Author Topic: Arlene McLean - Missing - September 8, 1999 - Eastern Passage, NS  (Read 20448 times)

Interested

• View Profile

On September 8, 1999, at 8:30 p.m., Arlene McLean left her residence at 1 Melrose Place, Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia, in the family car, a 1993 four door green Hyundai Elantra, bearing Nova Scotia plate CMG-691. When she left, she gave her common-law husband the impression that she would not be gone long, however, she has not been seen since and her vehicle has never been recovered. When McLean left her residence, she took only her purse and the clothes she was wearing. Arlene left behind her eight year old son and her common-law husband.

Arlene is described as a Caucasian female, height: 5'2", weight is 135 lbs, brown hair and eyes and fair complexion. No further information has surfaced with respect to the whereabouts of Arlene McLean, and the circumstances of her diappearance are suspicious, and foul play may be involved.

Anyone with any information regarding the person or persons responsible for the disappearance of Arlene McLean should call the Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes Program at 1-888-710-9090. They are offering $150,000.00 for information leading to the arrest and conviction.

This missing person I hold a little more closely to heart. Although Arlene and I were not very close friends, we did grow up in the same community. ( Labrador City ) We often spoke. She is a very nice person from what I can recall. It has been a little over 9 years since her disappearance and her son will soon be 18 years of age. I do not know any information about her common law husband nor did I ever meet her son. The information that I had typed above can be retrieved on http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/public_safety/rewards/case_detail.asp?cid=16 along with a photograph of her. Unfortunately, I am not very good at posting from other sites :P......

I would be very interested if there is someone out there that is more familiar with her disappearance.....

Thanks!

peripeteia

• View Profile
Re: Arlene McLean - Missing - September 8, 1999 - Eastern Passage, NS
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »

Interested: Greetings thought I would post a picture of Arlene here, which I retreived off the web
site above.  It is unfortunate that there is no more informtion available, on every internet site the
information is the same, none other than what you have quote.  Not much to go on.

It is very difficult to hid a car, unless of course it went to a crusher or lies in the water somewhere.
I assume where she lives so close to the water re: Eastern Passage that the ocean in the area has been searched. 

Unlikely that she would have abandoned her son and taken off  but stranger things have happened, and without further information it is difficult to assume if her common law husband was the father of the child, and if not where the father of the child is, just thinking of suspects here.

The data on the web sites of missing persons gives no hint if she might be endangered or if she had cause to leave, an abusive relationship, seeing someone else.

Perhaps more information was released at the time of her disappearance, however I do not recall
anything in the news, well paper and radio, do not watch news on television, almost never.

Wish there is more to do, however unless someone comes forth with some additional information it
is unlikely Arlene's disappearance will be solved.  Perhaps someone will step up to the plate and offer some information to determine if she is a possible run away or if she met with foul play.

I am sorry for you lost, and although you state you were not good friends, it is nice to know you
are concerned....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 05:44:27 AM »
Based on the size of the reward, I sense the police believe foul play.

peripeteia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
Chris I believe you are correct because the case file says, leading to arrest and conviction
so law enforcement does not believe that she likely took off to Paris to take up art lessons.

The difficulty is that there is no information available to go on, and until someone goes digging
nothing will ever happen as it is alone time ago, and the area is somewhat transient due to the
military base.

Guess what is needed is for the media to go and have a chat with the son, with the common
law husband, and perhaps her family members. Also maybe her fellow employees where she worked,
someone knows something.  I think the place to start is at home, to find out if Arlene was having any
domestic problems, if she was seeing someone else.  It would be most helpful if the police were to state something like they have a person of interest, but what is now available to the public leaves the case
in Limbo, or pergatory...more likely the latter for her family and son.

Interested

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
Thank you very much Peripeteia for posting a picture of Arlene. I too feel the same. It has been so long and I was unaware that she was still missing until about a month ago....I was told through a mutual friend when it had first happened but did not hear anything more about it. I was very disappointed to hear that now 9 years later and there is still no sighting or no closure to her disappearance. I am unaware if there were any personal problems or even if there was someone else in her life. Unfortunately, I have no other information to provide.

It just so happened that I had visited this sight just after I was reminded of her disappearance and thought I could add this and hopefully would get some feedback, leads or even just to bring her name up so she is not forgotten. I am not sure if this sight is visited by anyone that is in any position to help with reopening cold cases or not......I agree that the commonn law husband and her child need to be interviewed again.....

Also, Chris,  I am thinking along the same line as you.....why the big reward?

Thanks and hopefully this will not be the end of this case.....

