Author Topic: Calvin Vanness, age 65, MISSING, Belleville, ON March, 2008  (Read 13238 times)

Have faith

• View Profile
Re: Calvin Vanness, age 65, MISSING, Belleville, ON March, 2008
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
quote amIam:  "Calvin VanNess did not live a high risk lifestyle".  Not too sure about that.  Quote OPP  (reply #15 link) "VANNESS was known to carry large sums of money and a quantity of marihuana with him".  (OPP don't know how to spell marijuana).

I get the impression that the Belleville Police put a great deal of effort into this case.  Correct me if I'm wrong amIam, since you seem to think differently and are more familiar with the case.

-not reported as missing for five days
-Belleville Police posted his case on their missing persons site
- located his car in 8 days
-canvassed the area where car was located
-numerous media updates and appeals to public
-posted a $10,000 reward
-conducted 100 interviews
-did aerial and ground searches
-held 3 press conferences with the family
-held a joint press conference with the OPP
-OPP contributed an addition $50,000

In this case LE are certain that there are people who know what happened to CV and the large reward can be seen as an attempt to "loosen lips".

Modified to add last sentence.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:51:16 AM by Have faith »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »
I hate to be such a grammar queen, but, marihuana is actually the correct/original way it was spelled.  ;)

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
jobo---LOL

I take back my comment re the OPP.  :-)

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
amIam: You seriously need to lighten up.  If we can't add a light comment every once in awhile, we are destined for burn out. imo  I don't need you to question my dedication to the cases on this forum.

Hf

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
amIam:  We work hard on this Website, and it is downright depressing somedays...what man can do to his fellow man.  We need to chuckle once in a while, and I thought by posting that comment, that is all that would happen.  A chuckle or two.

I kept my post short and funny so that I didn't take away from Mr.Vanness's story.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
Sorry but Mr. Vanness' case is one in number of missing/unsolved crimes of residents of the Belleville, Ontario area.
Calvin Vanness did not live a high risk lifestyle and should Belleville police  have actually paid attention and done their job at the onset, there would/could have been a resolution ..oddly enough this is par for the course re Belleville LE,  they couldn't catch a cold if they tried.
Sadly though Calvin Vanness was just your average person, with family much the same and having no pull within Belleville LE.  Typical of the area and so sad for Calvin's family.

I'm not sure what you are referring to above amIam. It appears that LE has "paid attention and done their job" in regard to the disappearance of Calvin Vanness.

from Have Faith:
not reported as missing for five days
-Belleville Police posted his case on their missing persons site
- located his car in 8 days
-canvassed the area where car was located
-numerous media updates and appeals to public
-posted a $10,000 reward
-conducted 100 interviews
-did aerial and ground searches
-held 3 press conferences with the family
-held a joint press conference with the OPP
-OPP contributed an addition $50,000

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Which one?  And spelling?  My good grief how important is this really in relation to Calvin Vanness' disappearance?

I'm not sure how this even became an issue seeing as you commented on it yourself.

from amIam:
I agree the OPP have  great short comings regarding grammar and spelling..doesn't read very professional now does it?  Not really surprising given Belleville Police services passing this info forward.

BCID

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »
http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2384937&archive=true

Vanness family can relate to Lloyds

FATHER MISSING

By W. BRICE MCVICAR THE INTELLIGENCER

Updated 1 year ago

As Jessica Lloyd's family anxiously awaits news on the missing 27-year-old, another local family is all too familiar with the emotional toll of a missing loved one.

Nearly two years after his disappearance, Calvin Vanness' family remains optimistic they will, one day, learn what happened to the Belleville man. Vanness, 65, was last heard from on March 26, 2008.

With Lloyd's disappearance grabbing headlines over the past few days, Vanness' son, Travis, said he can sympathize with her family.

"It's probably worse for them right now," Travis, 29, said. "They should have a lot of hope because it's been a few days. I really hope they find her."

While Lloyd's case has been prominent in the news and a Facebook group dedicated to finding her boasts more than 37,000 people, Vanness' case has faded from the public spotlight. Regardless, Belleville police have not declared the man's disappearance as a cold case and the detective investigating Vanness' disappearance, Peter Goulah, is in constant communication with the family.

"Peter's following up everything he gets and he's always letting us know what's happening," Travis said.

Goulah said he has remained focused on the Vanness disappearance since the spring of 2008 and is committed to the case. Approximately 100 people have been interviewed and new leads have trickled in over the past few months.

"We still don't have any idea where Calvin is. This has been classified as a missing person-homicide now for awhile because, under the circumstances, there's just been nothing on him," Goulah said.

Police have issued numerous pleas to the public for information into Vanness' disappearance and hunters, for the past two falls, have been asked to keep an eye out for remains while in wooded areas. A cash reward of $10,000 -- which remains active until July 15 -- has been offered for any information leading to an arrest in the case.

Tips have been generated, Goulah said, and he is still pursuing some information.

"My time has been spent on this case and, until I've exhausted all leads, that'll be my priority," he said. "For the last two years, I've kept in regular contact with his family and let them know we're still working on it. It hasn't been put on a shelf as a cold case because there's still more investigation to be done."

Anyone who may have information regarding Vanness' disappearance is asked to contact Det. Peter Goulah at 613-966-0882, ext. 2322 or Crime Stoppers at 613-969-8477.

bmcvicar@intelligencer.ca

http://www.kingstonthisweek.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2961040&archive=true

Police issue $60,000 reward in unsolved murder of Calvin Vanness

By KTW Staff

Posted 11 months ago

On March 26, 2008, 65-year-old Calvin Vanness, of Belleville, made plans to meet with his family later that day.

