Author Topic: Amber Carrie Potts-Jaffary - December 5, 1988 - Age 16 - Missing - Etobicoke  (Read 32457 times)

Woodland

• View Profile
It came to my attention yesterday that 16 year-old Amber Carrie Potts-Jaffary - who went missing from Rabbit Lane in Toronto in December 1988 and has not been heard from since - lived immediately north of Veronica Kaye who was found murdered in October 1981.

Veronica was last seen in November 1980 at Highway 427 and Bloor Street West where she lived and was not much older than Amber.  An almost straight line could be drawn between these 2 addresses.

Veronica's remains were found near a railway line as were -
- Geraldine Pickford 1965
- Dianna Veronica Singh 1974
- Debbie Silverman 1978
- Lizzie Tomlinson 1980
- Christine Jessop 1984

The following 2 children were last seen walking near a railway line and have never been found -
- Robert Brown 1968
- Cheryl Hanson 1974

Dianna Veronica Singh and Yvonne Leroux were last seen on or just off Jane Street in Toronto and both were found almost immdeiately north on or just off Jane Street in 1974 and 1972.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
I MSG'd someone on facebook under the name Amber Carrie and am waiting to hear back she certainly looks like her just older.

history_major

• View Profile
Never, did anything ever come of that message on facebook?

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
Nope... sorry to say. don't believe I ever got a reply

Jules

• View Profile
Leigh;

Please contact me.  I am Ambers half sister (was given up for adoption in 1969).  Chris as passed away.

fitkicks@hotmail.com.  I would like to talk to you about Amber.

Jules

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
Leigh and Jules,
I just wanted to let you know that the volunteers at the Doe Network have not forgotten Amber and we are very sorry for all you are going through. If you have any further info to add to her case file here www.doenetwork.org/cases/312dfon.html please don't hesitate to contact our Ontario Area Director ekosturik@gmail.com or Webmaster helenewahlstrom@gmail.com

Take care,
Angela

wantedwanted

• View Profile
I found these two articles looking for 'Amber Carrie Potts Jaffary' using ProQuest. The first is from '95, an extensive article detailing possible connections between Bernardo and numerous disappearances and homicides. It briefly mentions Amber toward the end, I've bolded that part. These articles both make reference to her living at a hotel after running away from home.

The second is a quite short one about the search for Amber.

(Copyright The Toronto Star)

Police in several communities across North America are combing their files to determine whether Paul Bernardo may be linked to any unsolved slayings over the past 15 years.

And police in Florida and New Jersey are checking their files to see if he is linked to sex attacks or slayings in their areas.

``I know for a fact there are cases he is responsible for but we could never prove it,'' says a senior Metro police officer. ``You should certainly consider he's linked to other crimes.''

Detectives who suspect Bernardo of crimes in their areas say Niagara Region police and the Ontario attorney-general's ministry have refused to let them question Bernardo until after his double-murder trial.

The detectives are reluctant to discuss details of their investigations but confirm they are reviewing old files to see if there is any physical evidence, such as DNA, to identify or eliminate Bernardo as a suspect.

Bernardo is a suspect in the deaths of Valerie Stevens and Cindy Halliday, and police are looking for possible connections to other killings in Ontario.

Stevens, 19, vanished Sept. 9, 1989, after leaving her baby daughter with friends at her Vendome Pl. apartment in North York.

Police say she intended to go to the Diamond Club, a Sherbourne St. night spot that Bernardo frequented. Her remains were found Oct. 22, 1992, in a wooded thicket near Brantford.

Halliday, 17, was abducted four days after Bernardo and his wife abducted Kristen French in April, 1992.

Halliday was hitchhiking from Barrie to her home in Waverley. Her body was found in Vespra Township on June 16, 1992. She had been stabbed to death, but there is evidence she lived for 30 days after she went missing.

Superintendent Larry Edgar, head of the Ontario Provincial Police criminal investigation branch, said Bernardo has not been eliminated as a suspect in the Halliday slaying or in the disappearances of Lois Hanna, 25, and Lisa Leona Maas, 22.

Bernardo vacationed as a teenager near Owen Sound, where Hanna and Maas vanished, and he went skiing in the Barrie area near where Halliday was slain.

Hanna, 25, vanished July 3, 1988, after driving to her Kincardine home from nearby Lucknow. Evidence shows she was getting ready for bed when abducted. The television was on, a cup of tea was on the table and her purse and house keys were nearby.

Maas, 22, disappeared from her Owen Sound home on July 17, 1988, after being at a party in Woodford. She was five months pregnant and recently separated from her husband. Her vehicle was later found on a country road.

Information turned up in the Leslie Mahaffy/Kristen French investigation shows Bernardo was a counsellor at a YMCA camp on the outskirts of Waterloo when Kimberly Ann Fraser, 17, went missing in the Kitchener-Waterloo area on June 22, 1984. She was later found dead in a ditch near Laurel Creek.

