Author Topic: LIFE for Death of Phoenix Sinclair:::  (Read 5180 times)

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
LIFE for Death of Phoenix Sinclair:::
« on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »
The long, lingering death of this child started a few years ago. No one saw? No one suspected anything? Where the hell were the Social Services???  Didn't they have people over? AND NO ONE SAW?????

I have been avoiding this story, as I wept everytime I read about it.What the hell were the parents doing? If they didn't want Phoenix, I am sure other relatives would have stepped in!!

Can anyone here, explain to me, how this horrific, sickening abuse went on for so long, and NO ONE SAW???? :'( :'( R. I. P.  Little One...Phoenix (hugs)' and I just know you are a shining star, and with the Creator...

By CHINTA PUXLEY, The Canadian Press

WINNIPEG ? Three years after being shot with a pellet gun ?just for the hell of it,? beaten repeatedly with a metal rod and left to die naked on a cold basement floor by her mother and stepfather, little Phoenix Sinclair can finally be laid to rest by those who loved her.

Samantha Kematch and Karl McKay were found guilty of first-degree murder Friday, bringing one chapter of Phoenix?s short and brutal life to a close.

While Phoenix?s caregivers have been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years, the broader soul-searching has just begun into how a provincial system could have let her down.

Her death at the hands of those who were supposed to protect her from harm will eventually be the subject of a public inquiry that will delve into Manitoba?s child welfare system. Phoenix was in foster care and returned to Kematch in 2004. She was dead for nine months before anyone noticed her missing.

The abuse she suffered in her five years was so horrific, many say justice can never be done for Phoenix.

Steve Sinclair, Phoenix?s biological father, said his daughter ?never knew what pain was? when she was with him. Knowing ?the complete opposite was done to her? while in the care of her mother tears him up inside, he said in a victim statement read in court.

?My family will never let go of this,? he wrote. ?Everyone that met Phoenix loved her. She loved life and the people she met. We have not been able to lay her to rest peacefully.

?They say time heals all things. I hope to believe that some day.?

By all accounts, little Phoenix was a happy child before the torment began ? a chubby girl with a full head of jet black hair and eyes so deep ?you could not see to her soul.?

?She was a gift sent to me from the heavens,? Kim Edwards, Phoenix?s foster mother, told court. ?She had a smile that lit up the room and such infectious laughter.?

The suffering began shortly after she was returned to the custody of Kematch and McKay in Winnipeg, court heard. She was locked in her bedroom for long periods of time.

The abuse got worse when the family moved about 150 kilometres north to the Fisher River reserve. The chubby, smiley child became gaunt from starvation. Her head was shaved. Bruises and cuts appeared on her legs, head and face.

Court heard how she was never taken to the doctor or even hugged.

Phoenix?s stepbrothers testified the girl was punched, kicked and shot with a pellet gun while her guardians laughed. At times, she was forced to eat her own vomit.

She often went days without clothes, was choked until she lost consciousness in a game called ?chicken? and was confined to a makeshift pen in the basement.

The little compassion shown to Phoenix came from her stepbrothers, who often heard her weeping in the basement through the vents. They tried to turn up the heat in the cold basement where she spent many nights and quietly tried to sneak her food because they never saw her eat.

After a final assault in June 2005, the little girl died naked on the basement floor. Kematch and McKay wrapped her body in garbage bags and buried her in a shallow grave just past a garbage dump.

?We were scared,? McKay told an RCMP officer in March 2006. ?I didn?t know what the hell to do.?

An anthropologist testified Phoenix had broken bones from her pelvis to her skull, injuries consistent with a car accident.

Hilda McKay, Karl?s sister, said justice is not possible.

?I?m happy and I?m also kind of just sad ? sad for Phoenix but happy that they?re getting what they are deserving,? she said outside court. ?Justice is never going to be done for this little girl. Too much happened to her.

?It shouldn?t have happened to her. Everybody knows that. It shouldn?t happen to any little child.?

Defence lawyers never denied the abuse. They admitted that Kematch and McKay were ?horrific and cruel? parents, but argued there was only enough evidence to convict them of manslaughter. The separate defence teams also blamed each other?s client for the final blow that is believed to have killed Phoenix.

Lawyers for both wouldn?t say yet whether they are considering an appeal.

The public inquiry is slated to begin after any appeals are dealt with.

In early 2005, a child welfare worker went to check on the family at a Winnipeg apartment. The worker never saw Phoenix, but noticed another of Kematch?s children outside the building and decided everything was OK.

Three months later, Phoenix was dead.

Kematch and McKay continued to list Phoenix as a dependant when they applied for welfare payments. Her death eventually came to light when welfare workers insisted on a meeting and Kematch tried to pass off a much younger child as Phoenix.

?If it takes a village to raise a child, what the heck happened to this village called Manitoba, where a child could go missing ... for nine months without anyone knowing?? Family Services Minister Gord Mackintosh asked Friday.

Kematch was defiant until the end, telling the court she loved the little girl no matter what others think.

?I loved Phoenix. Everyone can say what they want to say, call me whatever they want,? Kematch said just before her sentence was handed down. ?I never did this and I know that Phoenix knows that. I can say sorry to everybody but I know that won?t change anything.?

McKay, who along with Kematch had shown no emotion when the verdict was read, was too overcome to read his statement. His lawyer Mike Cook did so for him.

?I?m truly sorry from my heart,? McKay wrote. ?I know this should not have happened. That young girl was full of life . . . I let everybody down. Phoenix, I know you can hear me. I?m so very sorry. Please forgive me.?

