Author Topic: Arlene McLean - Missing - September 8, 1999 - Eastern Passage, NS  (Read 21126 times)

peripeteia

• View Profile
Re: Arlene McLean - Missing - September 8, 1999 - Eastern Passage, NS
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:53 PM »
I thought I posted this before but that must have been only a thought, because I cannot find the post,
my thought was:  was the flight commander of Trenton, posted at the military base in Eastern Passage
at the time, he did live here, and I don't think he took up murdering women just before he got caught...

Also wondering if this commander is involved with the young girl from cape breton who was murdered in
Trenton some time ago, food for thought, which is rather stomach turning...

arlene on my mind

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
Arlene and I were neighbours.  We met at the bus stop sending our boys to school.  We chatted every evening as she walked her dog by my house.  We became closer and she invited me over for coffee just 2 days before she vanished.  While days passed and I looked for her and her car every where I went, I also took care of her son.  I was a caregiver to other neighbourhood children and I kept her little guy as preoccupied as I could.  I will never forget the time I took the kids swimming and brought Arlene's son home with swimmers itch.  I felt horrible about it but I also knew that it was one more distraction for him during that difficult time.  I thought of Arlene often even after I moved from Eastern Passage a few years later to Bridgewater.  Not long after my family moved, my young daughter was friends with, classmates and a neighbour of Karissa Boudreau.  She was very close to that investigation and all of my memories of Arlene came flooding back.  Every vigil for Karissa, every funeral and every day I drive by the site where her mom dumped her reminded me of Arlene.  Arlene doesn't know, but her case and me losing a friend helped me to help my daughter through the loss of Karissa.  Every time remains are found I wonder about Arlene and I grieve for Karissa.  I think about Arlene's son and partner and just wonder.....It feels good to share this story as I hope that I do not have to wonder and grieve for any more missing or murdered friends .

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
I'm thinking of taking a day to go look for Arlene along with Kimberly McAndrew.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »
I cannot remember a lot of news on this. I mean even on this site there is very little information. I don't know why this case just slipped away like nothing. I just cannot imagine how the people that knew Arlene feel. I mean especially when you have coffee with someone two days before they went missing, it is such a mystery. I'm wondering if she had any mental problems or was worried about anything or did she mention abuse from her husband. Sometimes people just do walk away, but they don't usually leave their children. And I'm wondering, where was she going, what was her destination or did she say, when she left the home??

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »
Arlene on my mind: Did you also get to know Arlene's common law partner? What was their relationship like and how did he react to her disappearance? I don't mean to suggest I assume he was responsible. The missing vehicle could also indicate Arlene drove away of her own accord.

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
Where is Arlene's son? Does anyone know his name??

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »
I am still not convinced because the police went in the home that the partner is totally innocent here. I don't want to accuse anybody of anything. But so many cases in these type of circumstances, it comes right back to something happening to the person at the residence. Does the partner have a good alibi for that night. And how old was the child???? Was the child questioned, I mean sometimes children do speak to a counsellor, if anything happened there is a way for them to be questioned. There are a few cases on here that seem to reflect the same circumstances and when it came down to the conclusion of the spouce missing, the husband had murdered his wife.

I distinctly remember a case from Newfoundland, almost the same circumstances. There was a child at home, the commonlaw wife supposedly went for a walk and a search was done and her body was found some distance away from her home. She was murdered.

I must say, I am not accusing anybody at this time. But a greater investigation should have been done in this case. To not know what has happened to a human being that left home in a vehicle and never came home, unacceptable that nothing has been done to find out what happened to this young woman. That is 12 years and nothing. Her young child would be a teenager now, so maybe the police should try to find this young child and find out if he can remember anything. It would not be the first time that children have remembered something when they are much older. Just a thought and if I was a family member, I'd be looking to solve what happened to Arlene. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »
Her son was 8 at the time of her murder so would now be approx 21-22 years old.

http://novascotia.ca/just/public_safety/rewards/case_detail.asp?cid=16

Peripitea: Colonel Russell Williams was not living in Nova Scotia at the time of this murder, he was in Ontario according to his bio:

Promoted to captain on January 1, 1991,[24] Williams was posted to 434 Combat Support Squadron at CFB Shearwater, N.S. in 1992, where he flew the CC-144 Challenger in the electronic warfare and coastal patrol role. In 1994, he was posted to the 412 Transport Squadron in Ottawa, where he transported VIPs, including high-ranking government officials and foreign dignitaries, also on Challengers.