He never showed.

Five days later, when the family's attempts to locate him failed, they reported him missing to the Belleville Police Service.

At a news conference last week, Belleville Police issued a reward of $60,000 for information leading to the arrest and convictions of the person or persons responsible.

Police reveal that Vanness, who lived on Palmer Road in Belleville, was very close to his family. He was seen on the afternoon of March 26, 2008 driving his vehicle, a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, 4 door, grey with red flames on the side, in the Belleville area. It was located on April 1, 2008 at the Highway 38 car park in Kingston.

Vanness was known to carry large sums of money and a quantity of marijuana with him.

In April 2010, investigative information led the Belleville Police Service to contact the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and a joint investigation under the Major Case Management system was initiated, led by OPP Criminal Investigation Branch.

Officers have determined that Vanness has not accessed any of his bank accounts since his disappearance.

Information gathered to date by investigators has led them to believe that the disappearance is as a result of a homicide. Various areas of interest have been searched, but police have not located his body, nor has anyone been charged.

The joint investigative team believe that someone can provide information that would lead to solving this crime.

The Government of Ontario is offering a $50,000 reward and the City of Belleville is offering a further $10,000 reward.

Anyone having information about the disappearance and murder of Calvin Vanness is asked to call the Belleville Police Service at 613-966-0882, or the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.

Should you wish to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.

york3404

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
I am not entirely convience that Mr Vaness drove to Kingston. If you copy and past the link in your search bar, he would have had to drive almost twice the distance by coming to Kingston on route to his brother. I also find it hard to believe that Mr. Vaness drove Kingston himself,  because I am sure he would have mentioned something about being on his way, but first having to stop in Kingston.Or if he was planning on stopping to see a friend he would have mentioned having to make some kind of stop before leaving.
I wonder if the police measured the driver seat potion to his hight and weight to determine weather Mr. Vaness drove to Kingston or his someone ditched his car here in Kingston. Which could suggest the person associated with Vaness would have some sort of connection to Kingston. 
I also see that his route from Bellville to Arden without stopping in Kingston would have taken him right through Tweed, and this would have been the same time police were looking for Jessica Lloyd. Could Mr Vaness got into trouble driving through Tweed?. He perhaps could have seen something since he would have knowen that everyone was looking for Jessica.

Its only a suggestion but it seems to odd not to mention coming to Kingston before going to Arden ,as it would have only taken 1 hour and 20min going straight from Bellville ,but 2 hours and 17min by going to Kingston first. Since he made the effort to call his brother why would he mention it was going to take him twice the time since he was planning on coming to Kingston?.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Arden,+ON,+Canada&daddr=belleville,+ON,+Canada&hl=en&ll=44.314023,-77.016907&spn=1.243974,1.216736&sll=44.162759,-77.383232&sspn=0.623597,0.608368&geocode=FWRhqgIdVjxq-yknRpSwr-LSTDEZ26K2NWrjXg%3BFcfeoQIdwDlj-ylJr3WUlSjWiTEwFyPHKHsDBQ&oq=Arden+On&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
Taken from news article from reply #27.

"Vanness was known to carry large sums of money and a quantity of marijuana with him"

I think there is a great big clue - right there!

jb.

york3404

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
I certaintly understand your point JB about the large amounts of cash and pot that Clavin would carry. However from what I understand from police reports he wasn't known to be involved in violent situations. If Calvin had been they certainly would have made some sort of referance about his violent past and being involved with police regularly.They would also know someone they expect to be involved with Calvin as police continue to monitor people known to carry drugs.  I do know a couple older people that have been in that kind of life style since being young teens. These people are well rehurst in that life style and I would find it hard to believe that some kind of violent crime against him happend in a city enviroment like Bellville or Kingston without anyone seeing/hearing anything in broad day light.  When the police place a $50,000 reward on someone I find it hard to believe no one knowing something wouldn't come forward as police have means to protect people with that kind of information.  $50,000 is more then any of those people would get from living on welfare and a lot less risk to obtain that kind of money with protective custody. I get its a high risk life style but I think someone Calvins age would have known extermly well how to protect himsel.If Calvin was going to go down, he certainly would have done so by putting up one hell of a fight.  Especially if drugs were his life he would have had a well establish gang/group of people that would be on his side. By now there would have been some kind of gang rivery as these people draw their own conclusions and they would want to retaliate on Calvins behalf.  They would not care if they drew up there own conculsions and hurt an innocent rivery drug gang. I don't believe someon with Calvins ties would have him just vanish and leave his car in an easy find place when there are so so  so many places in this area to dump a car in waters and police never find it.

Example would be David Hannah this man was well rehurst in criminals working as a max pen prision guard. However with his skills and knowledge NO ONE has ever found his car or know what happend to him. This is because whoever is in involve with Hannah was a career criminal and knew there best chances of getting away free, was to get rid of anything associated with him including his car.   Criminals usually burn out a car, ditch a car so it can never be found(usually water), or they take it to a chop shop and have the car altered in just a few hours. I rarely hear of them just parking a car at a car pool and hoping not to be linked to it.  Especially with the police technology these days it only takes the smallest about of blood, hair,spit and other body fluids to link someone.  I would think this person wasn't a career criminal as criminals are there own family , and they would have had others to help ensure there was no trace of their involment. Cleaning a car of course dosen't work as police would have know right away Calvins car was recently cleaned, and this would have caused them to tear the car apart looking for something the cleaner missed.