Author Topic: 1959-00-00, HAMILTON, William "Bill" James Lawrence - missing  (Read 13910 times)

BC Ident

1959-00-00, HAMILTON, William "Bill" James Lawrence - missing
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:02:52 AM »
William James Lawrence Hamilton

Also Known As: "Bill" Hamilton

Date of Disappearnce: 1959-60

Location of Disappearnce: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Birth Date: July 25, 1935

Age at Time of Disappearnce: 24 - 25 years old

Height & Weight at Time of Disappearnce: 6'2"

Description: Caucasian male, blue eyes, reddish blond wavy hair, slim build, fair skin. He wears eyeglasses.

Medical File

Medical Report: William wears eyeglasses. He had previously broken his leg while in senior high school but it is unknown at this time which one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case Details

Hamilton disappeared after he rented a boat and went on a fishing trip. The RCMP later found the boat floating empty in the water. Hamilton did not attend his fathers funeral in August of 1960, and no family members have heard from him again.

Before his disappearnce, the last contact with his family was a letter to his wife. The return address on the enevelope read "General Delivery, Victoria, B.C."

A missing person report was made sometime after his disappearance, however the police do not keep missing person files that old.

It is believed Hamilton drowned but it is also believed he may have disappeared from his family to avoid being a burden on them. He was facing financial difficulty at the time and he had recently seperated from his wife who took custody of their children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background Information

William James Lawrence Hamilton was raised on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia but later moved to Victoria where he attended and graduated the infamous foundation "Victoria High School" during the years 1950 - 53. While there he was a commentator for Victoria High's basketball home games and helped out behind-the-scenes in the school operettas.

During '53, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and served with them until 1958. One of the bases William served on was RCAF Station Trenton in Trenton, Ontario (now Canadian Forces Base Trenton). He was also stationed in Toronto, Ontario.

He was married in July 1955 in Toronto, Ontario.

William is an avid sports fisherman and an experienced boater.

In November 1958, William and his family relocated from Trenton, Ontario to Victoria, British Columbia.

In May 1959, William worked on a commercial fishing boat that travelled up the west coast of British Columbia.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:04:40 AM by BC Ident »

BC Ident

Re: 1959-00-00, Hamilton, William "Bill" James Lawrence - missing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:03:37 AM »
A website run by his daughter Deborah:

http://groups.msn.com/MissingPersonsPage/p...llhamilton.msnw

A beautiful touching Youtube video by Deborah about the search for her father William James Lawrence Hamilton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDkg-M5luw

"Please view the following video about my missing father. Time is passing, people are getting older and time is ticking. I fear, after all these years, I may never find out the truth behind my fathers disappearance."

Deb

billsdaughter

• Searching For Bill Hamilton who disappeared 1958.
    • View Profile
Re: 1959-00-00, HAMILTON, William "Bill" James Lawrence - missing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
Hello
Hello.  This is Deborah.  The video url has changed, it is now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFN9S2xCO_M
I had removed it, and given up my search, closed down  the sites and blogs I had going for him.
But after a while I felt it did no harm to keep the video up, giving up is no way to find out anything.  Just gets weary sometimes and seems futile.  But, it is back up now, please pass the link onto anyone at all, the more people see it, the better chance of learning something.

Thought for a few exciting days I may have found the answer.  Someone did contact me, who had been watching the video for some time, wondering if it was a Bill Hamilton she knew in a seniors home, who passed away.  She thought he looked like my father, and he was 6 ft 2 and had the same glasses and everything. Talking, we both really thought it could be the same Bill Hamilton.

Unfortunately, the fellows death certificate showed he was much older than Bill.  It was spooky the similarities though, the fishing, the mysterious past, no family, nobody knew where he was from.

Thank-you for posting this thread, and for anyone who takes the time to check the video out. 
I do not know what Bill would look like now, as opposed to how he looked back then, if he is alive somewhere.
Hoping still someone will see the video, who knew him at some point in his life, and make contact.
Any tidbits of information are of interest to me.  Everything I know of him is based on the past, as I was too young to have many memories.
I wish I knew what happened, if he did drown, if so, was it by accident?  Or something more sinister?
It is hard to only know he vanished, and nothing else.
It is Bill's birthday on July 25th.  If alive, he would be turning 74.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFN9S2xCO_M[/youtube][/size][/size]
[/color]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:43:13 PM by billsdaughter »

Sleuth

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:04:11 AM »
Such a long time has elapsed Deborah, and I admire your inner strength in not giving up on finding your father or what happened to him. To grow up with a missing father somewhere out there is, emotionally and mentally very hard. I wish you all the best in your search. Never give up!