Williams was promoted to major in November 1999 and was posted to Director General Military Careers, in Ottawa, where he served as the multi-engine pilot career manager
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:00:00 PM by leonagleant »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
I bellieve the police know more than we know about this case. I think that they do not have the proof to charge anybody, but must have some leads or something that they believe happened in this case. :( :( :( :( :(

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
To Arlene on my Mind: Thank you for your post, and tellng us about your friend Arlene. Her disappearance is mystifying.
- no remains found - no suspects as to foul play etc.  She simply vanished.
How kind of you to take her son out on outings and to care for him from time to time. Swimmers itch or not, I am sure that her son remembers you with fondness.

jb

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
A recent news article about Arlene.

It sounds like police are very much still interested in solving this case.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1152812-eastern-passage-woman-missing-since-1999?from=most_read&most_read=1152812

circumstances of her disappearance are suspicious and foul play may be involved.

They are working on an age-progression sketch of Arlene to show what she may look like now.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
My thoughts are that not too many mothers of young children leave the house at 8:30 p.m. "to go for a drive" without a particular destination. She might have done so if she had had an argument with her partner and needed to get away from the house though. Also would be very rare for a mother to permanently abandon her child, so I wonder why police are putting out an age progressed photo with the assumption she is still alive and at the same time saying foul play is possible?

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
My thoughts are that not too many mothers of young children leave the house at 8:30 p.m. "to go for a drive" without a particular destination. She might have done so if she had had an argument with her partner and needed to get away from the house though. Also would be very rare for a mother to permanently abandon her child, so I wonder why police are putting out an age progressed photo with the assumption she is still alive and at the same time saying foul play is possible?

Nice observation, maybe they know less than we think and are covering all possibilities. If they cannot find the family car then they really cannot be sure what direction this will go, accident, criminal or suicide? I assume.

Maybe that sentence was wrong, "to go for a drive" as it said she left her purse behind in the same statment but a later post noted she took her purse? That article also said without her medication? Could be blood pressure meds, antibiotics or antidepressant etc.?

Reason to step out for a drive? Maybe to destress from work? going to a convenience store? Maybe the child was not going to sleep so she stepped out so he would settle down with Dad, Maybe a family member called and she needed to take a drive to destress? Maybe this was a regular routine for her to go for a nice solo drive to end her day? Maybe she had an errand to run? Needed gas for the next morning?

Logical

Missing Arlene

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
I had known Arlene, her husband and her son for years, when she disappeared. It was a very tough time for all her friends and family. My sister and her were best friends. Her husband (Cliff) was heavily investigated and I do not believe that he had anything to do with her disappearance. He was a mess, for a long time after. We all were. Her son (Kevin) is doing okay, now living in Halifax. His life has been hard. You can only imagine.

I have read many comments on this case and have wondered, for years, where she could be. I am sure that someone knows something. I was peaked when I read a biography article on Russell Williams, stating that he was posted to 434 Combat Support Squadron in Shearwater around the time of her disappearance. I believe her husband also worked there around that time. This should be investigated further. Did she know him? Did Cliff work under him? Might she have been connected to him somehow? I would really like some answers.

To all of you on this site, I want to say thanks. She was a special woman with a belly laugh that brought a smile to anyone in the room :) Don't ever give up hope.

Missing Arlene :(

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »
Here is the only update that I can find.  Police are still concerned about her disappearance.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax/2014/09/08/police-still-looking-for-arlene-mclean-eastern-passage-woman-missing-since-1999.html

Police still looking for Arlene McLean, Eastern Passage woman missing since 1999

By: Staff Metro Halifax  Published on Sun Sep 07 2014

Fifteen years ago Monday, 28-year-old Arlene McLean walked out of her Eastern Passage home, and got into her car to go for a drive.

She never returned.

Investigators are still looking for McLean, who was last seen leaving her residence on Melrose Place at about 8:30 p.m. on Sept. 8, 1999.

McLean only had the clothes she was wearing at the time, along with her purse, when she disappeared. She left her common-law husband and eight-year-old son behind.

She left in the family car, a 1993 green four-door Hyundai Elantra, which was never recovered.

Halifax RCMP issued a news release Monday reiterating it's believed "the circumstances of her disappearance are suspicious."

Anyone with information is asked to call Halifax RCMP, Halifax Regional Police or Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

McLean's case is also part of the Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes Program, which offers cash rewards of up to $150,000 for information leading to arrest and convocation of those responsible for the offence. The program can be reached at 1-888-710-9090.