Author Topic: Diane Prevost, age 2, MISSING ,1966, Grundy Lk Provincial Park  (Read 15957 times)

mauvelilac

Diane Prevost, age 2, MISSING ,1966, Grundy Lk Provincial Park
« on: November 01, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
Missing since Saturday September 16, 1966 from Grundy Lk. Provincial Park, Ontario. Please visit her site.
There is always hope that this child can be reunited  with her family.

http://www.dianeprevost.info/

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:40:45 AM by debbiec »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Diane Prevost, age 2, MISSING ,1966, Grundy Lk Provincial Park
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:47:17 AM »
This is quite sad.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »
her family pictures resemble the Prevosts I know here in Toronto. Paul Prevost was my neighbour,murdered by his nephew 2 years ago.
Very strong family resemblance.  I bet they are related.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
It just infuriates me that these police and park officials wouldn't give an inch to accomodate the parent's and family's wise attempts to stop whoever this was before it was too late.  I hope these guys rot in hell for that!

quotes:

Night fall arrived and Bernard told the police to close the gate of the park so that no cars could go in or out of the park during the night. The police would not agree.
The family has contacted the Ontario Provincial Police to inquire about Diane's police file. The file has not yet been located and the OPP had not heard of Diane's disappearance.
When the O.P.P. arrived at the park I asked them to put road blocks and notify the USA and Canada borders because I had a feeling that she wasn?t in the park. The police said we would find her in the park.

mauvelilac

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »
Whatever happened to Diane Prevost?

Posted By DENIS ST. PIERRE, THE SUDBURY STAR
Posted 7 hours ago

Back in the 1960s, Blezard Valley's Prevost family spent many happy summer days at Grundy Lake Provincial Park.

Saturday, Sept. 17, 1966, was supposed to be such a day, with the Prevost clan -- children, their parents and grandparents -- enjoying a late-season excursion to the popular park, about an hour south of Sudbury.

"We would all go there ... for fishing, swimming," recalls Lise (Prevost) Nastuk. "My grandparents had a camper and we would go there with them often."

On that late-summer day in 1966, Bernard and Claire Prevost took their four young children, ranging in age from two to five, down to the beach at Grundy Lake. Grandparents Therese and Adolias Prevost remained behind at the campsite, taking a nap.

It was a typical, relaxing day, with dad Bernard fishing from the dock and mom Claire on the shore with youngsters. While Joanne, Claude and Lise searched for frogs at the water's edge, the youngest of the four kids, two-year-old Diane played in the sand.

Eventually, little Diane told her parents she wanted to return to the campsite to be with her grandparents. Bernard told his daughter he would take her back as soon as he untangled his fishing line. But during a brief moment that the mother and father had turned their heads, Diane disappeared into the adjacent woods.

Initially, the parents assumed the toddler had taken a head start in returning to the family's nearby trailer. But when Claire Prevost ran back to the campsite, her daughter was nowhere to be found.

It didn't take long for panic to set it, as parents and grandparents began searching frantically for their little girl. When they didn't find her they called the Ontario Provincial Police. Police officers, natural resources officers and other campers soon joined the search, but by nightfall Diane remained missing. The girl's father and grandfather search throughout the night, to no avail.

By sunrise the following day, dozens of searchers had arrived at the park, assisted by a tracking dog, a police airplane and scuba divers. The search r four weeks, without result, leaving the Prevost family shattered.

For more than four decades, "there's been a void in our lives," says Nastuk, who was 3 1/2 when her sister disappeared.

"People cannot imagine what this does to a family," she says on a website recently created to revive public attention to Diane's case.

"I don't know how my parents have survived this tragedy," Nastuk says. "This pain has never gone away, even after all these years. There is no closure; it's an open wound that won't heal."

The Prevost family has always believed Diane was kidnapped. Their only hope has been that Diane, who would be 45, survived and that her abductors' motive was to raise the girl as their own.

"Over the years, we have tried different attempts at finding her without any success," Nastuk says.

After nearly 43 years, the family's hopes have been rekindled by its new website and the help of internationally recognized forensic identification artist Diana Trepkov.

The Ajax-based Trepkov recently completed an age-progression drawing showing what a 45-year-old Diane Prevost might look like today.

Trepkov has helped police and families in dozens of cases of missing and unidentified people in Canada and the United States. During a recent appearance on the nationally broadcast Canada AM program, she made a brief reference to the Diane Prevost case.

The Prevost family contacted Trepkov after learning of the artist's work on a kidnapping case in the U. S. Trepkov readily obliged, not only creating the age-progression drawing of Diane Prevost, but also offering to help the family publicize the case with media organizations.

"Everything was dormant for so long, the family didn't know what to do, so they asked for my help," Trepkov says. "The more help we get from the media and the public, the better, because there is a chance that she is alive. You never know."

Trepkov used childhood photos of Diane, as well as photos of the girl's siblings and parents, to create the age-progression drawing.