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:13 AM »
Thank-you. :)

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »
Just thought I'd check in.   :)

Sleuth

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »
Hi Deborah! How are you? I have a question for you. Do you know the day and time when your father was last seen?

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »
Good Afternoon Sleuth
No, I don't even know the month for sure.  The last "evidence" I have of his whereabouts is a letter where my mother says he is on the fishing trip.  That was dated  August, 1958.
 But I know she received one letter from him afterwards.  She didn't keep it, and she cannot remember the date, but it was probably fairly shortly afterwards.
 He was declared" legally dead" in 1965, so she could re marry.
The military told me legally dead is only a legal term meaning he has not been seen or heard from in 5 years and they do not consider it the same as a death registration or certificate.  They are the ones who started me wondering, could he possibly be alive?
Although they also told me his records were undisturbed\bed for 40 years, until my inquiry.
An old timer in the area told me he had been seen fishing on the Frasier River by one of his uncles friends, also a rumor he had jumped off Vancouver's  Lionsgate Bridge.  But there is nothing to back it up, and the person who told the person who told me, is long time deceased.

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
Hello.  Just thought I would stop in and say I have not found any new information. 
Yet!
I did make a facebook profile for Bill, hoping he or perhaps an old friend of his would do a search.

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »
I watched the video that billsdaughter posted on Youtube and when I looked to the right side there is another Bill Hamilton on Youtube.
I sent billsdaughter a PM about the other Bill Hamilton who looks a lot like an older version of the one posted in the video.
He is a writer in Phoenix, AZ facial features are very similar, what do others think?

I did a google search and found he goes by William H. Hamilton III and also William F. Hamilton?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1JpE3UMWU&feature=related

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2166967237052946387

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:54:32 AM by Trouble445 »

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
Trouble, I think anything is possible, and it's great that you sent a pm to daughter.  I hope she will let us know the outcome.

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
Thanks so much for your message and for looking around for Bill.  Although I did e-mail that same Bill Hamilton that  you  have found, several years ago, it was not he himself who replied, but someone connected with the website I found the address on.  They assured me it was not the same guy.  However, I just sent off an e-mail to the email address on the page you linked me too.
I will let you know how it goes.
I realize if someone starts a new life, they may invent a past.   My father was Canadian, and this Bill Hamilton appears to be American.  But I don't think it hurts to overlook that and to ask anyways.
Thanks again, I appreciate your help! :)

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 11:02:32 PM »
billsdaughter,
after watching the video's it appears that his past history that he gives in interviews starts at around 1958-1959 when he claims he joined the Airforce in USA. (other reports state it was 1961 to 65 time frame that he was in the Air Force (USAF Security Service.) His past history does seem strange and  murky.
Wasn't your Dad in Canadian Airforce prior to that?
In one interview he said in the 70's he lived in and ran a rooming house in Los Angeles CA and had a wife who has since passed away (Pamela Hamilton).
He did live at some point in Las Vegas I believe but the last address I found was Phoenix, AZ.
He claims he is William (?) Hamilton III? He does use several different middle initials, I saw H. and F. in his name at various points on his books?
Alien Magic  by William H. Hamilton III
Martians Among Us By William F. Hamilton III
I have found several photos of him over the years and the resemblance is uncanny. He does wear glasses and the same type of frames as shown in  your father's picture. He seems kinda out there with this UFO business and some have called him a fraud and scam artist on another website I read.
I don't know if this is the same guy but again the resemblance is there, also he would be around the right age as well.
Worth checking into further I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:20:31 AM by Trouble445 »

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:18 AM »
Hello

Well, the e-mail I sent him bounced.
My father was in the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1953-1958.
My mother said the his head was shaped very much like the actor Ted Danson, you know the fellow that played Sam Malone on Cheers?
I don't know how to make those pics smaller, sorry they are so big.
She said his head was that squarish shape.  He had blue eyes and curly reddish blond hair, I assume will be grey or white now.
Well, he is most likely dead, but I would like to know and I would like to know what happened. 
Thank-you for your interest.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:14:15 AM by billsdaughter »

billsdaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 01:29:49 AM »
Hello
Well, here it is, 2013.  I imagine that Bill never knew that there would someone wondering what happened to him, so many years later.
My brother did DNA testing for genealogy,  and we have a lot of matches.  5th cousins type of matches, and more distant.
I secretly was hoping this DNA  genealogy testing would produce a long lost, unknown sibling, or niece or nephew
Happy New Year everyone, may this year bring the answers  you seek.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:25:01 PM by billsdaughter »