Author Topic: Release 0f Sex Offenders:::  (Read 9906 times)

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Release 0f Sex Offenders:::
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
Pretty good article from the Journal.

The only thing is, I have such a hatred for these people, I don't want them ever released. The law does't work that way, but JMO...

'Stressed out' sex offenders put public at risk: police
Convicts often have no home, money or job when released from prison

Jamie Hall
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, October 24, 2008

EDMONTON - Lack of support and resources for high-risk sex offenders released into the community puts the public at risk, especially children, a veteran Edmonton police officer says.

"There are cracks in the system that need to be fixed, and they won't be fixed unless people are aware of the problem," said Det. Doug MacLeod of the high-risk offenders unit.

"The people we supervise have done terrible, terrible things, and they're clearly dangerous people, but because they have no supports when they're released into the community -- in some cases no home, no money, no identification, no job -- they get completely stressed out.

"And they do not deal well with stress. That's often the reason they end up re-offending. If we can keep them more stable, we can keep our children safer."

MacLeod has been a police officer for 28 years, three of them with the Zebra Child Protection Centre investigating child sexual-abuse cases.

As part of his current assignment, he and colleague Det. Dave Morrissey monitor offenders for up to a year following their release, sometimes longer.

The high-risk offenders unit tracks men who are still considered dangerous despite having served their entire sentence. Their offences may include manslaughter, homicide, serial arson, bank robbery and sexual assault, often against children.

Danial Gratton was not on the unit's caseload, but MacLeod shared the hot seat with Edmonton Police Chief Mike Boyd when Gratton was charged earlier this month in connection with the abduction and sexual abuse of a seven-year-old girl, and the sexual assault of a 10-year-old girl.

Gratton, a longtime child sex offender, was on parole at the time of the alleged attack, but was receiving treatment at the Phoenix Centre and was considered a manageable risk not to re-offend.

"People need to understand that these offenders are going to be in our community, and at this point there's nothing we can do about it except manage them properly to reduce the risk," MacLeod said.

"There's a hole in the system that needs to be fixed. It's not our fault, it's not Corrections Canada's fault. This isn't about pointing fingers or assessing blame; it's about finding solutions."

The Correctional Investigator for Canada, who is independent of Corrections Canada, agreed that managing the transition from prison is critically important for the communities where the former convicts choose to live, and for the long-term success of the offenders themselves.

"It is a difficult period," Howard Sapers said.

"If you're dealing with an individual with a lengthy criminal history, as well as perhaps a history of addiction or mental illness or a history of family dysfunction, and you've done nothing to address those issues during incarceration, returning to the community can be further problematic."

Sapers is the federal ombudsman for federal offenders and reports annually to Parliament with recommendations aimed at improving the correctional system in Canada.

He said preparing prisoners for release begins the day they're sentenced; when assessments are done and when a determination is made about where to place offenders in the system and what programs to offer.

"Perhaps why some of these offenders continue to be considered high risk is that they didn't have access to the programs and the interventions they needed, and weren't properly assessed at the beginning of the sentence," Sapers said.

Sapers said there's a need for "non-criminal justice interventions and supports" to help with basic issues such as housing and employment.

But because there is no integrated national strategy for handling them, inter-agency and co-ordinated approaches for providing such supports tend to be few and far between, he said.

"We have a federal system and we have 13 provincial and territorial systems, but we don't have one over-

arching national strategy."

jhall@the journal.canwest.com
? The Edmonton Journal 2008

haunted

Re: Release 0f Sex Offenders:::
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »
Well, let me just say this. I would love nothing more than to have more of my tax dollars provide for this sick SOBs so they can get their basic needs covered after harming some child, upon release from prison. Another reason maybe they ought to think about what their future life will entail following prison at the time they commit the crime. I would MUCH rather pay extra tax dollars to keep them housed where they won't be released into my neighbourhood or yours again, EVER! Yes I am speaking of pedophiles and murderers.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:00:51 PM by haunted »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
RIGHT ON HAUNTED!  that's how most of us feel and imo. anyone in their right mind.  keep the pervs away forever.  No one and nothing...no amount of intervention, tax dollars, medication, supervision, parole....anything can do the job.  You can't change a leopards spots or a tigers stripes.  I just wish some kind of perv would come along who only gets off on doin' judges or politicians.... taking trophies and all....then our woman and children and all might get safe laws passed and the right thing get done instead of setting these sickos loose over and over.    When will these judges and politicians get it!....... oh yeh.... I forgot....judges? politicians?  what am I thinking of?   ...guess most of these controllers know how the sicos feel!