With the trial over, the remains of Phoenix, who would now be in Grade 2 today, will be released. Edwards said the little girl?s loved ones are looking forward to finally laying her to rest.

?Once we get Phoenix back and her remains are given a proper burial, this part will be over for us and we?ve seen justice.?

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: LIFE for Death of Phoenix Sinclair:::
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »
 :'( :'( Reading this, is one of the hardest things I have done in awhile.. My heart is just shattered..How in the hell, could anyone do this to a child.. This "mother & step father" are monsters. I don't understand how this child could be dead for 9 months, and no one knew.. Where was the birth father??  Did that social worker not read the file before she went for a visit there? did she not think to ask the kids questions?? why did the brothers not say anything?? did they abuse the other children as well, or just her?? why was she in foster care in the first place??
sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years, they should be kept there for life, and tortured the way they did her. not be given  chance for parole after 25 years..I am just so angry after reading this..

R.I.P. sweet little Phoenix, you are truly in a better place.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »
Phoenix is one of the hardest entries I have had to do on  my website.  Bless this little child who never had a chance and big time hex on those who allowed her to return to her abusive home.May those responsible rot in prison. I hope they live a LONG LONG life.. in a teeny little cell and go nuts.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »
WINNIPEG -- A man convicted in one of Manitoba's most notorious child killings is to be returned to the province to face charges relating to the sexual assault of a young girl nearly 15 years ago, the Winnipeg Sun has learned.

Karl Wesley McKay is the subject of an arrest warrant for sexual assault and uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, criminal court documents obtained by the Sun state.

McKay and Samantha Kematch were convicted of first-degree murder in 2008 in the death of five-year-old Phoenix Sinclair, Kematch's biological daughter. McKay is Kematch's former common-law husband.

McKay, 49, is currently being held in prison in Alberta, serving a mandatory sentence of life with no chance of parole for 25 years.

This week, Judge Donald Bryk approved an order directing McKay to be returned under guard to a prison in Manitoba.

A police source said the probe began in late March after a former girlfriend of McKay's alleged her daughter was sexually abused when the girl was just seven years old.

Police have also interviewed the alleged victim, now 21. She was in jail at the time police spoke to her, the source said.

The source described the incident as a "major sexual assault" that allegedly occurred between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 1997.

McKay is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

He will return to the province as the public inquiry into Phoenix Sinclair's death builds up steam towards public hearings anticipated next summer.

Phoenix was a ward of Child and Family Services for much of her short life until Kematch regained custody of the girl less than a year before her death on Fisher River First Nation in June 2005.

During that time, Phoenix was subjected to horrifying abuse. Court heard Kematch and McKay routinely beat the girl with their fists, their feet or a metal bar, forced her to eat her own vomit and confined her to a cold, barren basement.

When Phoenix finally succumbed to the abuse, the couple buried her body deep in the bush in an unmarked grave. They continued to collect welfare benefits in the girl's name and tried to pass off another girl as Phoenix to a social worker.

It was McKay who led RCMP to the remote area where she was buried.

SAP

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
The inquiry into little Phoenix's death will finally go ahead, after years of wrangling by those who wanted non disclosure. There is a lesson to be learned here and it needs publicity.

RIP little angel Phoenix. My heart breaks for you and the unimaginable torment you lived through for 5 years.  :'( How any human can do this to anyone, let alone a child, is beyond me. These perps should never be out in society again! 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/09/04/mb-phoenix-sinclair-inquiry.html

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
heart breaking, in my opinion the justice system needs to start smartening up and start laying charges against the child welfare agency involved as well.  They are guilty of manslaughter in my opinion, because they failed to protect this little angel and fail to esure she was fed and cared for.  They are as guilty as the mother and stepfather in my eyes.  She was under their jurisdiction and they failed her .  RIP little angel.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:09:27 AM »
Wait, am I missing something here?

Why aren't the social workers on the reserve being questioned?

Once a status First Nations family goes to a reserve, provincial child welfare authorities have no jurisdiction on anything.  Federal law dictates that once a status family gets to the reserve, provincial child welfare authorities are mandated to step out.

It's odd to me that everyone BUT the reserve workers are being questioned.  This was going on right in front of them.  Looks like the feds are desperately trying to cover up a failed system they themselves put into place. 

Further to this, some people just should not be allowed to breed.  This is a case for forced sterilization- and I don't care who calls me a fascist- I have seen too many people in my work who should never have reproduced.

SAP

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
I hear you Cana. That sounds about right. An ex-colleague works in a situation which is under the Feds and she has 5 or 6 support workers from the reserve. The support work is open only to reserve persons. They get paid but they never show up for work. She can't do a thing about it b/c head office doesn't want to hear that. As far as they are concerned these people are 'working" on "paper" and that's all they want to know. She can't fire or rehire. Could be the same with their social workers.
As far as sterilizations ... I can't help but agree. I know so many people who wanted children so badly and were unable to, and then you have the fertile Myrtle's whose babies ... that if they are lucky will be in the hospitals continuously and at least being cared for and fed.
Animals get better consideration than children do. When I lived in the north, my neighbors split and the wife was stuck with the dogs. She abandoned the dogs and I notified the landlord as every time they came around, the dogs were running loose but would return at night. The dogs were finally captured and taken to a shelter and a fine imposed on the owner plus she will never be allowed to have any pets again. Something is terribly wrong with the system. Don't get me wrong ... I care about rescue animals too but these innocent precious little children keep getting put back into the same surroundings where they were hurt b/c SS think the children are best off with bio parents.