Lise Nastuk says the drawing of her sister as an adult initially evoked surreal feelings.

"It took me a few days for it to sink in, that she is an adult, because we've always thought of her as a baby," she says. "She looks like my older sister (Joanne); we see the resemblance there."

The Prevost family also learned recently that the OPP had lost track of Diane's case over the years and could not find the file.

However, the OPP has reopened the file, assigned an officer to it and is committed to doing what it can to bring attention to the case, Nastuk says.

"Diane's picture is going to be on the police website and she's been added to their missing persons database."

Meanwhile, Diane Prevost's parents and grandparents have mixed feelings about the latest developments, says Nastuk.

"My parents and grandparents are getting up in age and so far there's been nothing, nothing to say what happened," she says. "They're not hoping for anything, but really they are."

While the family received tremendous support at the time of Diane's disappearance, it also endured unfounded accusations and scorn, particularly from anonymous phone calls, Nastuk says.

With Diane's case receiving renewed attention, her parents "are a little leery, because back in '66 there was a lot of support, but there was a lot negativity around the case.

"There were some mean people out there."

To learn more about the case or to contact the family, visit its website at www.dianeprevost.info.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1479074

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:37:04 AM »

TheStar.com | Ontario | Still looking for missing Diane, 43 years later
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/679203

BCID

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:46:21 AM »
http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2810115&archive=true

Hoping for a long-awaited reunion
By CAROLMULLIGAN THE SUDBURY STAR
Posted 7 months ago

A Sudbury woman is hoping against hope DNA testing will confirm a 46-year-old woman whom her family met last week-end is her sister who was abducted from Grundy Lake Provincial Park on Sept. 17, 1966.

Lise (Prevost) Nastuk said Wednesday that Ontario Provin-cial Police in North Bay are await-ing DNA results to determine if the woman is Diane Prevost, who was kidnapped while her par-ents, grandparents and siblings enjoyed a late-summer day 34 years ago. Prevost was just two when she was taken.

Nastuk was on pins and nee-dles Wednesday, waiting for a call from police that could end the nightmare her family has lived with all that time.

From the beginning, the Pre-vost family believed Diane had been taken by someone who wanted to raise her as their own and never abandoned hope of finding their loved one alive.

Bernard and Claire Prevost, now 69 and 65, took their four youngsters, aged two to five, to the beach at Grundy Lake that September day when the family was spending time with Diane's grandparents, Therese and Ado-lias Prevost.

The elder Prevosts remained behind at their campsite to take a nap while the younger couple and their children made their way to the beach.

Bernard fished from the dock and Claire stayed on the shore with her children. Joanne, Claude and Lise searched for frogs at the shoreline while Diane played in the sand.

Diane decided she wanted to return to the campsite to be with her grandparents and told her parents that. Bernard said he would take her back as soon as he untangled some fishing line.

In the second that her parents turned their heads, Diane disap-peared into the adjacent woods.

After a frantic search by the entire family, the Ontario Provincial Police was called. They were joined in a wider search for the tiny girl by Natu-ral Resources officers and other campers.

That search r four weeks, but the girl was never found.

Nastuk, who was three and a half at the time and the rest of her family have never stopped looking for that little girl.

Two years ago, the family cre-ated a website with the assis-tance of Sudbury's Chantal Morin, a friend of Nastuk's. The site included an age-progres-sion drawing of Diane Prevost, showing her, as she would look as woman in her 40s. The draw-ing is by internationally recog-nized forensic identification artist Diana Trepkov of Oshawa.

When contacted Wednesday, Nastuk was reluctant to reveal too many details about the results produced because of the website, but she said four women have contacted her family believing they might be the missing girl, now grown up.

One of the women was ruled out after DNA testing and others were discredited, said Nastuk, who lives in Sudbury.

To learn more about the case, visit www.dianeprevost. info.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:46:40 AM »
I wonder how this turned out?

foundintranslation

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
I've just picked up on this tragic story. I'm going to be at Grundy Lake P.P. in June - it will be interesting to take a look around the area where this happened.

I wonder if she wandered off into the woods and was lost? The park is huge.

scotsquine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
There was a thread on here started by a woman who believed she had been kidnapped when she was very young.  She didn't know anything about her past, not even her name.  Does anyone remember this?

rainstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »
Odd that, if you remember this post scotsquine that no one told her about this missing baby Diane, from ont.
These people probably watched this family for a while and made their move. Its really sad being a mother myself thinking that someone is watching me to see when they can take my baby. I bet Dianes mother tears herself a part every day. My heart goes out to her :-[

rainstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »
Its too bad that they didn't shut down traffic in and out of the park and check peoples vehicles. If that was even possible. Maybe not in 66.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Taken from the link at reply #5.

A forensic artist envisioned Diane Pr?vost at 45, using old photos and features of Diane's siblings.