Author Topic: Robert James Brown - August 3, 1968 - Age 12 - Missing - Pefferlaw  (Read 50175 times)

Desespere

This information comes from the OPP's new missing person's website,
http://www.missing-u.ca/qryUI_Intro/MPUB.aspx

Originally, I hadn't put Robert's name here because of where he was last seen, near the beach. I must have assumed he drown. But in re-reading this today on the OPP's site I realized that after numerous land and water searches failed to find any trace of Robert, he may have been abducted.

Pefferlaw is between Barrie and Peterborough, on the Eastern shores of the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation. It is situated three hours North of London, ON.

Six months before Robert went missing, February, 1968 and within 6 days of each other, two boys went missing in and around London, ON. Frankie Jensen, 8 http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,717.0.html and Scott Leishman, 16 http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,919.0.html .

Both of the above boy's were recovered, victims of homicide still unsolved.
Frankie was last seen on the way to school in London. He was recovered in the Thames River near Thorndale. Thorndale is 22km NE of London. There was evidence of violence.

Scott was last seen in Thorndale, six days later, one day after Valentines Day and a full moon and was recovered in the Port Burwell Harbour 78km south of London exactly three months later. There was no evidence of violence on his body but ruled a homicide.

Interesting is Port Burwell is 70km directly south of Thorndale. Pefferlaw is 275km E of London.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Robert James Brown, Age 12 - is the third boy I have found in Canada to go missing in Ontario in 1968. There are no boys missing or murdered in Canada prior to that whose disappearance is not attributed to drowning but unrecovered.

On August 3, 1968, at approximately 4:30 p.m., Robert James Brown (age 12 at time of incident) was last seen walking to his residence in the Village of Wilfred, Ontario, from the Nazarene Camp. The Nazarene Camp was a Christian camp where Robert's mother worked as a volunteer.  He failed to arrive home and was reported missing to the Georgina Township Police Service. The investigation revealed that a person matching Robert James Brown's description was observed in the vicinity of Georgina Beach at the approximate time that Robert was last seen. Numerous land and water searches failed to locate Robert James Brown.

MPUB Case No.  20060284 
Name Robert James Brown
Last Seen 8/3/1968
Date Of Birth 5/28/1956
Age At Last Seen 12
Gender Male
Race Caucasian
Height (Metric) 137 cm. to  139 cm.
Height (Imperial) From 4 ft 5 to  4 ft 6
Weight (Metric) From 38 kg. to  39 kg.
Weight (Imperial) From 83 lbs. to  85 lbs.
Build Medium
Hair Colour Colour: Blond; Length:  Shorter Than Collar
Hair Description Straight
Facial Hair Beard: No; Moustache: No;  Sideburns: No 
Facial Hair Description   
Eye Colour Hazel
Freckled
last seen wearing a red and black plaid shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and black work boots.

D1

Re: Robert James Brown - August 3, 1968 - Age 12 - Missing - Pefferlaw
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
Quite the pattern in these cases. Given the time when they occurred, very little was known about geographic profiling or any of the other newer tools utilized by criminologists today. This is a near perfect set of circumstances to run through the new procedures..
excellent Desespere, called cold case??

D1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
That 66 to 69 time period is quite telling. It is almost as if someone or some (thing) moved its operations about the country.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
This boy and Cameron March went missing near water. Were some of the others?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
so many deaths from the 60's on, pose different curious questions to me.
- why are they all so young? (is it the attraction?-not if there is no sign of sexual attack. is it the fact they are young and niave..easy to capture or trick?
- how far back can we expect, that the sale of body parts became a very possible reality? (we never know exactly what was missing from these people or even the exact causes of death in many cases) salvaging body parts can be as simple as extracting spinal fluids, blood cells etc.....things that may get blamed on the water and whatever creatures inhabit it.
- wasn't it in the 60's that cult activities started to rise.... including crude ritualistic practices on young victims and specifically targeted genders at certain times on occult calendars?  ...very often involving water!
- is there one or more breed of killer out there who is "set off" by water bodies, or maybe spent their younger years as a victim of sorts ...living on and near the water? Is this a person or persons who "does their thing ...letting down their hair down, and living out their killing fantacies in a boat or cottage ...thus inclined to use water as dumping facility for everything they discard of.
.....just thinking out loud folks.  I wish we had access to information on all such deaths.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »
This case has been on my mind for the last month or so due to the proximity of the town of Wilfred - where Robert went missing from - to Sunderland, Ontario where the bodies of Christine Jessop and Debbie Silverman were located.

