Author Topic: Robert James Brown - August 3, 1968 - Age 12 - Missing - Pefferlaw  (Read 51197 times)

Sleuth

Re: Robert James Brown - August 3, 1968 - Age 12 - Missing - Pefferlaw
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
So you are saying the facts up to a point are correct? That he was heading home from camp? Was the camp in Wilfred near the house you lived in? And the time last seen was 4:30 PM is correct?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
This must be a painful memory for you, so if you can answer, who were the eye wtinesses?  Where did they live?  Statistically the perpetrator is known to the child.

Coping

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
The camp is in Pefferlaw.  To get to our house, he would have gone east through town and followed the Pefferlaw Rd to Wilfred.  Instead it appears that he went west to HWY 48 and took the Holmes Point Rd., to the beach.  When they found the reports, I was invited to go up to Orillia (OPP) and sit with the lead investigator to walk through everything.  It was then that I realised maybe he did go toward the beach afterall, but it still does not make sense.  One of the witnesses says that they saw him talking to this unknown boy at the corner of Pefferlaw Rd., and Hwy 48.  Others, including the parking lot attendant at the beach claims to have seen him at the beach, I believe around 4:30ish.  I don't have names of the witnesses, although I believe they were all from either the camp or the community.  I recognised some of them when I went through the police reports in Orillia, however I was so overwhelmed at the whole process. 

Sleuth

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »
Thanks for the information about someone seeing your brother talking to another boy. That makes sense. Some one seeing him at the beach does not make sense.

Sleuth

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 12:00:59 AM »
coping, could you tell us what your brother was like as a person please?

Coping

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 07:33:19 AM »
Robbie was a typical active 12 year old.  He got into his share of mischief but no more than most, and was well liked by everyone.  He loved playing hockey, riding his bike, going on hikes.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
I was going to ask if Robert was walking, or riding his bike....

Sleuth

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
Thank you coping. Who was Robert's best friend? Who did he hang out with? One best friend or a group of friends? How did he get from the camp to home, generally? Did he go to camp by himself or with a friend, generally? Who was he with on the day he went missing?

Coping

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
He was walking the day he disappeared.  As far as best friends, he had many.  There were kids in our town, kids from our church (in Pefferlaw, kids he played hockey with (in Cannington) and kids from school.  We attended school at H.W. Knight in Cannington.  I understand it is no longer there.   

Sleuth

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 03:04:49 AM »
Thanks Coping. Can you tell us about the Camp. Was this a day Camp for children? Or adults and children. For those within the area or for anyone in Ontario who could attend? Was this a summer camp? Or year round camp? How many people attended this camp? What were the hours that people could attend this camp? Were there many tourists in the area at that time? Was there a camp ground near by where tents and trailers could park for a week or so of family holidays? I'm not familiar with the area so I'm getting a handle on what the area was like at that time.

Coping

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
It was a church camp.  During the summer there would be families from all over that were associated with that denomination (Church of the Nazarene).  The particular week that we were there was family camp. There was however, a Lion's Club Carnival in Pefferlaw that week-end and Robbie and a friend went on the Friday night prior to his disappearance on Saturday.  I do not remember who the friend was in particular.  Because of the carnival being in town, there has been some discussion by the police that perhaps someone associated with it might have been involved.  I am sure there was that possibility, but there is no way to go back and determine that, that I know of.  I am also pretty sure the police looked into that, but you never really know.  This is where the sceptical side of me comes out.  There have been too many assumptions made, each time giving the police the benefit of the doubt.   

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »
seems to be that, once again, the ball was dropped....  another case where they need to go back to square one.  Even if the trail is cold.  The answer is there somewhere.

Sleuth

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
Ah, interesting, thanks coping. What body of water was South West of Pefferlaw?

Coping

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »
I'll try and answer these questions in order;
1. I believe the witnesses all saw him as they were driving by.  My younger brother was also riding in a car (had spent the day with another family) and saw Robbie walking along the road.  I believe he had just made the turn toward Hwy 48 from the camp road.
2. I believe they dragged the water, (Lake and river) in the area.  They ruled drowning out rather quickly because no clothes were found on shore.  If he went swimming by himself, he would have left his clothes on the beach because he had his bathing suit on from earlier in the day.  They also conducted air searches and searched the roads and fields in the area.  I don't believe much was done that evening though.  By the time dad and I covered all of the possible locations we could think of and realised something was wrong, it was about 9:30 at night and getting pretty dark.  We notified police and they came right away to our home.  The next morning everything began to intensify in terms of the search efforts.
3. Yes, I believe the camp is on the north side of the road.  The Nazarene church is across the raod from the camp.  That was the church we attended.
4. There was never another time when he left the camp on his own.  This was the first and only time he did this.
5. No idea.  I would assume he would walk facing traffic as that is what we were taught.
6. Probably close to the same time everyday.