Author Topic: Kirsten Brydum, murdered-September 2008  (Read 1894 times)

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
Kirsten Brydum, murdered-September 2008
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
Visitor's murder in Ninth Ward a mystery
10:34 AM CDT on Friday, October 3, 2008
Susan Edwards / Eyewitness News
http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl0100208mlBrydum.d465628c.html

A well-known activist from San Francisco is murdered in New Orleans--her family is asking why, while police search for a motive.

A group of people gutting houses found 25-year-old Kirsten Brydum's body in the 3000 block of Laussat Place. She had been shot in the head.

Her family described Brydum as a free spirit, an activist who traveled the country, simply searching for people to help.

Her journey ended abruptly, and brutally, Saturday morning in New Orleans, when her body was found a half-mile away from where she was staying in the Bywater.

"She was just traveling with what she had," said her uncle Rick Brydum, acting as the family spokesman. "(We) try to figure out why somebody would possibly want her dead or what could have caused anything like that to happen, whether it was robbery, an argument. None of that seems to make any sense at all," he said.

Brydum's stop in New Orleans was her latest in a series of cities; a trek across the country, she called an "educational tour" in her online journal.

Her last journal entry was written Thursday, September 25, as she was arriving in New Orleans by train.

She wrote, in part, that she was "grateful to the strangers I have met along the way who have been willing to go out of their way to welcome me to their cities."

Brydum's uncle said she had only acquaintances in New Orleans and relied on those connections for a place to stay.

"That is how a lot of this tour was, traveling from one place to another and seeing how she could help, but not necessarily knowing where she would go next, or what she would find there," he said.

Investigators said Brydum came to the Howlin? Wolf Friday night, a nightclub in the Warehouse District. She arrived alone around 11:30 p.m., then left two hours later the same way she arrived, riding a black bicycle.

The bicycle is now missing, but investigators say the few other belongings she had were at the home where she stayed. What remains is a seven hour gap from the time Brydum was last seen, to the time her body was found. That span of time has investigators, and the family, hundreds of miles away, asking why.

"We don't know the circumstances behind how she left the club and ended up on Laussat Place," said Marlon Defillo, deputy superintendent for the New Orleans Police Department. "Did she leave with someone? Did someone befriend her? We don't know all of the variables," he said.

"Why did these things happen," said Rick Brydum. "It makes it harder, not only having lost her as a dear member of our family but not knowing why or what happened."

Police believe Brydum was murdered in the same desolate area where her body was found. They are searching for the black cruiser-style bicycle she was riding. It has a basket on the back.

Crimestoppers is offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest. Call (504) 822-1111 with information.

I wonder if this is connected to Dinerral Shavers and Helen Hill's murder...

Crafty Gal (edited to add source link)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Kirsten Brydum, murdered-September 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
I feel badly for Kirsten's family and friends that she was murdered. Women who take on the worldly problems of  freedom and helping others in this day and age, is very dangerous. When you travel from place to place and you are alone, it would be a scary situation. Young people think they are invincable, that because others are young and your age that you can trust them, not so. There have been several women who have disappeared, because they feel a need to do their thing. There is a Canadian woman missing around Egypt or somewhere around there, not sure, but she was by herself and her family put out please since last year looking for her. Her boyfriend went over there with family members, no trace of her. She just didn't come back to her motel room to get her things. Now just this week another woman is missing in China, she also is from Canada and the same scenario, boyfriend and family members have been looking for her since she went missing in November. This just came on the news here this week. So if you feel adventure coming on, be sure to join a known group. There are jobs for civilians making good money in Afghanistan. I have two friends who are hired and trained in Ottawa for a week and they go over for 3 months and they come back for a couple and they go back again. They are 50 years old, but they need civilians over there. So there is adventure with pay and you are doing something for your country. I am not so adventurous as to go on my own doing this kind of duty. Stay safe in whatever you do. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o