WIKWEMIKONG, ON) ? On January 25, 2009 at approximately 2:01 p.m. Wikwemikong Tribal Police received a 9-1-1 call of a male found dead inside a residence on Wikwemikong Way on the Wikwemikong Reserve.

Officers from Wikwemikong Tribal Police, and Sudbury Area Ambulance medics responded to the residence. The Coroner attended the scene and confirmed the death. The name of the victim is not being released at this time pending notification of next of kin.

At the request of the Wikwemikong Tribal Police the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Northeast Region Crime Unit and the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) are assisting with the investigation.

At this time, police are controlling vehicle traffic on Wikwemikong Way while the scene is examined and evidence collected.

Local schools will be remaining open and Wikwemikong Way will be opened to full traffic as soon as possible.

Police are reminding residents that public safety is the primary concern as the investigation continues. The preliminary information is indicating that this is an isolated incident and police have no immediate concern for public safety. The public is cautioned however that the perpetrator(s) of this apparent homicide are still at large.

The OPP captured the suspect, but he gave a false name upon arrest. They then sent the man's finger prints to the RCMP and the man's name came back as an individual from Saskatchewan.

I just caught the enad of the broadcast on the radio. I will listen again and get a few more details like the name. I do know he was said to have knifed a woman in Regina after drinking all night and being refused sex. :o

I don't like the news when they start mixing up the stories. The CBC reports something once then you never hear about it again.

This is from a Sudbury paper.

Date Published | Jan. 27, 2009

Warren David Rattray.

Advertisement   
Posted by Sudbury Northern Life
The 44-year-old man charged with second degree murder in the death of a 37-year-old Sudbury resident is a convicted sex offender wanted by Saskatoon police since August for failing to report, according to media reports.

Kerri-Anne Parks was found stabbed to death in her McLeod Street home Saturday afternoon. Warren David Rattray of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan was arrested by Greater Sudbury Police yesterday.

Rattray has a history of committing violent sexual offences against women and children of both genders, according to an article in the Saskatoon Star Pheonix. Two of his victims were reportedly nuns.

The man was last seen just outside of Saskatoon, in Martensville, on Aug. 18, 2008. He had stopped reporting to police.

Rattray was released from the Regional Psychiatric Centre in Saskatoon in June 2007 after completing an eight-year, four month sentence for aggravated and sexual assault.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:09:53 PM by HaveThoughtsWillTravel »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Why do they let these people out?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Chris, you took the words right out of my mind:  "Why do they let these people out?"
Will we ever progress to the point of common sense = public safety?
A Dangerous Offender is a Dangerous Offender.
A Rabid Animal is A Rabid Animal.
I just don't get the difference. 
If an animal with Rabies decides to attack, it's done.... and this animal will eventually attack; it is inevitable!
If a  Dangerous Offender decides to attack, it's done....and this animal, too, will eventually attack. Wake Up Canada! Wake up the politicians!
Wake up the media! Wake up the Members of Parliament and force them to put a stop to judges and low life lawyers making deals to let these rabid animals loose on our people ...over and over and over - just so they (in the system) always have "lots of work" ..."lots of pay".

mauvelilac

My question is why do all the bad guys navigate to Ontario?

Just an observation: It's really unusual for murder to happen on Manitoulin Island. It's so off the beaten track that it's usually locals who kill each other. This man must have had relatives or friends in the area.

raisinpie

• View Profile
"He was drinking at a home on  a reservation North of Sudbury, on Friday and they found a man's body in a home on Sunday.", written by HaveThoughts on Jan 27/09.

Where was the above info obtained.  I have not seen any reports that there was a connection between Rattray and the above matter.

Please clarify.

mauvelilac

I can verify Raisin. I heard it on the news the night before Have posted it. I came to Eastern Ontario to escape Sudbury but I still get there news.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
It is my understanding (from the original post) that police did an investigation, collected evidence and arrested a suspect.  After processing finger prints of said suspect, it turned out to be Rattray.
This is usually the way these cases materialize.... I could be wrong here; but as usual, police don't release any more details than necessary...usually less than what's in this write up from Police Beat.

aunty jay

• View Profile
Re: Saskatchewan Dangerous Offender Captured in Ontario - Warren David Rattray
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »
Chris or anyone else.  Can you tell me if we know if this man was in the Regina or Estevan area in 2004?  I read that he was in the area of Regina and Saskatoon but could not find when or where exactly?

mauvelilac

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
Would the police not know that Aunty Jay? I'm sure they could tell you at least that much.

aunty jay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:37 PM »
Do you mean the Estevan Police service or the ontario police?

mauvelilac

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:17:37 PM »
Saskatchewan police but our guys might know. They tend to keep an eye on deviates.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
that is an interesting question. I hope you will ask the investigor about this guy. If he was anywhere near those places he should be questioned.

