Author Topic: Kenley Matheson went missing Sept.21, 1992 from Acadia University  (Read 48695 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
After reading a post from "straita" just now, I started checking and realized this young man is not listed on this site.  I googled and came up with mostly dead links.  Seems like he's been forgotten. Therefore, I started a topic thread for him and hope and pray we will hear from people on this.

Hi all...new to this site as of last night...came to it by way of the Clayton Miller group on FB.  I am so sorry to those of you searching for your loved ones and to those of you searching for justice for your loved ones, may 2009 bring you relief in your quests.  Just wanted to add to the post Maureen wrote regarding the young man who went missing from Acadia U.  His name was Kenley Matheson and he was from Port Hawkesbury.  He went missing on Sept.21/92 and has never been heard from again.  In 2005, the Wolfville police reopened his case as a cold case but once again they came up empty handed.  I think like many families of the missing, the Matheson's are at a point where they just want to have some closure, one way or the other.    I am praying that they will soon be able to go to bed one night and not have to wonder about the where-abouts of their son and brother!

Maureen

• View Profile
Re: Kenley Matheson went missing Sept.21, 1992 from Acadia University
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
Thank you straita for giving us Kenley's name and where he is from. I often thought about him and wondered what happened to him. It was a little over a year after the murder of my son and I knew how this family felt. I hope some day this family like us can have closure and I hope it is soon. Maybe someone may see Kenley's name on this site and have information about his disappearance. You never know. It may help. Thanks again.
Maureen

peripeteia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »

found this picture of Kenley on line, not much news available found two websites that
post news articles, and that a search was conducted in 2005. Seems odd to start a search then
13 years after the fact? It states he was from Cape Breton, and in his first year of since, the term
had only just begun, his sister attended the University and they saw one another the day before...

seems no one has a clue where he went, or what happened, last seen on the streets of Wolfville...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:58:44 PM by peripeteia »

mauvelilac

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Is it possible that this young man could have suffered from schizophrenia and the pressures of school were too much for him and he didn't want his family to be upset with him so he walked? Some sufferers live in their own little world and he may not have even realized he was ill. I know when the voices start coming some sufferers don't quite know how to take it. Just a thought.

bluejay67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 02:44:27 PM »
In the area he was in he would surely have been seen, I mean blink your eyes and you go through the community where he was living. Somebody knows something. I mean all the people he was with on that evening, friends that went to college with him should be questioned. Also, what were his marks like and what kind of a gentleman was he. Did he like to drink excessively, did he party a lot and things like that. If he went with persons drinking, anything could have happened and someone is holding a deep secret, just a thought of whatever happened to Kenley. I am glad his name is posted here too, because I couldn't think of his name.

mauvelilac

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »
Some families wait far too many years for answers of where their loved one has gone. From personal experience with the disappearance of my nephew who was missing for sixteen years, it's years of wondering and searching and praying and many, many, many tears. I hope this family has answers soon.

peripeteia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:41:59 AM »
I lived for 4 years recently in the area and was not aware that Kenley was missing from Acadia, there was never any talk of his disappearance, no posters, nada!

It is difficult for a community to find someone if you do not know they are missing!

Why is this so, do they figure he walked off to start a new life? SAD!
And the residents of the area and law enforcement need to wake up
down in the valley!

Is anyone listening?!

peripeteia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:44:35 AM »
Is it possible that this young man could have suffered from schizophrenia and the pressures of school were too much for him and he didn't want his family to be upset with him so he walked? Some sufferers live in their own little world and he may not have even realized he was ill. I know when the voices start coming some sufferers don't quite know how to take it. Just a thought.

I agree, except that if he was suffering from mental illness, they he would have wondered off somewhere or have taken his life, and his body would have been found by now, but no sign of him yet? This says to me his body is hidden, or was swept away in the tide of the minas basin?

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
I am from NS. and I know that at the time that Kenley disappeared there was not a lot made of it, which should have been in '92, because nobody goes missing around these parts, for sure. I just cannot believe that more wasn't made of this at the time. I mean we don't know anything about Kenley, did he have bad nerves, was he suicidal, did they think he walked off into the woods and did away with himself. I mean where he lived it is not like a big city, it is a very small college town. I do not know why posters and things were not plastered everywhere when he went missing. It would be nice to have some news on this from someone who knows the family. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:14:23 PM by capeheart »

CaperCountingBackwards

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »
I found this site in my search for info on Kenley. Everywhere I search online I find broken links. I am his cousin - he's two months older than me. And believe me, he is not forgotten. He has a family that waits for him, struggling to hold on but still move on. I so want answers - where is he? are you alive Kenley???

