Author Topic: Adam, Mitchell & Trevor O'Brien Abducted & Missing since Nov 09, 1996  (Read 49185 times)

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
Taken from The NFLD Telegram

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is hoping that age-enhanced pictures will help to find Adam, Trevor and Mitchell O?Brien.
The RNC is working with Child Find to distribute new missing-persons posters in an attempt to solve the 11-year-old case.
The three children went missing in November 1996 along with their father, Gary O?Brien.
Anyone with information should contact the RNC at 729-8000, Child Find at 1-800-387-7962, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Taken off Reader's Digest Website

Adam, Trevor and Mitchell O?Brien, Torbay, Nfld.

Diana O?brien feels closest to her boys when she?s dreaming, and able to hold, hug and comfort them. Reality sets in when she wakes to three empty bedrooms.

Diana?s world turned upside down on November 9, 1996, when her ex-husband, Gary O?Brien, allegedly abducted 14-year-old Adam, 11-year-old Trevor and four-year-old Mitchell.
She remembers the beautiful fall day as if it were yesterday. Gary had visitation with the children on Saturdays. He called that morning to say he would be late picking them up. Diana told Gary that Mitchell wasn?t feeling well and that she thought it best he stay home with her. Gary became angry and insisted she have Mitchell ready when he got there around noon.

Gary picked the boys up at their mother?s apartment in Mount Pearl, Nfld., then called that night at around 8:30. He told Diana the children were not coming home and that the family house in nearby Torbay was rigged to explode.

?I asked to speak with the children, and he told me ?later,?? Diana says. ?I screamed at him?and the phone went dead.?

Diana called the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. When police went to the family home, they defused a propane-rigged bomb they say could have levelled the neighbourhood. A nationwide hunt for Gary and the boys began. Gary is listed on Interpol?s web site for abduction and attempted murder.

Diana believes the planting of the explosive was Gary?s way of enabling an escape. ?He knew I would phone the police and that they?d rush to the house,? she says.

Since the disappearance, the story has been featured nationally as well as on America?s Most Wanted. Over 200 sightings have been received from across Canada and the United States. Police say some of the tips came from people who knew Gary and knew what the children looked like.

But ?we?ve had nothing where we can say, categorically, ?That?s them,?? says Staff Sgt. Robert Johnston of the major crimes unit.

One year after the O?Briens went missing, the waters off a cliff near Torbay were searched. Cars are sometimes driven over the 90-metre drop there into the ocean. The search located an engine assembly from a 1989 Ford Tempo.

The serial number matched that of Gary?s car. Because there?s no indication anyone was in the car at the time it plunged over the cliff, police still consider the case an active file.

Diana believes that, like rigging the house to explode, Gary got rid of the car to mislead police. She is adamant that the boys are missing, not murdered. She describes her ex-husband as a good father who would never physically harm his children.

?I live for the day when my boys will come back,? she says. ?That?s the day I?ll feel complete again.?

Link TO THEIR Posters

Case number:
Num?ro de dossier:    10,000-P

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
Re: Adam, Mitchell & Trevor O'Brien Abducted & Missing since Nov 09, 1996
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »
I was surprised there was nothing on this case posted. Mauv, Chris, Adrian & the rest.. curious to your thoughts on this case? It was a parental abduction, the father took all 3 boys...... but I am interested in your thoughts.

mauvelilac

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »
I think Never that with the cars engine being found the police pretty much wrote it off as suicide. I believe they are alive. I was in Newfoundland in 2005, went to the area where the car went off and I don't buy the suicide either. A mother, deep in her heart knows when her child is dead, much less three. I see a New in the place where they are. I thought at first New Hampshire but it could be New Brunswick. New Hampshire is just over the border from New Brunswick. With my luck they could be in Ontario right under my nose.
The one thing that bothers me and I don't know if they did this in 1996 but when I went over, they took the licence plate # of my RV and my daughter's van and recorded the # of people in each vehicle. Assuming the father gave alias names, they still should be able to determine if he and the boys took the ferry, when and which ferry. I think after November 1st only one ferry runs from Placentia if I'm not mistaken.

TrialAndError

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:18:37 AM »
The only ferry that runs to and from NFLD after the end of october is the one from port aux basques. and one from lewisport to labrador. but if i were him i would have went to st. pierre being that it is owned by france and they wont share information with another country. there for he could stay there as long as it takes for the waters to calm and return to canadian soil or fly from there to well anywhere in the world.

He was smart enough to leave enough behing to buy just enough time to make it to the st. pierre ferry with the bomb and the "suspected suiside" and how many police officers would even think that he would skip the country in that manner? it makes the most sence. i mean if i just kidnapped 3 kids and tried to kill someone i would want to get somewhere that even if they did find me they wouldnt beable to touch me. The police wouldnt have had enough time to alert the ferry service running to st. pierre being that its only a few hours drive to get there as apposed to half a day to the ferry across to nova scotia and to risk getting off the ferry to a hord of cops waiting for him...just my theory....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:24:44 AM by TrialAndError »

mauvelilac

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
It's a pretty good theory Trial and makes perfect sense. Thank you for correcting me on the ferry that runs after October. I really couldn't remember.  So would he take the Lewisport ferry to St. Pierre or is this a totally different ferry you are speaking of and where would he have caught it?
Just wondering, if time had passed and everything cooled down could he have flown from this St. Pierre or would he have had to return to Nfld to do so?

TrialAndError

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
sorry the st. pierre ferry runs from a town called fortune which is just south of grand bank. im going to estimate the drive there at about 3 hours and he could have taken all the back roads through small towns to avoid any cops on the highway. and i know that from st. pierre they have a few flights back to eastern canada and im pretty sure there is an air france flight that goes back and forth.

Also as i can remember the security on that ferry is quite pathetic being that st.pierre is such a small place and has virtually no threats he could have just bought the tickets without even having to give a name, leaving him free to pass back and forth from st.pierre to newfoundland whenever he deemed necessary.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:13:32 PM by TrialAndError »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
A lot of Newfoundlands in North Sydney and New Waterford....also in New Brunswick for that matter.  ...seeing as this became considered closed by the RNC -and it was taken off Reader's Digest Website, do any of you have pics of this missing children and their Dad?

mauvelilac

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »
They have a facebook group Ling.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=13630588125

You'll find pictures there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:45:50 PM by mauvelilac »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
thanks mauve; ...looking for age enhanced pic.... newfoundlanders usually keep the accent (as Capers do) - you know there's one near by their voice.... so I would like to see some photos in case I hear a Newfoundland accent near by anywhere I'm out to.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:20:20 PM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »
Actually; Readers Digest is still displaying this.
http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2002/04/help_us.html

mauvelilac

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
I feel sorry for these boys to be raised by a father capable of doing what he has done. What kind of example has he set as a parent? What must they think of their poor mother who has been missing them this many years. I hope they didn't grow up to be as hateful and vindictive as their father was when he took them from their mother and created all that diversion. This man needs to be found and pay for his, non-custodial parental kidnapping and the bomb diversion. 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
mauve; I've written the creator of the facebook page; i'm trying to find a picture of the heartless jerk that calls himself "a father" do I can study his face....and post it for others to see.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:18:26 PM »
Hey thanks for getting the discussion rolling on this one, it's pretty hard to find a lot of info on it. I've read the articles I could find... done my facebook version of research hoping the boys are still alive and discovering all the things people their age are into like facebook... I am always waiting for one of these missing kids we talked about to turn up.... with no idea they are being looked for the way they are you know? ... I can't imagine how the poor mom feels.