haunted

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »
A distant family member had her 4 year old daughter molested by a neighbour man. He was married and had grown children of his own. The crown could not or would not pursue it because they had to partially rely on the testimony of a 4 year old child and said they couldn't make it stick. So, the mother of this little girl who had been molested put up posters all over the neighbourhood with his picture and name on it and what he did and everytime he had family or friends over she went and knocked on their door and told the people who were there visiting what this man did to her little girl. Chances are though that this guy did it to his own children or grandchildren, nieces and/or nephews as well. They cannot be cured because they don't want to be cured. Like I posted before if they wanted rehabiliation why don't they seek it on their own if their behaviour troubles them so much. They NEVER seek their own treatment without being forced to by the justice system. If  I behaved in some fashion that seemed beyond my control and it was bothersome to me or people around me, I would seek my own treatment, just like people with OCD or depression or any kind of issues do, whether it be physical, mental or emotional. If you don't want to change because you 'like' doing what you are doing and you're getting a payoff from it, in whatever form, then why change (voluntarily or under duress)?

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
exactly.....these pervs can't give it up - just like I can't give up smoking.  I can do without smoking for hours while working..... or even days if in hospital....but when I get back in my own comfort zone...I smoke again; I just don't have the will to quit.
I think if one of those guys wanted to quit their horrible deeds, they would have managed to do it..... they wouldn't be doing what they're doing.... but it's not in their nature to quit.  That's their thing and will be until they die.

Of course they will go through the motions - the promises - the theropy - in order to get parole... but that's as far as it goes.... once in their own comfort zone, they'll be back at it

haunted

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »
Yes, back at it and blaming the system for failing to properly provide the treatment they so desperately need. It is always the system that fails these pathetic losers, well you know what, the system fails the victims in far bigger ways. And for once I would like to see these perpetrators actually take some onus and some responsibility for their behaviour just like we teach our children to do. Children can get the concept yet these guys are just poor victims of a failing system. Did the system make them become predators of children? Hell no. Every time we take a step, we make a choice. Every time we put our arms around a child in a loving and honest way, we make a choice. Well, every time they try to manipulate a child, harm them for their own gratification they are making choices. I have never made an action in my life that I am not accountable for.  So, enough is enough already. Be adults. Pick on someone your own size and see what the consequences are.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:06:14 AM »
Yeah Haunted, very good!

I'll even pay extra taxes to keep those freaks in jail.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
Does the public have to get to the point where they have to sue the powers that be for not properly protecting them, after being victimized?

I wonder if this is gonna work? Families of victims suing government for not protecting them properly. In particular, one mother of a little 10 yo rape victim (raped by Danial Todd Gratton) files suit against the correctional service, parole board and others:

Claim includes:

...The police failed to monitor Gratton, as he was on the National Sex Offender Registry, and thus part of their jurisdiction. When they learned of the breach of his supervision order, the public should have been warned.

...The police, parole board or correctional service could have applied for a peace bond to force him away from children, but none did.

..."None of the defendant institutions took sufficient steps to warn the public of Gratton's residence and their failure to do so led to Gratton's ability to abduct and assault (the girl). Her mother was not warned to take extra steps to ensure safety of her daughter."

..."Contrary to any proper standards of supervision of dangerous sexual offenders, the defendants allowed, or failed to investigate and learn, that Gratton resided in a multifamily apartment complex populated by over 50 vulnerable children. The complex had a swimming pool where all summer long innocent children frolicked in bathing suits under the insidious watch of Gratton the predator."

...At the time of the assault, Gratton already had numerous convictions for molesting children, for which he had served prison time. He was released on parole to attend the Phoenix Rehabilitation Program at Alberta Hospital, which he completed in March 2008. In that program, he was supervised by the parole board and the correctional service to ensure, among other things, that he stayed away from children.

That failure left the girl "wounded psychologically and physically for life."

The mother is claiming her daughter now suffers from both psychological and physical injuries, traumatic shock and horror and educational problems.

The family has also incurred expenses, such as redecorating her bedroom, counselling, medications, new clothes and measures to avoid eviction due to the girl screaming in her sleep.