When Kenley disappeared there were as many theories on what happened as there were people to give them. As is the way when there are no answers I suppose. Psychics preyed on my aunt, plying her with false answers in hopes she would send money their way. A cousin later dreamt his body was in the water, an area that was later searched by divers. There was even an old friend of his a few years later who swore he saw him in Halifax but it never panned out. No answers. I have done double takes over the years when I see a slight guy in a ball cap, thinking maybe....

Kenley spent more than year travelling across Canada and down into South America after he finished high school in 1990. I moved to Ontario when I graduated and didn't have contact with him after that. I remember Kenley as a person who presented as quiet, low key and thoughtful. He had an amazingly dry sense of humor and he could make me laugh hard. He struggled with his parents' divorce and where he fit in in the world - perhaps these added to the usual coming of age struggles. I don't know. I have been thinking about him a lot lately.

I wish we had real answers. Did he have schizophrenia or another illness that affected his choices? If he did there were no significant signs of it prior to his disappearance. No signs of a psychotic break. His sister and her friends saw him earlier that day and days prior to the disappearance. He had a bank card - it's never been accessed since he disappeared. He took almost nothing with him.

Does anyone know where to start in getting a working link back up? I have found about 30 websites that have his name attached but everyone of them has the broken link.

thanks,
D

CaperCountingBackwards

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
My cousin disappeared in NS in 1992. I have been doing an online search to see what info is still available to help find answers and the link attached to his name on every missing persons website I have found is broken. No one can access anything about him. This makes me very sad - how is anyone going to keep up to search without any info?

Does anyone know where I need to start in getting a site link that is accurate? Is there a specific organization that keeps the sites updated? Is it the police? He disappeared in Wolfville, NS and he was from Port Hawkesbury, NS. I'm clueless but want to get this fixed - please share if anyone has any info. thanks!

D

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 03:50:57 PM »
caper; this is a good place to start.  Why not post your details about his disappearance here.  ...the last pic you have of him... his name .... and the details of his disappearance.  This site is "second to none".  As far as police sites, I don't follow them so much, but some on here do.  It appears you have to keep posting the information on any available sites yourself, if you don't want this forgotten and unsolved.

Maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
Capercountingback, would you know if his grades were failing and if he changed who his friends were. I remember hearing of cult activity in that area around the time of Kenley going missing. The police in our area have a tendency of covering up cult activity and they possibly could in your area too. I am not saying that Kenley was involved in the cult but he may have become a victim of it. HOPEFULLY NOT.
What is upsetting is his bank account has seen no activivty.
Many families go through divorce and the children suffer the most. Some of them get really quiet and deal with it in their own way while some lash out. I don't think Kenley would just leave and not tell anyone over the years that he is okay and where he is at. For someone to make it through high school and then be accepted into Acadia means you have a head on your shoulers.
If the family want to know what happened to Kenley I think they have to go back to the beginning and see who his friends were and who was the last person that saw him. I would check with his professors also. I would doo it myself instead of asking for outside help. Hiring your own investigator may help also.
I would also put it on Facebook everything you know and a picture on Kenley. If you could get one of what he would look like today would probably help if he is still with us and hopefully he is.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »
Capercountingback, so glad to hear from a family member. It would be really nice to know who was the last one to see Kenley. Did he have problems beforehand? Did he ever act like he wanted to leave college? Did he have a girlfriend that he had broken up with? Was there anyone he had trouble with. If he went out on a party, could he have gotten in trouble??? It all comes down to WHO SAW KENLEY LAST??? Where was he planning on going? We all know in N.S. how hard it would be to disappear in the community he was in. So it is a real mystery for us here in Nova Scotia. But he could have up and left for an adventure, but as you say, he didn't touch his bank account. A total mystery and it must be devestating for the family???? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 05:39:18 AM »
"Is there a specific organization that keeps the sites updated?"

No.

By and large each organization must maintain their own website content including links to any information.  What generally happens is that an organization will come and go, but their website is still up for a period of years - and eventually the content ages out and becomes stale.  If there are links to that stale information, they will return either old data or an error message.

In other cases, the links have been changed on the content website, but the website that provides links does not update their end.  This happens alot with police sites. 

A few years ago police service websites were pretty basic and the design and content were more or less left up to each service.  In the past few years police services have updated their websites, changed the location of content and so on.  But the links to that information from another website might not be changed.

Nowadays you have to be patient when trying to dig for detailed information.  If you encounter a broken link, go to the homepage of that broken link site and dig from there.  In many cases the information you are looking for is there, just relocated.

A good idea is to post your information here for now since this site is active and will likely be around for a few more years yet.