Author Topic: David William Threinen | Child Serial Killer (Saskatoon Mid 70's)  (Read 50038 times)

redbeard

• Author of Cold North Killers, coming March 3, 2012
    • View Profile
Re: David William Threinen | Child Serial Killer (Saskatoon Mid 70's)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 01:05:42 AM »
Hi Trever,

I'm sorry to hear about your family's terrible ordeal.  I have been looking to track down a mugshot of David Threinen for a book I am publishing on Canadian serial murders in the late fall/early winter.  Do you or your family still have a contact for any of the investigators who worked the case?  I am hoping that by keeping these stories in the public's memory, we can ensure that men like Threinen don't ever get out again. 
Feel free to PM me,

Redbeard

veritas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
hi all, i don't have a mugshot but am compelled to add comments. i was in my late teens during the time threinen was loose in Saskatoon. my little sister was of preschool age, and one afternoon, a car matching the description that was given (before threinen was apprehended) drove slowly down our street and slowed even more so in front of the house where my little sis and her friends were playing in the front yard. this was two or three houses down from ours, on the east side of town. i happened to walk out our front door and saw the car slow. he must have seen me because he took off. 
my cousin thinks he did some work on threinen's car during this period.
my boyfriend's parents' property is just south of where the kids' bodies were found out along highway 11.
my aunt and uncle worked at a hotel frequented by city pd detectives. after the kids' bodies were found, some of the cops talked a little about the horror of this case - nothing major, but enough to let my relatives know how horrendous this was for everyone involved...
i read a story in the vancouver province a few years back that mentioned d threinen..it was something along the lines of the guy showing remorse for a horrific crime he had committed - he was in Agassiz at the time of the article - good for him for being remorseful and not wanting parole - i hope that is true. i was disgusted though, when i read the article because it mentioned only his name, not why he was in prison. i contacted the author to let her know exactly what he was being remorseful for.  You are correct. These things should not be forgotten.
I REMEMBER!!!!

veritas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
check this out for some comments regarding threinen's prior record in alberta in the Hansard for the sask legislature sitting 1977

http://www.legassembly.sk.ca/hansard/18L3S/770317Hansard.pdf

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:30 AM »
It must have rocked everyone back then in Saskatoon!

Yes it bothers me the justice system was soooo generous to him in Alberta. That should never have happened. The 70's were the peak of weirdness in the courts and I am glad those days are over.

redbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »
Hey Chris,

Ever take a look at parole board decisions in the 80s?  Holy smokes.  They let at least 5 obvious sexual sadists back into the population.  I've got a whole chapter devoted to it in the book.  Things seem to have stabilized to my mind in the mid-nineties.

HeatherB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
I was in grade one and lived 2 houses away...was playing with the kids and they went for icecream and never came back. I remember the whole neighbourhood changed....we were carefree playing in the orchard and running in the park that day, doing what kids do, and they never came back. Sutherland was a beautiful place to live...but after this happened everyone was on high alert. In grade three I was "picked up" by a man in a car, young and stupid. He said he was from the STAR PHOENIX Newspaper and was writing a story. He would take my photo and pay me for my story. I got in, he drove me out of town, and got stuck in some mud. I was blessed because as he got the car out of the mud he had the time to think and change his mind. He drove me straight back to school, I arrived unharmed and police were called, 3 days of looking at mug shots and much terror in this little community again. We moved shortly.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
Hi HeatherB. Wow that is amazing you are very fortunate not to have been harmed. It must have been sureal to have lived through that. Those poor folks who lived in that area at this time must have been terrified.

Roz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Cathy was my best friend.  I remember bits and pieces of that time, and have most of the newspaper articles of her's and Samantha's disappearance and subsequent arrest of Mr Threinen.  I was playing in Sutherland Park with Cathy and Sam that afternoon and, had I not been instructed by my parents to come home by the specific time I had been given, I most likely would not be writing this post today.  That thought leaves a terrible gut wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
I'm sorry about your friend. It's quite clear friends and even strangers are still feeling the fear and pain 37 years later. What a horrible event, I am glad you went home and did not end up being harmed.

Burnsy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
Hello everyone,
 I was curious to see what has happened to David Thrienen over the years. My father Lieutenant Gordon Malcolm, was the head of the case.  My father passed away 25 years ago. I was around 12 at the time of the murders and remember it well. My father never spoke of work related things at home. He was a professional. Years later, my Mom told me some details regarding the crimes.  I now realize why so many of those cops were the way they were. They had to deal with such horrible things. My heart goes out to the victims and the families.  Sometimes in the summer, as my mother and I would shop downtown Saskatoon, we would pass by Mr. Cranfield and my mom would always say hello.  The first time it happened, I asked "Who is that"? She replied " Mr. Cranfield, the father of that little girl".  I've never forgotten that, and always wondered how he managed. I know his wife was very ill back then too. I heard he passed a few years ago. Anyway,,,I just felt the need to check this out after all these years. God Bless the good and damn the rest.

Baba Donya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
Dahrlyne and I were childhood friends. I was very devastated when I learned of her murder. My family had moved to Alberta, just before this happened. My mom and her mom were friends. Does anyone know if he wore particular clothing? I think, I too had seen this man, and I was with Dahrlyne at the time, when her mom was over for a visit.

redbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
Threinen is alive.  He just got transferred to Kingston Penitentiary, which is strange considering it is closing.

tanisb

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
Actually Threinen is not in Kingston but Dorchester New Brunswick and has been since he left Mountain Institute in 2007. I am Samantha's only sister and actually going to meet and interview him tomorrow. There is questions and answers that only that man can tell me and has agreed to do so. My mother died last year and has never spoken about it to me. Most of my information was from my brothers who were older. Samantha was 8 when she died and I was 4. I dont want people to get the wrong impression, I am not going to forgive him, lets face it... how can one actually forgive someone who took a family member from you, but to close a chapter in my life. He agreed to speak with me as he beleives he is on a place that he deserves and will never get out. So if anyone would like to know more, please feel free to contact me. I will discuss what I can, but bear in mind, some thing I may not be able to

bekkabekka

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »
tanisb - good luck today.  I can't imagine how hard it will be for you to face the man who did brutal things to your sister.
But I understand the need for closure.
Let us know what you can - if anything.
He needs to die in jail. 
I am a true believer in karma and his will come.

tanisb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
Well I have had my meeting and trust me this was very hard. But so glad I did! The stories that are in the Star phoenix and internet are not accurate by no means. I understand the issues behind David Threinen but by no means forgive him, and he was told that. My family needed closureand I beleive we have that now! Just a word of advise, dont always beleive what you read, or what you read from other people. He did not prey on theses kids!