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
This is such a long time for Arlene to be missing. It sure sounds like a domestic crime here. Her car not being found and all and the common-law husband being the last one to see her. I always wonder why in the first stages of these investigations that they don't get a search warrant to go right in the home. I mean if there is any evidence, it should be right there. Maybe police did search the home, it has been quite a while and I don't remember any details about the case. There is a big reward and a person wonders why nobody came forward.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

super sleuth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
 :(  FYI Hi I just wanted to post on here that i know this family quite well.
 Yes indeed the common law husband  is the father of the child ,that was left motherless .The police did search the premises fully and they didn't require a search warrant....because the husband who called them in the first place gave them full access to the premises as he had nothing to hide.
 This is a very sad story with no closure ....a motherless child....a husband who lost the  woman, he loved.So please if you have any info that is helpful in this case...... come forward.

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:58:04 AM »
It says that she left in the family car which was never found...obviously she's in the water somewhere... And there was a lot of water not far from where she lived...maybe someone should check it out.

By the way, does anyone know her sons name?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:04:04 AM by Besani »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
strange nobody found her car yet .... Here is one of those moments most of us don't want to mention, but I just can't help it after that last comment.  When Arlene disappeared, I knew nothing of it until I read it here on this thread.  The odd thing is, the night before I read this, I dreamed I was in a green mid size vehicle alone driving along the water.  The water was to my right all along the way.  Suddenly, on a section that was curving sharply toward my left, I lost control, hit the edge of the pavement and went over an embankment into the water.  That was the end of my dream. 

When I sat down that morning and logged into this site, the first thing I noticed was this thread.  Being from NS, I naturally clicked on it right away.  I almost choked when I read my dream (from only hours earlier) now in black and white.  I'm not claiming to be psychic and God only knows who I may have been in that dream, but it was so vivid that I actually think I would still recognize the spot if I was driving along there.  God bless Arlene's precious soul ... and her family and friends.  Pray she will be located.

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
Perhaps, you could start from where she was last seen and use google street view, Lostlinganer.

Besani

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:29:14 AM »
It says she went missing along with her car...she didn't live that far away from a spot where she could have driven off the road into some water. I think someone should check it out because water would be the only thing that could fully hide a car for that many years!

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 05:19:32 AM »
There was a member on this forum that had zeroed in on a spot in the water here in Ontario, where he thought a vehicle was.  He even gave us the info on how to find it on our maps.  (My eyesight wasn't good enough to make it out)
My point is that it should be possible  for the 'experts' to see a foreign object (as big as a vehicle) in the water around Eastern Passage, especially in what looks to me to be shallower waters (eastern end).
In this day and age, they have technology on their side....no?

Besani

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:26 AM »
I don't trust technology.

The place she lived at the time she disappeared was a 6 minute drive away from the ocean...
I might just go for a drive and see if I can find something.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:27 AM »
Besani; I have the same urge.  I've goggled and actually been the little man, and walked from Arlene's home and then followed a shoreline for miles.... that being with the "shore on my right" as was in my dream!  But the trouble with that is the fact that one can't really see/appreciate if/where  there is enough of a drop, and enough water below, for her to disappear as she did in my dream.   maybe if I use the earth view as opposed to satellite view ?... I've tried zooming in from over head as well, but again, you can't appreciate the height of the embankments and cliffs from that overhead view.

I know I dreamed I was in her car, and I knew all the dashboard and controls - since I've been driving strictly Hyundai/s since 1992.... and the green color was more like blue green or an off green in my dream .... and it was half dark out... like just before dawn.

I too am now talking with my sister-in-law about making that drive this summer.  This is one that keeps nagging at me because of the dream.  ...plus there is an area in Antigonish/Pictou that I also need to settle my mind with. 

I think it will take hands on help to find Arlene's car and I do feel she went over an embankment for sure, but I haven't been able to remember in the dream if someone was driving too close to her causing it, or following to closely.... I just remember getting caught on the "shoulder" a losing it - going over a rocky treed embankment maybe 30 or more ...even 40 feet down.  ...then for me the Light's went out.... and I woke from the dream.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
This is the missing persons information off of the Halifax Police site.

Missing Persons Info
Arlene McLean

Incident #:
 07-47974   
Incident Date:
 September 8, 1999   
Date of Birth:
 May 12, 1971   

The Integrated HRP/RCMP Major Crime Unit is seeking the public's assistance in locating a missing Eastern Passage woman.

On September 8, 1999, at 8:30 p.m., Arlene McLean left her residence at 1 Melrose Place, Eastern Passage, N.S. in a 1993 four door green Hyundai Elantra bearing N.S. plate CMG-691. She has not been seen since and her vehicle has never been recovered. When Ms. McLean left she took only her purse and the clothes she was wearing. Ms. McLean left behind her eight- year-old son and her common-law husband. Arlene McLean is described as a Caucasian female, ht: 157 cm. (5'2"), wt: 061 kg.(135 lbs), brown hair and eyes, fair complexion.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Arlene McLean, or anyone who may have seen her is asked to call Police at 490-5016.

http://www.halifax.ca/police/MissingPersons/Info/McLeanArlene.html