Metro police are also checking if Bernardo is connected to the slayings of two prostitutes, Cheryl Roseann Nelson and Lori Pinkus.

Nelson, 20, of Shoreham Court, was killed March 9, 1991, at an industrial complex near Finch Ave. and Highway 400. She had been savagely beaten and repeatedly stabbed.

Pinkus, who frequented Toronto's west end, was strangled Sept. 8, 1991. Her partly clad body was found on the grounds of Brockton High School near Dufferin and Bloor Sts.

Metro police sources say that after Bernardo became a suspect in a series of rapes in Scarborough, he was under surveillance and was often seen to drive aimlessly through industrial areas in North York and Toronto's west end.

Metro detectives are also looking for his possible connection to the Nov. 28, 1988, disappearance of Amber Carrie Potts, also known as Amber Carrie Jaffary.

There has been no trace of the 16-year-old since she left a hotel in Etobicoke where she'd been living after running away from home.

By Cal Millar and Philip Mascoll. Toronto Star. Toronto, Ont.: Sep 2, 1995. p. A.14

Copyright 1989 Toronto Star, All Rights Reserved.

Police have come up empty in their search for a teenager with a history of running away from home.

Amber Carrie Potts, 16, has been missing since Nov. 28. She is also known as Amber Carrie Jaffary.

Police haven't ruled out foul play and the homicide squad is now involved in the case.

"She's a chronic runaway," said Constable Frank Scubic. "But in the past, she's always kept in touch with people.

"This time, she apparently was living in a hotel. But she left all of her stuff behind . . . It's an unusual case."

Potts is described as white, 5 feet 7 inches and weighing 130 pounds. She has wavy brown hair, brown eyes, good teeth and a fair complexion.

Anyone with information about her disappearance is asked to call police at 324-2205.

Toronto Star. Toronto, Ont.: Jan 12, 1989. p. A.2

Leigh

• View Profile
This is all interesting, I still wish there were answers :( Not only is Amber missed by me, now her mother will be missed. I am just sick with the fact that her mother will never know what happened on Dec. 5th to her only child. Amber if you are out there please contact me at boydco1@hotmail.com   T.Morrow, dearest friend
So sad

cate

• View Profile
Strange that they never really looked at the fact that a girl she knew was also found murdered. Kelly and Amber both knew each other.  The little girl that they found dead Dec/16/88 has always reminded me in a few pictures of Amber. I mentioned it but was told it was too far away to be possible. I don't think that they are right about that. Hitchhiking down to a warm place when you are a run away in Canada with the Winter coming is not all that unheard of, trust me. Anyways that little girl has never been identified either.

Doe Network #26UFGA if you know Amber look at the 4th reconstruction picture and tell me that does not look like her.

I don't know if it had anything to do with Kelly's murder or if that case I mentioned above is as close as I think that it is but I really wish that one day we will be able to either have Amber back or at least know what happened to her.

Cate

jobo

• View Profile
I compared the pictures of Amber to the Doe Network's #26UFGA pictures and I do see a likeness.   The description is similar too.   
I wonder if Amber would have tried to catch a ride to the "sunny south" and ended up in Georgia.   Could have caught a ride with a trucker or someone heading south.     It might be worth the phone call to the police.....I see there is DNA available (as mentioned on The Doe Network).   It certainly would be nice to have answers for Amber's loved ones.

Doc Potts

• View Profile
Hello

It is to my understanding that when DNA was
Given, Amber was thought to be one of the
Victims on the Pickton Farm in Vancouver.

R.I.P
God bless you Amber

Doc Potts

• View Profile
I would also like to mention that Amber
Might have been of more fair skin but she
Was actually Cree Indian.  Her biological father
Was Cree. 

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Can any one on here post a pic of Amber.  I lived in Etobicoke on Rabbit lane right around that time.  When you came in off of bloor st, to Rabitt Lane if you turned left Rabbit lane consisted of most single family home and a few six plexes.  How ever if you turned right it was an Ontairo housing complex that had a scary reputation.  In face so bad that they had their own police for there.  Does any one know what address she lived at on Rabbit lane?  Also wonder if any one is able to tell me what hotel she was supposedly last at where she was living at in Etobicoke.  She would be around the age of my son .  Just wondering if I might remember anything.  I cant remember exactly what year I moved to Rabbit lane but right around that time or very shortly after?  Thanks. 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile

Amber Carrie Potts
Age-progressed image of Amber at age 21 (Doe Network)

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Thanks Deb  I couldnt get on that site much appreciated.  Doc how do you know this and how would she have gotten from Etobicoke out to where picton was just wondering if this is fact or just a thought?