Author Topic: Victoria Murder...George ?  (Read 2983 times)

• View Profile
Victoria Murder...George ?
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
I recall growing up in Victoria in the 60's/70's, and there was a murder in the mid-60's:
a young fellow was found beaten to death in the old Hudson Bay parking lot. I believe his name was George ??, or ???
Can anyone shed any light on this? And did they ever find the murderer?

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Murder...George ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
I cannot seem to find anything about it. Could be a case of the police know who did it, but died or something and have forgetton about it.

Re: Victoria Murder...George ?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
Yes, the Hudson's Bay Company parking lot was a somewhat scary place at night. I am guessing the murder happened late at night when the business was closed?

The parking lot has like 3-4 levels and was dimly lit at night. Homeless people used to break the lights near the stairwells and sleep in there. The stairwells weren't enclosed but it was out of the direction of any wind.

The place is located (for those who don't live here) at the corner of Douglas St. and Fisgard. It's one block up from the gates of Chinatown and 2-3 minutes walk from the centre of downtown. Douglas st. has been for decades the main traffic route into the downtown district.

The Bay has been closed now for years and is under renovations to become a new downtown living space. The parkade behind the building still remains intact. The bay was a huge department store and the building itself dates back to the 1800's.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:40:01 AM by BCID »