SAP

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »
http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1446134

Confidence man: David Rattray liked to befriend his victims
By JASON WARICK, SASKATCHEWAN NEWS NETWORK
Posted 1 year ago

Bev Rowlings walks toward a south Regina bus stop, the place where she first met Warren David Rattray nine years ago, and explains how she nearly died at his hands.

"He put me at ease right away and I wanted to help him," Rowlings said in a recent interview.

"He was so calm, but underneath he's just an animal."

On Dec. 30, 2000, Rowlings was waiting for a bus behind a south Regina shopping mall, heading home after her shift at a hotel on Albert Street where she worked as a maid.

Just after 10 p. m., Rowlings noticed a man in tattered clothing and wearing a cheap-looking white cowboy hat. He approached her and began to chat.

He said his name was Warren and he was looking for work in Regina. He said he'd been robbed of all his belongings at a shelter and had no place to stay.

Rowlings, whose marriage had just ended and whose children were living with their father, invited Rattray to stay with her for a few days.

"I was in such a bad place. I was so vulnerable," she said.

"And I'm from a small town. We didn't lock our doors. We trust people."

That night, she fed Rattray. He slept in her son's room. Rattray behaved normally, although he was adamant Rowlings not turn on the radio. Two nights later, Rattray asked her to go on a date to a local bar. Rowlings declined.

"I said, 'This isn't about sex. I'm just trying to help you out," she said.

Rattray went out drinking by himself, ignoring the pasta and chicken dinner she had prepared. Rowlings was getting uneasy and planned to kick him out the next day.

At about 1:30 a. m. that night, Rowlings awoke to discover a shirtless Rattray standing beside her bed, reeking of alcohol and cigarette smoke. He demanded sex and laid on top of her with the blanket separating them.

"I'm going to the other room," Rowlings said.

She pushed him to the side and stood up with the blanket covering her torso. It was then she noticed Rattray was holding one of her kitchen knives. He stood to face her, and drove the blade into her stomach.

Rowlings froze, staring down at the knife and the bloody blanket. "What have you done?" she yelled. "Look what you've done!"

Rattray ran out of the room and began to gather his belongings. Rowlings dialed 9-1-1, but Rattray hung up the receiver. He ran out of the house half-dressed, carrying the rest of his clothes.

Rowlings called 9-1-1 again.

When emergency medical officials arrived minutes later, she was bleeding profusely and vomiting in the toilet. As she was being taken to the ambulance, she saw the white cowboy hat in a closet.

Rowlings had emergency surgery. Part of her small intestine was removed. In hospital, police showed her six photos and she quickly identified Warren.

Rattray was captured and charged with attempted murder. For reasons unknown to Rowlings, prosecutors later reduced the charge to aggravated assault.
Rattray pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in a federal penitentiary. He also pleaded guilty at that time to sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in Moose Jaw a month before he met Rowlings. That's likely why he didn't want Rowlings to listen to the radio.

Aside from a large scar on her stomach, Rowlings has recovered physically. She said things would have been worse without the blanket and night shirt covering her during the attack.

Rowlings no longer talks to strangers and carries a whistle in her purse wherever she goes. Rowlings was willing to testify against Rattray and was never told why he was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge. She was also surprised to learn Rattray wrote a full-page letter about her.

"Dear Bev," begins the letter, which was included in the court file. "I just wanted to write a short letter to you to tell you how sorry I am for doing what I did. It hurts so bad inside. It is killing me, I have spent quite a few nights crying and hurting and thinking of the pain and suffering you must have gone through."

Rattray goes on to say he cares for her and wanted to start a relationship. He said he cried when a detective told him Rowlings needed major surgery.

At the end of the letter he writes: "Bye for now, Warren. XO."

Rowlings has since learned of Rattray's extensive criminal past, which includes more than 40 convictions. Before he met Rowlings, he'd been convicted of unlawful confinement, robbery, assault and the sexual assault of a number of children and women, including a pair of elderly nuns who tried to help him.
Yet for all the convictions, Rattray was released from prison last year. He now stands charged with first-degree murder in the recent death of a woman in Sudbury.

"They should have locked him up as a dangerous offender," Rowlings said. "Why wasn't he kept in jail longer? I want to know why."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think we'd all like to know why, since his rap sheet has been horrific. He already had a knife in his hands as he stood by her bed. It would seem he was going to use it either way, imo.

SAP

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:40 AM »
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1408331

Aunty Jay, your answer might be in these links. Dec 30, 2000, is when Rattray met Rowlings and tried to murder her. He was convicted but seems to have spent only 3 1/2 years in a Psyche facility after which he was to stay in Saskatoon but disappeared from there and wasn't found until he was caught for the murder in Sudbury. Wonder how many others he committed along the way?

aunty jay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
Thank you sap, i am wondering if someone else can read this article because from what i can get from it. He served the full 8 year sentence and was let out in 2007  which would have been passed the date I am looking for. I may be missing something.