Author Topic: Marie Woods | September 19, 1981 | Age 31 | Murdered | Scarborough  (Read 7219 times)

Desespere

Marie Woods
DOB:
COD:
Date last seen: September 21, 1981
Location last seen: Scarborough, ON
Date found: November 10, 1986
Location found: Newmarket, ON

Marie Woods - November 10, 1986 - Age 31 - Murdered - Scarborough - On Tuesday September 22, 1981, Marie Woods, a 31 year old women who resided in Scarborough was reported missing to the Toronto Police Service, after she failed to arrive for work on September 21, 1981. Investigation revealed that Marie Woods was last seen alive on Saturday September 19, 1981. On September 21, 1981 Marie Woods vehicle, a Blue 1980 Subaru Station Wagon was located in the parking lot of the Scarborough Town Centre, 300 Borough Drive, Scarborough.

On Monday November 10, 1986, a resident of the area of Leslie Street and St. John's Side Road, in the Town of Newmarket, contacted York Regional Police in relation to the finding of human remains in that area. On November 27, 1986 the remains of Marie Woods were identified using dental records. An investigation into the disappearance of Marie Woods was undertaken by York Regional Police, but her killer remains at large.

http://www.police.york.on.ca/cold_cases/woods.htm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:26:30 PM by Desespere »

velvet

• View Profile
Re: Marie Woods ? September 19, 1981 ? Age 31 ? Murdered - Scarborough
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »
RE: MARIE (MARIA) WOODS SEPT/ 81
MARIA LEFT HER DAUGHTER JENNIFER AT MY DAYCARE AND WHEN SHE FAILED TO SHOW UP I TOOK HER HOME AS WE LIVED NEXT DOOR TO EACH OTHER. HER HUSBAND WAS CALLED THEN I CALLED THE POLICE. BECAUSE THEY WERE LEGALLY DIVORCED HE COULD NOT GO INTO HER HOME SO I WENT WITH THE POLICE INSIDE AND MANY TIMES THEREAFTER. EXACTLY A MONTH FROM MARIA'S DISAPPEARANCE ANOTHER WOMAN ALSO NAMED MARIA WOODS DISAPPEARED FROM A SHOPPING MALL IN BARRIE ONTARIO. WHEN I RETURNED FROM THE STATES IN THE EARLY NINETIES THE POLICE WERE THE FIRST AT MY DOOR ASKING ME ABOUT MARIA. SURPRISED TO FIND OUT THEY WERE JUST GETTING READY TO COME TO THE US LOOKING FOR ME AND MORE SURPRISED TO FIND OUT THAT EVERYTHING THAT WAS SAID OR DONE IN EARLIER investigations HAD BEEN LOST SO THEY WERE BACK TO SQUARE ONE.

THERE WERE SEVERAL PEOPLE OF INTEREST THOSE DAYS, ONE RUSHED BACK TO ITALY, ANOTHER WENT TO JAIL FOR DOING THE SAME TO A YOUNG GIRL THAT HE HAD DONE TO MARIA THE WEEK SHE DISAPPEARED. IT WAS IN THE PAPERS FOR WEEKS ABOUT HIS TRIAL. I REMEMBER EVERYTHING,WORD FOR WORD THAT WENT ON THOSE DAYS BUT DON'T KNOW WHO DID IT OR WHAT WENT ON WITH THE investigation SINCE THEN. THE POLICE SPENT THREE DAYS WITH ME AND WE WENT THROUGH EVERYTHING STEP BY STEP BUT HAVE HEARD NOTHING SINCE. I WAS HEARTBROKEN TO HEAR THAT JENNIFER HAD PASSED AWAY WITH CANCER,SHE WAS SO YOUNG AND HAD GONE THROUGH SO MUCH. THIS CASE WAS VERY DRAINING ON ME AS EVERYDAY,DAY AFTER DAY I KEPT GOING OVER EVERYTHING JUST WONDERING IF I HAD MISSED SOMETHING. IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING PLEASE CONTACT THE POLICE. THANKS

sorry for capitals

Sleuth

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »
Welcome velvet!!! Thank you for the information on Maria. Two Maria Woods went missing and one Maria's remains found? Sounds like a hit with one of the Maria's being the wrong person. And Maria's daughter died of cancer. So very, very sad.  :'(
I'm not surprised that the POLICE ONCE AGAIN LOST all information pertaining to a murder case. How do they do that? Do they put the information box out on the front lawn for a lawn sale along with other not needed stuff.

Des; do have the two Maria Wood's in your data bank? Or are both of them on this board? Okay Des, I found the other Maria. I leaped before looking.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:13:16 PM by Sleuth »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
That is horrible. I know in those days police were not trained for tihs sort of stuff, but it is off to lose that stuff and if there were 2 good POI, I am sure if they acted quicker it might have been solved.

The other marie woods? Maybe it was a hit job and the guy got the wrong one. Same thing in Houston, Texas, 2 women iwth the same name killed within days of each other.

gcaronzoratto

• View Profile
Re: Marie Woods | September 19, 1981 | Age 31 | Murdered | Scarborough
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »
I have always been mystefied by Maria Wood's dissappearance. She was a client of mine at the time looking for a house  to start a new life.  I had found a perfect home for her and she brought her brother for a second opinion at the time...and then I never heard back from her..the next thing I heard is that her car was found at the Scarborough Town Centre...I was stunned!!
I still think of her and am still stunned to this day...

Snively

• View Profile
Re: Marie Woods | September 19, 1981 | Age 31 | Murdered | Scarborough
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:14:27 AM »
Peter Stark, who was convicted in 1994 of the murder of Julie Stanton, had dated Marie Woods.  He was definitely considered a suspect at the time, and had prior to that had been charged with the stabbing of a teenage hitchhiker in 1978.  She survived but wouldn't testify and Stark only received a 6 month sentence.

In 1991 a further forensic investigation of the scene where Marie Woods body was found turned up that she been shot with a .45 caliber.  A shell casing was located and was dated to a WW2 issue bullet.  Stark was known to have received a WW2 vintage .45 Colt from his father, but he disposed of the gun and it never has been found.  While certainly a logical suspect he was never charged with the murder of Marie Woods.

Apparently Stark was considered a suspect in some other unsolved cases around the GTA at that time as well.