Author Topic: Kenley Matheson went missing Sept.21, 1992 from Acadia University  (Read 48693 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Kenley Matheson went missing Sept.21, 1992 from Acadia University
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
Valleyman, I just find that so amazing, it is almost like something psychic going on here. I can understand why you were upset that you did not know they were there. That would have been a great thing if you could have seen them. I hope that you do get a chance to get in touch with them and speak with them or get an e.mail address. Keep us posted. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Troodon4

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
I have struggling to know if I should post on this site as I do not know whether or not my experience is relevent. I don't know if this was Sept. 21, 1992 because this happened so long ago but it was certainly 1992. I was working at a business in the Burnside Industrial Park working late to catch up on a backlog. It was a rainy, foggy night and I was heading to my car when a young guy came up to me and asked for a lift. He said he went to university nearby. Since it was raining, I decided to give him the lift.
When we got in the car I asked which university and he seemed a little confused. Dal or St Marys? He said no. He said to head towards Bedford or Sackville which I did. I asked if Mount St. Vincent was the place and he said it was. That was a bit annoying because I was halfway to Bedford and going over the Mackay Bridge would have been faster.
When I turned up the Bedford Highway,he said I was going the wrong way and it was past Sackville. I said "Acadia" and he said yes. I told him that I wasn't driving to Wolfville because it was around nine o'clock and I had to get home.
You have to understand that his guy seemed very confused and/or evasive and I was getting wary. I wasn't going to Wolfville and I wanted him out of the car so I told him that I would take him to the Mount.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »
Troodon4, that is amazing and it could have been him. I mean it was in the same year. But would this have not jogged your memory when it came on the news that he was missing and where he was from??? Also, it sounds like you were putting yourself in danger picking this person up. If his picture had have been on TV at the time, you would have noted if it was the same person. It certainly could have been him. And it may have been not the same day, but days later. It is quite a mystery for sure.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Troodon4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »
I ran out of room on my previous post so I will make my story in two posts. I decided to drop him off at the Mount and be done with it. During the drive there, he exhibited extreme paranoia saying people would out to kill him, people more powerful than I could imagine. He said my life could be in danger just having him in the car with me. I said I would take him to the police but he said that wouldn't help and to just drop him off. I dropped him off outside the Seton Academic Centre at MSVU.
I had completely forgotten about that incident for years. I had even read about Kenley and it didn't click. I saw a picture of him later and it seemed to come back. Now, I finished work and it was dark at 8:30-9:00 that would suggest fall. It wasn't cold just rainy.
This may not be and probably wasn't Kenley. I would interested in whether or not K### was paranoid schizophrenic because this man seemed muddled in thought and was very paranoid. He could have been high, I don't know. If it was Kenley , what would he have been doing in Burnside at that time of night at the old Daily News location?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:09:20 AM by Chris »

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »
thats amazing have you ever spoken to anyone police, crimestoppers about this?

Troodon4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 10:41:35 PM »
No, I haven't spoken to the police because I didn't think my experience was specific enough. I dropped a gent who may or may not have been Kenley at the Mount sometime late in 1992. This  guy's behavior was very strange, did Kenley ever exhibit this behavior? Why was he in Burnside looking for a drive? Can anybody who knows him shed any light on this? This of course assuming he was Kenley.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:08:55 AM by Chris »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
My geography on this area is not great.  However; around that time (can't remember exactly), my ex and I would make a few trips along the South Shore in Spring, Summer and Fall.  We were always shopping for plants that weren't sold here.  In one trip, we decided to gather a few "Scotch Broom".  ....for their everygreen quality and their wispy look.  Mind you, Scotch Broom are considered a menace elsewhere, but don't seem to "go wild" her on the Atlantic's doorstep of Cape Breton; it's so cold and salty air! 

