Author Topic: Beverly Smith (22) - Dec 9, 1974 - Age 22 - Murdered - Durham  (Read 31578 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Sorry, I should have been on top of this.  Yes, he did make bail.

From newsdurhamregion.com:

http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/northumberland/article/97911

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHITBY -- Alan Smith has been granted bail while he awaits trial on a charge of second degree murder in connection with the death of Beverly Smith 33 years ago.

The decision at Superior court in Whitby Monday afternoon comes six weeks after the charge was laid.

Mr. Smith, 56, and no relation to the victim, was arrested at his home in Cobourg on March 18, 2008.

Terms of his release include that he live with his daughter in a home outside Grafton. Bail was set at $80.000.

Beverly Smith was 22 years old when she was shot once in the back of the head and left to die on her kitchen floor in Raglan (north Oshawa) on Dec. 9, 1974.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
At least they took cash from him. I just hope he does not go into hiding. I have a feeling they will try to plead this case out.

Fraser

• View Profile
Yes Adrian...I know how you feel. Although I don't live in the inner city, when I was younger a good friend married a man, Jonathon Yeo,  who eventually (could have been at the time) became a serial rapist and killer. He victimized mostly strangers but he did attack at least one of their relatives who the family shut up by threatening to go to the police about her drug use. Along with your theories about racism, there was some speculation that part of the reason the family was willing to do this was because she was adopted and native. Ironically, the psychologists blamed some of Jon's behaviours on the fact that he was biracial and adopted into a white family.
My friend had changed greatly from the girl I knew when we were in our late teens...she insisted on defending him. I suspect a lot of that was to protect their young children. There was a book written about the case called "Fatal Mistakes". There were a lot of legal mistakes made before he killed anyone that prevented him being put away long before the murders.

I am sure had DNA existed at the time of many of his attacks there would have been a lot less victims and perhaps two young women would be alive today.

Im_new_here2

Your welcome ohna..i dont mind sharing a personal story to let people know a little more about how there collecting DNA .Who ever said theres alot of murder'ers and tapist out there just waiting for police to knock on there door from there crime they committed before DNA was around and since the crime have had a DWI or like me an assault because if they did any petty crimes cops will have there DNA now and if the cold case squad resumes some crimes theres a great chance of finding a killer from hes DNA being in codis because of some stupid petty crime he committed when he was drunk..As far as people saying its to intrusive i really hope u dont have a famillly member go missing because youll think differentlly then..im all for giving dna as soon as your born i have a 5 year old daughter and she is the reason i get up and breathe every day i could not live with out her and we have dont the complete police kit finget prints DNA  and i took her last summer and she actuallly loved it seeing the police she wanted to see where they put the bad guys.lol it was one question after another to the officer and he was so nice as my daughter kept saying um exscuse me can i tell you a question.LOL that is how she says it ..So for me and my thoughts anything to help if something ever happen thats the way i would want it to go ..its all J,M,O THOUGH...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
One day this DNA will be so quick, so easy, and much more advanced. IN fact, soon, they will be able to take a sample of the air at a crime scene and be able to compare scents. We each have a unique oder too (My wife tells me this sometimes too).

Yes, I am certain there are a lot of people out there just waiting for the day the police come. I read once murderers often feel relieved when busted, i guess the worry is harder then doing the time.

Shwa

• View Profile
Wife of accused arrested
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile

Thanks for sharing that story Ohna, ! What a horrible thing to go through. We never know, do we?

It sure took a while on the Smith case, and I believe still questions?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Wow, what a turn of events. Wonder if the lying was done back then. How could a wife help cover up for a murdering husband?

Shwa

• View Profile
"How could a wife help cover up for a murdering husband?"

Likely the same way that a wife could stay with an abusive husband - by threats of violence to their person, children, reputation, etc. even though the two are now separated.  Then again, it might have been her that turned him in and did so knowing she would also face charges.

Few details yet, but I am sure they will eventually get out.