Note that all 3 victims (assuming Robert Brown was in fact a victim of foul play) are not from the area.

I just looked at the 3 locations on a map.  It's a perfect - flipping - square.  Please look this up on a map or maybe someone is adept enough to post all 3 locations here and under a new thread about certain cases that have too much in common.

Locations - Durham Region.  The corner of Regional Road 23 and Regional Road 12 (also known as Concession 12), south to Regional Road 13 (also known as Concession 3), east to Regional Road 2 and north back to Regional Road 12/Concession 12.  A perfect flipping square.

Robert Brown went missing from just inside RR 23 and RR 12 - the top left corner of the square.  Debbie Silverman was found at RR 13 and Highway 7 & 12 which runs down the centre of the perfect square.  Christine was found near the bottom right hand corner of the square.

The Town of Cannington is at the top right hand corner of the square.  I can't help but wonder what lies within that corner.

The more I look at this, the more I find I can fit one family into the pattern.  A family from Queensville that has roots on both sides of the family to this very square.  The same family had other family members living immediately south of where Debbie Silverman went missing - and she ends up in a shallow grave in the square.  This family knew the Jessops and Christine's body ends up in the square.  The same family had a family member that worked immediately west of where Lizzie Tomlinson went missing (and lived not far away but I don't know exactly where) - Lizzie was found a short distance away.  And the same family surname appears on a property in the immediate vicinity of Leah Sousa's house - but I do not know if they are blood relatives or not.

An innocent member of this family (a child victim of abuse) married a cop after 1975.  Any killer(s) in this family would then be smart enough to make the methodology different enough so as not to bring attention to themselves.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
D1 - the map comes up waiting for coordinates - can you put a more specific area in?  Thanks.

D1

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
Replaced the map above, link should work. Just zoom and follow.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:25:02 PM by D1 »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »
I went to Wilfrid and Pefferlaw today - it's a pretty good hike between the two towns, but not impossible to walk.

I could see though, how on a warm August day, a 12 year-old would be inclined to accept an offer of a ride from a friendly driver.  It was 1968 in a very, very small town - danger would not be the first thing that would come to mind if someone stopped to offer a lift.

I would really like to know who told the police a person matching Robert's description was seen at a beach some distance away.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
You guys are amazing...I'm still trying to figure out ways I can help. For now, I get back at chipping away at Desespere's list.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:11:34 AM »
Woodland

The Town of Cannington is at the top right hand corner of the square.  I can't help but wonder what lies within that corner.

Wouldn't you love to have access or own a cadaver dog?  I have been watching and reading on linking these cases.  I think you may be on to something.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 06:54:25 AM »
Whoa.  That is pretty close.

I am trying to fit this into some sort of pattern (assuming that Brown was also murdered):

Brown M (12) August 3, 1968

Silverman F (21) August 12, 1978

Jessop F (9) October 3, 1984

- Silverman would have been 11 in 1968, roughly the same age as Brown and within two years of Jessop;
 - Brown and Silverman almost exactly 10 years apart, but Jessop does not corroborate this pattern;
 - other patterns?

Distances from home to location of remains?
Some form of common place/town, etc where they all may have been from?
Same as above, but parents or siblings?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »
I believe the pattern is in the history of the family ties to this area.  I am in the process of writing a thesis that will include what the historical ties are - it's a slow process but my writer and I are getting there.

The most prominent historical family name in Brock Township (the square) is St John - at one time they owned a great deal of this territory and descendants are still there.  It's an honor to pass on the surname or use as a middle name.  It's a fascinating legacy to be included in - I'm working on how it would be a real bummer to be denied this legacy if you in fact had the bloodline but were denied the surname.

me

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
I may have missed something here, but I can't seem to figure out where the town of Cannington comes into play?  Is it just that it falls within the square, or is there a piece of evidence that ties any of these murders/suspected murders directly to Cannington?

I just plugged all the spots mentioned into my mapping program.  From the co-ordinates you provided, it is 8.8 km between the spot that Robert Brown was last seen and where Debbie Silverman was found.  It is approx 24 km, by road, from the spot were Silverman was found and where Jessop was found.  I never realized that Jessop was found in that area, for some reason, I thought she was found closer to London.

Another possible link may be that this is an area that draws a lot of cottagers and water sports enthusiasts.  It lies right between Lake Simcoe and the smaller, but still very popular, Lake Scugog.

Also, for some reason Uxbridge is flashing a light in  my brain.  I'm thinking that somewhere on the site I've seen mention of something else in or around Uxbridge.  If I can find it, I'll post the link.