We were  somewhere close to a Provincial or Municipal land office type place.  Anyway, we pulled in to this muddy, swampy bit of sideroad.  It seemed like a place where we could "steal" a few brooms unnoticed.  Well we weren't out of the van right with our shovels in the soil (brooms grow almost on top the ground; you can all but pull them out by hand in muddy conditions) when this scruffy old van type vehicle pulled in.  Three guys just as scruffy as the vehicle... jumped out and stood about 30 feet away starring us down.  They appeared real agitated at our presence and  mumbled back and forth to each other etc.  .... as if they were deliberately trying to imitated us so we would get "out of there"!   This went on for about 20 minutes.   We were so nervous, we took our few small "brooms" and figured these three were dangerous, and definitely were stalking our presence.  They were really very agitated - although they said nothing to us. 

So we jumped in the van and hightailed it past them; and went directly to this what one might call "Ranger Station"  or municipal/provincial office (which was not far away from there).    We asked permission to take a few Scotch Broom for experimental purpose in our back yard and greenhouse.  They knew we intended to "dig them up" if they showed any sign of becoming invasive in our area.... we assured them of that.  Well the guys at that station agreed, and gave us the go ahead.  I don't mind telling you, we were really afraid of those guys that watched us,  (they looked like something you would encounter in deep woods living off the wildlife) and we couldn't get back to civilization quick enough.  My ex and I felt sure we had stumbled across a crime scene of some type, and these guys stalked us to make sure we didn't uncover or come across "something".  We were so afraid, we didn't even share this with the guys at the land office, because we didn't know any of these people and how serious the situation was.... we just "got out of there and never went back". 

Every time I read of a cold case around this area, I get cold chills and a feeling of  "how close were we to "what"?  and who were these red necks?

I think I will take the time to google and see if I can find this spot.  Needless to say, Google doesn't work well in rural areas... but I will try and find the spot.

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »

Lost..... my best guess would be that they had marijuana growing somewhere nearby and probably thought you were there to steal their crop.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
that's a fair assumption mom, but I do remember it was still quite cold out, don't think people would have had pot planted that early.  The greenhouses we use to frequent hadn't opened yet.  I really have to try to remember what month it was.  ...had to be spring because we wouldn't be "digging transplants" out of season???

I don't know what temperature pot growers need for transplants, but consider this place was just a bit of muddy behind-the-trees location leading nowhere else.... and it was really close to the authorities.

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

Yikes.  Call your ex..... she'll know.   ;)

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »
you wouldnt have happened upon a still? people are quite protective of those.. ::)

Troodon4

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
Thanks Whisper, maybe you're right. I dropped him at the Mount, not because he wanted to go there so much as I had broached the topic of going to the police because he said powerful people were out to kill him. He didn't want any part of the police and , honestly, I was getting uncomfortable having this young man in the car. He said my life could be in danger as well having him in the car. I didn't believe him about all this, I thought he was delusional. If this was Kenley, something major happened to him psychologically.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2010, 08:53:09 PM »
Found this on websleuth archives:
rhyno1974
02-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Tom,

It was actually the case of Kenley Matheson that got me into doing this thing that we do. We grew up in the same small town and went to the same high school. I wouldnt say I knew him well, but we had many common friends and acquaintances. I spent lots of time at Acadia University as well where he disappeared from. Wondering what happened to him has always drove me crazy.

Looking at the reconstruction of the John Doe compared to Kenley Matheson I do not see a striking resemblence but I realize this is only a reconstruction after the accident and wouldn't expect it to be spot on.

I would hope that they would have been compared at some point due to the similarities and time frame, but how would would we know or find out? There really is not much information out there on Kenley. Even the family page is not up and running any more.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/index.php?showtopic=959

This is from Porchlight.  It includes a picture of him as well.  Hope this helps.

coolbreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
Thought I would add my two cents here. One thing that hasn't received much attention is the fact that Kenley had been planting trees all summer, apparently to pay for University. From what i know about tree planting, it's grueling, back breaking work that puts these young people in contact with not only other students, but itinerant workers and occasionally some pretty unsavory types. When it's over, however, the planter has a pretty good bundle of cash, especially since there's not much to spend their money on in these isolated camps. There have been some fairly high-profile cases of other missing tree planters in the past few years, including a young man in Ontario and a woman in B.C. For anyone still looking for Kenley, this seems worth considering. Just saying.

-- coolbreeze  8)