Author Topic: Adam, Mitchell & Trevor O'Brien Abducted & Missing since Nov 09, 1996  (Read 49437 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Adam, Mitchell & Trevor O'Brien Abducted & Missing since Nov 09, 1996
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
Chet, I know we all have our feelings and opinions and that is what we are all about. So it would be great if it was true that they were okay, but I don't hold any hope of that. ??? ??? ???

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
One of my Newfie friends brought this case up and I found the following.  Thoughts?

Ontario police trying to refresh O'Brien lead
Last Updated: Thursday, April 22, 1999 | 5:34 AM ET
CBC News

The mystery of Gary O'brien and his three missing children has moved to Ontario
In November 1996, O'Brien disappeared with his three boys from their home in Torbay. Now police in Thunder Bay Ontario are desperately trying to find a woman who may lead them to the missing family.

Last year Child Find Canada received an anonymous tip from a woman in Thunder Bay. She recognized pictures of the boys on a visa bill.

Detective Constable Don Hurd says the caller identified herself as a babysitter who had taken care of the boys. Hurd says the woman knew some family-related details, such as one of the boy's nicknames.

Thunder Bay Police have been trying to find her, O'Brien and the children. Hurd says investigators have exhausted all possible angles, so they are going public in hopes of finding the woman.

They've also contacted law enforcement officials across Ontario in case O'Brien is still in Thunder Bay and plans to flee.

This was from 1999.  She seems pretty certain it was them.  If they are alive, this guy is one hell of a hider.  How do you conceal four people?

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
Actually at that time it would have been reall easy to hide in Thunder Bay.  I moved up there prior to that, and while moving lost my two kids ID including their health cards.  I had no trouble registering them in school with out any id, .  Thunder Bay back then was a bit behind times so it would have been quite easy to be living openly in Thunder Bay and not be noticed what so ever.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
Given that she knew one of the boy's nicknames (which was not made available to the public) I am wondering why nothing has been heard about them since 1999.  It's weird- I could see them all dying the first day OR still hiding, but I can't see them being hidden until 1999 THEN harmed after.  So, if this was them, then where in the world are they now?  could they still be in Thunder Bay?  They would all be well into adulthood now, and from what eyes just said, it's easy to register kids there (such was the case in Edmonton too...random...) in school.  Also, I think a lot of these non-custodial parents get away with this stuff for so long because they claim to be/are homeschooling, which I think needs to be looked into by local authorities more.

So, if they ARE alive, I am thinking the father might have relaxed his grip on them a bit because of their ages.  I can see the 5 year old (now 21) being completely brainwashed because he was so young when he was taken.  It could be that the father threatened to harm him if the older boys spoke up.  Who knows.  It could also be that they received no schooling and turned to alcohol and drugs/life on the streets, dispersed from each other.  I often wondered how many of my shelter clients over the years could be possible cases of abduction.  We would have people with no ID and no family just show up.

Things just aren't adding up here.  Why would he plant a bomb in order to distract police while he disappeared if he was just going to kill them?  Wouldn't he just take the boys out for a drive during visitation and murder them that way?  It just seems his plan was too elaborate if murder was the goal.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:47 PM »
And why plant a bomb? That is not at all within the range of normal behavior. We are talking about a seriously disturbed person who should have attracted some attention throughout the years if he is in hiding.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:18:58 AM by leonagleant »

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
Is there anyone here that lives in Newfoundland that could possibly take a picture of the cliff where they found the car?

October

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
My Father knew Gary O'Brien... Don't hold it against him. We also lived near by the mother.

I don't have much to add to your discussion but this.

3 of Gary O'Brien's close friends committed suicide in the years following the disappearance. Coincidence? Maybe. Guilty Conscience? Just as possible.
Whether they knew the Fate of the 4, or aided them in disappearing I can't say. Maybe the men taking their lives had nothing to do with this case, but it's makes you wonder.

Take from that what you will.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
Hi October,

That is very interesting isn't it?  Of course, it could be anything.  Often times it is theorized that suicide is almost contagious in people who may have been masking depression.  One person finds a way out and it becomes easier to lose yourself to that, as it were.  But yes, it could be guilty conscience.  Or fear of the law.

coldwinters

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
NTV news mentioned the O'Briens tonight on the evening news. They said it is believed they may be living in the USA. NTV didn't give any evidence or reason as to why they are believed to be in the USA.

Does anyone know of any evidence to suggest the O'Briens may be living in the USA?

I believe I wrote here before that I think the father killed the 3 boys here and none of them ever left the island.

Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
This came across my facebook today and I did a share and read a few newspaper articles. If their mother believes that the father could have taken them to a cult environment to live, then there are certain cults that show pictures of members i.e. New Vindraban in West Virginia (I did some snooping). Perhaps they could view the pictures and look for people resembling her sons or the father? Just a thought.