Author Topic: David William Threinen | Child Serial Killer (Saskatoon Mid 70's)  (Read 49703 times)

SAP

Re: David William Threinen | Child Serial Killer (Saskatoon Mid 70's)
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »
Perhaps you might enlighten us as to what is correct and not correct about the stories printed about him, tanisb? He had many victims and left a swath of broken families ... I don't know how to sugarcoat something like that.
I am, however, happy that you have found resolve.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
I have not read a single thing that exaggerates this guys behavior at all.

Darrell41

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »
Hi a story on this page which alleged the convicted killer was caught after unsuccessfully attempting to abduct two youngsters, seems to contradict  official police reports of the capture.
The killer was questioned originally after a tip to police that the vehicle he owned ( matching a description provided by abduction witnesses) had been repainted recently, once he received a comment in jest about its resemblance to the wanted vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:58:24 PM by Darrell41 »

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
I was 12 when Cathy Scott was taken with her friend from the park directly across the street from my house. We were away on holidays and pretty much everyone on our block was gone either to work or on holidays that day. We found out about it when our house was on national TV. Cathy was younger than me, I knew her older sister. There were many days that my friends and I would go through Apex (a brick yard) to the Igloo ( an ice cream stand) for a treat. It took about a week for the city to come and hack the caragana bushes in front of the park down to about 2 feet tall. Before that you could not see into the park from our house. Life changed for all children in the area after that. We used to have little supervision and would just say that we were going somewhere and off we would go. Be home by dark were the instructions given to us. After the abductions and especially during the search period we were under house arrest and there were no children out without parents close by. What I recall my dad telling me about the catching of Threinen was that there were the brother and sister who gave an excellent description and that David worked at Canadian Tire and the other employees noticed the likeness to the composite. In gathering evidence the police went around the Mayfair neighbourhood that David lived in and found a neighbour that he borrowed a shovel from that was not returned. That was a major clue for the police. I am so glad that Threinen told the board not to release him. The families should not have to deal with this any more. On another note there was a boy that lived in Sutherland and moved with his dad after his parents divorced. He visited his mom during the Easter break and was murdered by Clifford Olson.  How sad that two children I knew were murdered by serial killers. That boy's name was Daryn Johnsrude (sp?). He was a year younger than I was so I remembered him quite well. He lived next door to my best friend in Sutherland and we would hang out when I went to her place. I can remember those times like yesterday.

linda scott

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
Thank you for your memories about this horrific time in all our lives.  Linda Kathy's sister.

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
Bless you Linda,

I was Valerie Stefanuk growing up and was friends with Cathy Smale. We lived next door to each other and Cathy was in your grade at school. I really think of your lovely sister very frequently and hope your family has been able to find peace.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
I cannot imagine the horror this had on people. I am so sorry for your friend/sister.

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
I certainly hope that the comment "he did not prey on these children" mean that the children themselves are at fault for "leading him on"... that is quite a common "defense" that pedo's like to use

linda scott

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
Kathy's parents have passed away as is her sister Susan.  When mom passed away in 2011, I knew then that Kathy was never coming home.  This broke my heart into smaller pieces.

kitso

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »
In 2000 he applied for parole, but there is nothing to say if he got out or not? does anyone know?

This guy murdered 4 kids by luring them in Saskatoon. He was arrested after he told police where the bodies could be found. See attachments.

This was in 1974 and 1975. Judge gave him 20 years in prison for this. I'll try to get more details.
in august 1974 I was approached by david, he was talking to another person he had his foot on the bumper of a VW beetle when he came out to the middle of the road to talk to me, I stoppedmy bike turned around and went straight home told my mom. The Saskatoon city police came over I talked to them took them to the spot, that night they arrested micheal. My mind still goes back to that incident of micheal walking out to talk to me. I know its a long time ago but I think he should still be in jail for the murders of those 4 children.Thankyou for allowing me to talk about that time in my life

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
I know we all feel he should have been locked up and the key thrown away, but that never happens.  The least he should have been given was 4 life sentences imo! ... it wasn't even one life sentence!  ..which begs the question:  What kind of system, or judge, would put such a low price on the heads of three beautiful innocent children?  a pedophile sympathizer perhaps?  something wrong with this for sure!  Is he out on the street? where?  can somebody at least find the animal?

Donbakalar

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
I am Donnie the older brother to Samantha Bakalar.Threinen has denied all attempts for his parole. He does not feel he should be released.
This year marks 40 years, and the memory is as painful now as then. I receive updates every time there is any relevant information with regards to him ie: health/hospital visits etc.. He is 67 now and my belief is that he will die in jail. I am okay with that!!
We spend time remembering Samantha daily as she is the one to be remembered..NOT Threinen.

DonnaS

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »
Hi Donnie, my name is Donna.  I was 10 when sister Kathy was 7 and Samantha was 8.  This year does mark 40 years and you are so right that the memory is as painful now as then, very painful.  I think of your family every day, as well as Robert and Dahrlyne, every day when I think of Kathy.  Tomorrow, July 26th, will be 40 years since the day our lives changes forever.  Please feel my heartfelt love now and forever to you and your family.  Maybe one day we can have coffee together.

DonnaS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
I would like to take this opportunity to say a heartfelt hello to Trever and Tanis also along with Donnie.  You are like long lost family to me.  My heart aches for us.  My number is ****I live in Saskatoon, just in case.....Take care my friends.

***edited to remove personal phone number. Anyone wishing to contact DonnaS can do so via private message.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:58:15 PM by debbiec »