Author Topic: David William Threinen | Child Serial Killer (Saskatoon Mid 70's)  (Read 46776 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
In 2000 he applied for parole, but there is nothing to say if he got out or not? does anyone know?

This guy murdered 4 kids by luring them in Saskatoon. He was arrested after he told police where the bodies could be found. See attachments.

This was in 1974 and 1975. Judge gave him 20 years in prison for this. I'll try to get more details.

GrammsBee3

• View Profile
Re: David William Threinen | Child Serial Killer (Saskatoon Mid 70's)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
I don't know what happened to him, but when I searched the name when I was at work today, I read a victim impact statement/letter of forgiveness from a family of the victims. I was incredibly moved. The name David William Threinen will not escape my memory. When he was committing these awful offences against humanity, I was within the same age range of the victims. I was 9 and there was a school bully that was awfully cruel, he said "I wish it was you instead of Samantha that was murdered......" (Kids can be so cruel.) Well, when you are only 9 you are wanting to live a long life and don't think about dieing...It has been 35 years this year and I don't know how to find out except to send a letter to Agassiz, B.C. as that is where he was 9 years ago...Good luck and if you find out anything, keep me posted.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:20:13 AM »
I just found this, so I am assumming that he requested no parole.

Thur Aug 24 2000 16:00:07
DAHRLYNE CRANFIELD (12) and ROBERT GRUBESIC (9) - abducted June 1975
SAMANTHA Bakalar  (8) and CATHY SCOTT (7) - abducted July 1975
David Threinen, 52 - "fixated pedophile" with predatory and homicidal tendencies
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Agassiz, British Columbia, Canada
Serial child killer says he doesn't want parole or useless treatment -- (CP)
A serial child killer who terrorized Saskatoon with a string of murders in the mid-1970s told a parole board Thursday he's where he belongs - in prison until he dies.

http://www.cybersleuths.com/news/00__2000news/08252000.2747.htm
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:59:59 PM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
I don't think he is out either. Sask TV just did a profile of this case, but no one mentioned he is out of prison.

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »
I have been all over the court records to find out if he a release date.Could someone have a look around to see if they come up with anything. I can't find a thing on him. >:(

His case was mentioned in the book just another dead Indian, I wounder if the publisher will be doing a follow up. This might be one way of getting more info.

shkajo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »
I cannot believe it has been 35 years, I remember that day like it was yesterday.  I was 8 years old the day when Robert and Darhlyne were taken.  They only lived a block from me and that morning all the kids in the neighborhood were out playing.  Everyone went home for lunch and they never came back, we went to Robert's house to see if he was coming out to play but his grandmother (who spoke very little english) said he wasn't home.  His little brother said they went bike riding.  It wasn't till later that evening my family found out that there were missing and all the kids that were playing with them talked to the cops one of them remembered that the brother had said they went riding their bikes on the bike trails along the river in Saskatoon.  That is where their bikes were found.   

I one thing I do remember is him getting caught but how did he get caught and how did they find the children's remains and where were they if anyone knows these answers please let me know

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
Hi shkajo,

After being arrested, he told police where they can kind the bodies I believe. I cannot remember how he got cuaght. next time I am in Swift Current I'll track down the Sask crimes book and read it again. It must have been just horrifying in Saskatoon those days.

shkajo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »
Thanx for the reply

as I said I was a young kid when the murders happened and the fact that I knew two of the victims and they were neighbors of mine it was harsh.  But then u had ur parents freaking out cause some crazy person was out there grabbing kids yeh it wasn't an easy time especially in our neighborhood

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
Convicted child killer tells parole board: keep me in prison
Last Updated: Thursday, August 24, 2000 | 4:37 PM ET
CBC News
The father of a child murdered 25 years ago in Saskatoon is relieved the killer is not getting out of prison. Daye Cranfield's 12 year-old daughter was kidnapped and strangled in 1975.

The man who confessed to the crime, David Threinen, appeared before the National Parole Board today.

Threinen says he should die behind bars. He also conveyed his apologies to the victims' families.

Daye Cranfield is pleased with the results of today's the hearing. He says Threinen doesn't deserve to be paroled.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2000/08/24/threin000824.html#ixzz1B9HO2Ayg

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »
I am very sorry about your aunt!

I hope this man never gets out. He's one of the worst criminals in our history.

Last summer I was in Saskatoon, and wanted to visit the area's he operated in. It was raining, but I hope to get a chance soon. I feel so badly for all the families of the victims.

walleye

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
I cannot believe it has been 35 years, I remember that day like it was yesterday.  I was 8 years old the day when Robert and Darhlyne were taken.  They only lived a block from me and that morning all the kids in the neighborhood were out playing.  Everyone went home for lunch and they never came back, we went to Robert's house to see if he was coming out to play but his grandmother (who spoke very little english) said he wasn't home.  His little brother said they went bike riding.  It wasn't till later that evening my family found out that there were missing and all the kids that were playing with them talked to the cops one of them remembered that the brother had said they went riding their bikes on the bike trails along the river in Saskatoon.  That is where their bikes were found.   

I one thing I do remember is him getting caught but how did he get caught and how did they find the children's remains and where were they if anyone knows these answers please let me know
Hi there,
my name is Michael Hansen.It is because of my sister that David was caught! My sister and I were walking home from Caswell school for lunch in 1975 and we went down the back alley when suddenly we were grabbed from behind us,it was David Threinen!He threw us in the front seat of the car and drove off down the back alley.My sister Jean Hansen bailed out of the car and escaped running home.David freaked out and was asking me were we lived! I wouldn't tell him.He was slapping me an saying he would kill me if I wouldn't tell him!David was driving all around the area.Meanwhile my sister made it home and told my Mom everything and my Mom was freaking out and contacted the Saskatoon city police and spoke to Dave Scott and Doug Sather.I all of the sudden seen police cars in the area and David threw me out while he was driving in front of Ashworth Holmes Park close to the little building that said danger on the door.The police had a description of the car and what the man looked like.David was picked up and put in a police lineup.I was so sick from what happened and I vomitted for 3 days!My sister was asked to go look at the lineup and she looked at all of the men back and forth and then she said there he is,he's got the eye's of the devil!!!I will never forget what happened,I was only 6 yrs old.I left out a few details in my story!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:42:24 AM by walleye »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:40:07 AM »
Wow! I am thankful for your sister. That would have been grim if not for her quick thinking. I hope y'all ended up getting over it in short order. Probably saved other kids too. Your poor mother probably thought about that every night after that.

It is a good thing the police came right away and got the guy. It amazes me how bold he became, just grabbing kids at that point.

trever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »
Hello All,

I am the older brother of Samantha Turner who was murdered by David Threinen. I can remember that day clearly as I was playing with friends that day when we all came home for supper and Samantha did not come home. Her and Cathy had walked to the store earlier that day and did not return. That summer my brother, sister and I stayed at friends across the city of Saskatoon and my step dad would visit us every week to give us an update on our sister. They found the bodies after they captured David and he showed them where they were. Not a day goes by without remembering her and I will never forgive him for what he did.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I am very very sorry about yoru sister. I cannot imagine how hard that is.

What part of the city did y'all live? Do you know where they were found?

I hope we can make sure this man never gets out of prison for this.

Thanks,

Chris

trever

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:24 PM »
we lived in sutherland if i remember correctly. I know the store was only two blocks from where we lived. As far as I can remember the bodies were found about five miles outside of the city by a bunch of trees. My stepdad never told us the details as we were all pretty young and he didn't want us to know those details.