Author Topic: Gary Meier's murder near lacombe  (Read 14225 times)

denny

• View Profile
Gary Meier's murder near lacombe
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
I am looking for any and all info in regards to the unsolved case in regards to the Murder of Gary Meier's Near Lacombe alberta. More specifically does anyone know the caliber of gun used in this murder. I am gonna give this a good effort to see if I can't possibly find some info that may have been missed and get it to someone that counts. I know its a long shot but the biggest piece of info I could use is a caliber. This murder took place on aug.11,2001 and was blamed on bikers but I somehow think they were merely a scapegoat used when no further leads exist..(or found)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Gary Meier's murder near lacombe
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »
I hope somebody has enough decency, if they have any info., to cough it up for the sake of truth.  Too many loose ends in too high a percentage of investigations imo.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »

Hi Denny, I can't find the murder of Gary Meire's on this site, so checked the web.You may want to also check the web , in case, there is an article giving that particular information.

Here is one link found, and there may be more. Do you think you know who did this?

By AJAY BHARDWAJ, Sun Media

More than five years after a wealthy central Alberta man was murdered, Mounties are still trying to catch his killers.

?The investigation into (Gary) Meier?s murder is difficult because of Meier?s activities and the number of people who didn?t have a positive relationship with him,? said Red Deer RCMP spokesman Sgt. Neil Lemay.

Lemay wouldn?t go into detail about what activities Meier may have been involved in.

But a private investigator who looked into the case claims Meier?s death is linked to bikers.

?I would question how he knows that and why he is reluctant to share that with police,? said Lemay.

Meier, who bought and sold trailers, was shot dead. His body was found in his acreage home near Lacombe, 128 km south of Edmonton, on Aug. 10, 2001.

Meier?s brother, Ben, said he?s starting to lose hope cops will ever catch up to his killer.

?All we can do is sit back and wait,? he said from his home in Provost, 292 km southeast of Edmonton. ?There?s always hope but after five years coming on six, it?s getting slim.?

In efforts to solve the case, Mounties produced a Crime Stoppers video, re-enacting the murder from what RCMP believe was the perspective of Meier?s attacker.

Investigators believe all doors and windows of Meier?s home were locked at the time of the killing.

When police arrived on scene, the garage door and electronically operated gate to the property were open.

In the re-enactment, Meier was shown sitting at the kitchen table with his back to his attacker, who approaches from behind and shoots him once in the back of the head.

-abhardwaj@edmsun.com

denny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:47 AM »
I've read that part of it I think its time to hit the lacombe library archives and try and find out more. I really am looking for what the weapon used was it a handgun or rifle and if so what was the caliber.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
Denny, I too am wondering why you are interested in the caliber of the gun and so on. If you think you may know something about this crime or know of anything that could help police, call crime stoppers and report it. No person has to give their name or anything. Maybe you know this person personally, but why are you wondering about the weapon????

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 11:53:06 PM »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
This is an older article, but is the last information I was able to find in regard this murder. I wonder if anything ever came of this new lead.

News Local

New lead in cold case

Monday, August 9, 2010 4:45:00 MDT PM

Lisa Joy

Globe Editor

Gary Frank Meier's murder still remains unsolved with police having no new leads on who shot and killed the self-made multi-millionaire on his acreage west of Lacombe.

But Calgary private investigator Bruce Dunn-who was hired by Meier's widow and has pursued the case since day one-hasn't given up on the case and is on the hunt for new clues.

"We are doing some 'follow-up' enquiries on some information just received a couple of months ago," Dunne told the Globe.

"We are now preparing to search an area where we think that the actual murder weapon may be hidden and we are going to try to do that before the end of August," he said. "It is near Lacombe."

Although police have long ruled out a biker connection to the slaying, Dunne still maintains that bikers played a role.

"I know bikers were involved," Dunne said previously. "They were looking for Gary a week before he was killed but he was in Saskatchewan."

Dunne says just days after Meier was murdered, he became involved in a physical altercation with alleged bikers near Red Deer after questioning them about Meier's death.

Then the next day, he says a shot was fired at his Calgary home. The incident was reported in a story by Calgary-based Alberta Report magazine when they wrote about Meier's murder late in 2001.

"There was a 22-calibre bullet hole through my patio window," said Dunne.

Meier, a Lacombe businessman, was found shot to death on his acreage on Aug. 10, 2001. Autopsy results show he died of a single gunshot wound. Calgary major crimes assisted Red Deer Rural RCMP in the initial investigation.

After police released the crime scene, Dunne did his own investigation, scouring the scene for evidence.

Dunne says there was evidence several people may have been in Meier's home at the time of his death, including two shooters.

He said one person fired four to five warning shots from a 22-calibre weapon at Meier.

"It was probably to get his attention."

Then, Dunne says Meier was shot execution style by someone else using a different type of weapon.

Dunne says Meier was then placed, seated, in the kitchen chair. He added that there was no blood splatter or staining on the chair, proving he was not seated on it at the time of his death.

Police say there were no signs of forced entry into Meier's home and robbery was not a motive for the murder. Calgary court documents show RCMP found $100,000 in cash in Meier's home at the time of his murder. Meier is also believed to have had a $250,000 bank draft on him when he was shot, according to a sworn affidavit filed in Court of Queen's Bench in Red Deer Aug. 14, 2001, by Lori Anne Meier.

But Dunne says if robbery was not a motive then where's the $250,000 bank draft and an additional $70,000 in cash he believes Meier had on him. When Dunne searched Meier's home, he says he found another $18,000 in cash stashed in satchels, clothing pockets and dresser drawers.

"It was everywhere," said Dunne.

After police released the crime scene, there was a break-in at Meier's home and some items were stolen. Cpl. Rob Norum of Red Deer Rural RCMP previously told the Globe that the timing of the break-in after the murder raised suspicions about whether the person came back but said police could not tie the break-in to Meier's murder.

RCMP have more than 400 tip files on the case and police say they followed all of them. The police investigation into Meier's murder was difficult because of Meier's activities and the number of people who didn't have a positive relationship with him.

Court documents in Calgary reveal Meier's estate was estimated at more than $5 million. Meier had an elementary education. The bulk of his estate was awarded in 2006 to his estranged wife Lori Anne Meier.

Police believe Meier knew his killer.

http://www.lacombeglobe.com/2010/08/09/new-lead-in-cold-case

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
Quote from Globe and mail

" trail is cold and

who were the witnesses? This killer could be a business partner, or a family member or murder for hire.

Why would a motorcycle gang be involved? ..... Unless Gary was involved in illegal activity, or hired to murder him?

What happened to the bank draft - and who was the bank draft for?

Perhaps he hoarded money in his house so that his ex would not get it - and perhaps the bank draft for 1/4 million dollars was written out to him - so that his ex or a business partner could not touch it. I hope the cops followed that missing bank draft.  He may have been murdered because of it. 

IMO, people know who killed Gary, but I doubt if they will ever come forward.  They will probably keep their silence.

The hat discovered in Gary's kitchen, which Dunn claims to have found and believed that it did not belong to Gary, has it been checked for dna?

JB

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:58:59 PM by jellybean »