Author Topic: Missing elderly male - circa 1990's  (Read 3302 times)

BC Ident

Missing elderly male - circa 1990's
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »
I apologize once again for not having a name to this case.

I read this as a cold case in one of the local newsapapers (perhaps published by Camosun College) in the 1990's sometime after 1996.

It was a elderly gentleman who was in his 80's or perhaps even 90's. He was a large land-owner and he left his large property to the Interurban campus of Camosun College. The property was actually next to Camosun (I believe it involved the marshland area).

Part of the agreement was Camosun would get a large area of land on the condition the owner was allowed to live out the rest of his days on the property. It was agreed and the gentleman lived out of a small shack or cabin near Interurban Camosun.

One day the man just disappeared and was not seen again. It was believed by some locals that he wandered away to die somewhere in the area. Finding his body would have proved difficult with the amount of wooded area and marshlands. At the time of the article, no trace of the man was found and the search was long given up and considered cold.

Does this ring abell for anyone? Does anyone have more info on this case?

bella

• View Profile
Re: Missing elderly male - circa 1990's
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

This man's last name was Vandermeer. Spelling may be wrong. He lived in Metchosin. I lived out there as a child.He used to own a zoo of sorts.The property is off Kangaroo rd.I don't think he was ever found.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:06:36 PM »
Sort of weird this case is not well known. He seemed like a bit of a interesting sort that probably made him a target.

BCID

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »
Thanks. That is great. I remember this case and I was actually doing patrols up there at one point hoping I wouldn't come across his remains but at the same time thinking "wouldn't it be nice if the man's remains could be found and buried properly".

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
What I don't understand is, was he living alone at that age. And if he was the owner of such a large amount of poverty, he certainly would not have to live in a shack. He could have been living quite well, because he owned the property. Well it sure sounds like someone could not wait for to claim the property. He could have been a victim of foul play, there was a motive. I never heard of this case either. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

BCID

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
Actually Capeheart, from what I read, the property was already owned by the Camosun College Interurban campus. He had donated the property to them with the agreement that he could live the remaining years of his life out on the site in a small shack.

From what was told, he disappeared one night. Locals think he wandered off to die. He was in his 90's I think (or at least 80's).

His behaviour wasn't rare. I have known or seen many people who were millionaires but lived out an existance like they were from lower class. I knew a man in his late 30'swho was a millionaire but he drove around in an old beat up late 70's Buick and dressed like a construction worker. I know a elderly female millionaire at this moment who uses HandyDart (short bus for the elderly, physically and mentally challenged) to get herself from place to place rather than a cab. I also knew a man two decades ago who panhandled yet he owned his own small island with a house on it. For Victoria and surrounding areas, it's normal.

Ask anyone who lives in the area near Camsoun Interurban what old man MacNutt was like and they'll paint you a clearer picture of the odd and interesting personalities of old Victoria.