Author Topic: Sergei COSTIN, MISSING JAN. 17, 2009  (Read 4951 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Sergei COSTIN, MISSING JAN. 17, 2009
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
Sergei Costin went missing on January 17, 2009, last Saturday. He had picked up a fare in Halifax area around 3:30 in the afternoon. His GPS system was dismantled at some point during the drive. He did not press his panic button. His burned out cab  was found in North Preston, Halifax area. North Preston is a predominently black community. There is a high crime rate there. Mr. Costin is from the Ukraine and was planning to go back home in the near future. He was working for the same cab company for 10 years. He has a wife and children and they had been over not that long ago to visit him. He is 40 years old. All his friends and coworkers are very concerned for Sergi at this time. The day after he went missing there was a murder in broad daylight inside of a car in North Preston and another passenger in the car was wounded. This does not sound good for Mr. Costin's safety. We pray for his return and send our hope and wishes to the family and all his friends in Halifax that he will be found, God Bless you. 

mauvelilac

Re: Sergei COSTIN, MISSING JAN. 17, 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
This is not a good thing, not at all. Cabbies are so vulnerable to this sort of thing. I hope there is news of this man soon but I suspect he's already gone. My prayers are with his family and loved ones.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
There has been no new news on Sergei Costin. This is a great mystery, because someone must know where Sergei is, if he is dead or alive. I feel that somehow they took his body in the woods in the dark of night and may have used a vehicle to transport him a mile or so in the woods and buried him in snow.  I hope I am wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any information at all. It is going into the third week, so maybe in another week or two we should get some information. I am not sure if they have put out a reward for information or not, I think this would crack the case for sure. They always want drug money, so someone might come forward through crime stoppers and they won't have to be identified. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
An update on the news tonite. A reward has been offered of $150,000.00 for information and conviction of the whereabouts of Sergei. This reward may bring forward information about the last two men who were picked up by Sergei in his taxi in Dartmouth. I don't know if the police are aware of who these men were that were the fare that Sergei picked up. Hopefully some news will be forthcoming with this reward, which is quite substantial. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
Here I go again - throwing in the latest from other sources.
I have a close friend who eats at a regular restaurant all the time - knows the people in that place really well.
One of the waitresses has a son who works for a cab company - I won't say which one.  The son told his mom he can't understand all this press looking for this man's body - that Halifax police do have Sergei COSTIN's body - that it was found "burned" in the truck of his car -my source also added that this murder was connected to the drug related "shootings" in Halifax. 
Apparently, more than a few people are aware of this in Halifax. ....ergo  ...seems to me like the police are protecting their investigation into drug sources .... like maybe across the pond.  ...explains the big reward for information!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »
I find that kind of bizarre, Lost. I don't believe that information. I do not believe they could put that information out there that he was still missing. I never heard anything like that. I know you did send me a message a while back on that and I thought any day that it would be released that his body was found. I believe that they would have given that information out immediately. I mean they wouldn't even have time to think up the story to say they never found his body. I don't know, I kind of dismiss that theory. I suppose it puts a new slant on solving a case. Hopefully it will be solved, if that is what the investigators are up to. It is a lot of money and as you say, those dealers are hungry for big money. But in the past there have been big rewards and nothing happens. We will wait and see and maybe things will happen for the best and this will be solved. :o :o :o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »
needless to say cape, the first thought comes to mind is "why"  Why hide discovery of the body of a missing person (where foul play is suspected) ...what purpose would that serve.  So I thought...maybe a clever "ruse" to cause the the "would-be killer/s" to think they never got the job done .... perhaps he survived and got himself out of there... or perhaps was rescued and then went into hiding!  that would sure send shockwaves and an immediate need to get "out there looking" for this all-too-important witness who could identify them and/or their activities. - Let the criminal element point the way themselves.
It just seems inconceivable this man could be gone without a trace.  This province has more than a fair share of murders and crime, but aside from the disappearance of young woman and young men (who could conceivably be dragged off and forced into prostitution etc.) most victims of murder are usually found in that neck of the woods I believe.
so we will see if this piece of gossip materializes into reality or fades away. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »
It definitely is a bizarre case and it happened in broad daylight, a strange happening. But if they killed him down in North Preston, people are scared down there and not about to give information, even if they knew it. Of course as you say, he could have survived and is in hiding, which would be a new slant on the investigation. They could have him in hiding. There was a lot of snow at the time of this crime and I thought maybe they had taken his body far in the woods on a skidoo or something and they would not find his body until spring. I still am unclear if the police know who the fares were that he picked up or they just know it was two people. A hard time for his family and friends to not know what happened to him. Hopefully the reward will bring some information. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »
6:08 EST ATV news showed a police announcement (live on scene) a male body has been discovered outside North Preston - just off the road --- same area where Sergie's burned vehicle had been discovered in January. 
Aparently, police have been cruising this area regularly???? what a co-incidence...the body gets dumped in such close proximity .... those guys driving back and forth watching the spot .... but didn't see "a dump" being made?
Indication is, that it's the missing cabbie....wonder if recent posts rattled something :-\

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »
Lost, I guess we knew in the long run that this would be the outcome, that Sergei would be found dead. It is some closure for the family, if it is his body. I felt that once the snow started to disappear they might find him and maybe it is him. I did not see that newscast, but will watch the news later on this evening. Thanks for the information. We will wait and see if it is for sure his body. There has been so much crime and so many people missing, we will have to wait and see if it is him. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 06:53:46 PM »
Well Lost, it looks like our sources were right all along.
Unfortunately it took this long to put the body back. His poor wife was here and it would have been a lot better if she could have taken him back home. At least she would have had closure long before now.
RIP Sergei

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
It is good now that the family will have closure and be able to take Sergei to his homeland for burial. Once the snow started to melt away it disclosed his remains. They have not officially identified him at this point, but I guess that will come on the evening news. Prayers and condolences to Sergei's family. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »
It has been confirmed; It is Sergei Costin.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1161135.html

A 20-year-old man showed no emotion as he was arraigned in court this morning on a charge of first-degree murder in the mysterious disappearance and killing of Dartmouth cab driver Sergei Kostin last January.

Here's an interesting article on this http://www.reality-check.ca/threads/237105-Man-charged-with-murder-of-Dartmouth-cabbie?p=2219591&viewfull=1
I get the impression police zeroed in on this punk during the investigation of his other crime/s. 
They are not giving out much...guess we have to wait for the trial to find out if it was DNA (like maybe on the same knife) or was it other video or eye witness evidence that put Sergei Kostin and his cab in the picture.
Whatever the case, we have to applaud the police for this one!  Hope this punk gets what's coming to him (if it was, indeed him, who killed this innocent hardworking man).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:23:54 PM by lostlinganer »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I honestly felt that they would have an arrest in this case. I congratulate the police in the Hailfax area for making an arrest in Sergei's death. I feel that the cab drivers will breath a little easier now that an arrest has been made and they will feel somewhat safer.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)