Fraser

• View Profile
My friend covered for her husband, Jonathon Yeo, for many years and, from what I have heard, continues to defend him and has lost contact with her own family because of it.He killed himself when he was on the verge of being captured by the police. He had murdered two young women (the most well-known case being Nina Devilliers, whose mother ended up founding CAVEAT) and raped many others. There was no way she was afraid of him. She was a very strong woman physically and confidence-wise. I think a big part of the reason she covered for him was to protect the children. How do you tell your children, who were all 7 and under when he died, that their daddy was a serial killer and rapis?..maybe you don't, maybe you get through it by telling them and yourself that he was sick and misunderstood. Which, personally, I don't accept as an excuse...if your are aware enough to hide the evidence of your crimes then you knew exactly what you were doing.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
There have been cases of people trying to protect and cover even for strangers. For instance take the case of Elizabeth Smart,one of the police officers that found Elizabeth Smart said in an interview that I saw that Elizabeth had been totally concerned and upset when she was rescued, sobbing and asking repeatedly what was going to happen to her abductors. Also I read the book " I think my name is Stephen ". I don't remember this boys last name off the top of my head but he was abducted on his way home from school and held for years before escaping. He had freedom and even attended public school at times but never tried to escape. He finally did but only after his captor took a new very young victim. The boy cried for his mother and made Stephen relive the nightmare of his own capture and he said he couldn't stand it for the sake of the young boy. These two as well as others had become so dependent on their captors for everything they had that they had formed a sort of bond which I have read is not uncommon. Those of us that have been abused in our lives know how our abusers try to make us very dependent on them while isolating us from others.It doesn't surprise me at all that she tried to protect her husband maybe partly out of fear, maybe because of all those poor kids but mostly I believe out of some twisted type of loyalty that grows in these sick and dependant relationships.By the way it doesn't matter how strong or self confident you are you can still be abused and afraid.

Fraser

• View Profile
"By the way it doesn't matter how strong or self confident you are you can still be abused and afraid. " With my friend, the inquest and book written later concluded that part of the attraction for Jon to her was that she had a somewhat domineering personality. I knew this girl, and I  spoke to her the day or two after he killed himself...she was by no means afraid of him...she just kept making excuses for him. At the time I didn't know anything about the case so I was accepting what she said. I have since learned how much she enabling she was to his crimes. I don't believe she was ever afraid of him at all and the inquest concluded that. I am convinced that she was and still is trying to protect the kids emotionally but also, to admit that he was basically, bad, also means she has to accept that she was wrong in accepting what he was doing and that in a way, she was also guilty in these crimes.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
 Part of the attraction my husband had to me at first was because he admired my independent spirit and the fact that I would stand up to him where others would not. That was at first, then he spent the next twelve years making sure that he tried to intimidate and  beat it out of me. In the end I was not the person that I had started out being but I may have been the only one to know that as my own mother asked me once why a person who was so head strong and independent was putting up with the crap. Looks can be deceiving from the outside. She didn't know what was on the inside of me and how could I have expected her to? She had never walked in my shoes. Abuse is a silent crime and what goes on behind closed doors sometimes stays there. Only someone who has truly been abused can ever understand it. Ask any abuse survivor.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:19:35 PM by debbiec »

Fraser

• View Profile
Yes Debbie, I understand, as a survivor of severe child abuse and psychological abuse as an adult, I know how it feels to lose your "self".

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Part of the attraction my husband had to me at first was because he admired my independent spirit and the fact that I would stand up to him where others would not. That was at first, then he spent the next twelve years making sure that he tried to intimidate and  beat it out of me. In the end I was not the person that I had started out being but I may have been the only one to know that as my own mother asked me once why a person who was so head strong and independent was putting up with the crap. Looks can be deceiving from the outside. She didn't know what was on the inside of me and how could I have expected her to? She had never walked in my shoes. Abuse is a silent crime and what goes on behind closed doors sometimes stays there. Only someone who has truly been abused can ever understand it. Ask any abuse survivor.

I agree that only someone who has been adbused can know. I never was, but have seen the damage myself. I am so glad you got away. It must have been the most emotionaly exhausting thing you have ever done. Good for you for having the strenght and courage.