The child's injuries may keep her from having meaningful relationships in the future, as well as affect her ability to some day have children, the lawsuit states.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Rape+victim+sues+Edmonton+police+federal+agencies/3611850/story.html

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
Found this info out on the Government of Canada website:

Sex offender recidivism
Adobe Acrobat version (PDF 13KB)

Research summary
Vol. 9 No. 4
July 2004

Question
How often do sexual offenders re-offend sexually?1.The level of sexual recidivism in sexual offenders is lower than is commonly believed.
2.Policies based on the assumption that all sexual offenders re-offend at a high rate or that all sexual offenders pose the same recidivism risk may lead to over-supervising lower risk offenders.
3.Actuarial assessment tools can assist in differentiating high-risk offenders from lower risk offenders.

Source
■Harris, A., & Hanson, R. K. Sex offender recidivism: A simple question. (User Report 2004-03). Ottawa: Public Safety Canada.

For further information
R. Karl Hanson, Ph.D.
Corrections Research
Public Safety Canada
340 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0P8
Tel: 613-991-2840
Fax: 613-990-8295
E-mail: Karl.Hanson@ps.gc.ca

sourc e: 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:19:12 PM by AlbertaCowboy »

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
As much as I hate to play devil's advocate, it seems like Sex Offenders are no more likely to reoffend than non-Sex Offenders.  Locking every sex offender in Canada away for life is not really an option, so corrections officials should get them treatment in prison, so they do not reoffend.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »
by all means Cowboy... that is a good solution .... provided that the treatment is castration.  All other treatments are too indefinite for a definite conditions that damages their victims for life  both physically and psychologically - In many cases the offense is repeated on the same victim - in that in many cases, repeated for years. 

To give them one treatment "castration" is far more humane than the treatment their victims received.  ... problem solved!  I happen to think castration is too good for them.  The fact is, I think they should be thrown to a gang of killers having a bad day.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
That is true that only about 25% (or in this case, 27%) of sex offenders are charged with another crime. The keyword is 'charged'. Since only about 25% of sex crimes are reported, and not all result in a charge, it is a bit more difficult to say only 27% Re offend.

I did read that in the states, sex offenses are way down every since 1995 when the feds began cracking down hard on pedophiles and predator types.

What I think will be intereting is how these numbers change over the next 10 years now that social networking and google make it easier for people to know if someone is a sex criminal.

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »
Not sure what type of Sex Offenders you are referring to.  I've heard that the Sex Offenders who molest/rape children account for under 5% of the total Sex Offender registry.  That is a fairly small percentage.  It's not really fair to the majority of people living with the stigma of having the word "sex offender" labelled to them.  This can be as minor as one person groping another at a party.  Sure, it is wrong, and they should be punished, but to castrate them?  That's a little heavy-handed.  Additionally, in domestic cases, it is estimated that as many as 1/3 of cases, the accused is actually innocent. 

The reasons the person is charged vary, but child custody and the fact that most provinces have a "zero-tolerance" policy for this kind of thing gives one party a huge advantage if they want to charge their partner with any type of crime, since essentially, it is guilt until innocence is proven.  Let's not forget about the Duke Lacrosse Team.

I agree that people who abduct and rape children should be locked away in prison, but the fact is that these cases are extremely rare, and to paint all sex offenders under the same brush is unfair to the ones who may have commited a very minor sex crime (obsene phone calls, indecent exposure, inappropriate touching, etc.) . 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:56:41 PM by AlbertaCowboy »

Sleuth

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
I have a fix for that problem. change the laws where they will never be released, then they will not be a public problem.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
You're right cowboy;  I didn't even think about that minor groping crimes.  I suppose they don't come to my mind, as something that would bring on "jail time".  If a person groped me at a party, I would probably break his arm.... definitely his fingers.  But not all people could or would protect themselves that way, especially if they are among strangers.  Although if it were an adult mauling a teen or child, that is major to me.  Most kids are brainwash by peers, so they are uncomfortable about "squealing".... or scared nobody will believe a kid.  To me, that too is major.

I am also the type whom, if need be, will just laugh it off;  but then I will tell everybody I know that he is "a groper"..... better yet, if he's married or attached, I would make sure I tell it to someone in ear shot of his wife.  I would just pretend I didn't know the guys last name, and I would say, "You know!  that Joe guy that was there.  He was driving a Tuscan."  ... the wife would get the message because she probably already knows what he's like.

On the other hand cowboy, I doubt if jail time is assigned to first time rapers, unless it is "very clearly proven" to be a rape .... as in "stranger rape".  I think for a first offense over a rape that occurred involving two people that were seen together publically social, the sentence would more likely be a fine and probation, and maybe even a peace bond.  I guess I didn't think about that layer of sex crimes.  ....there are so many.... internet stalking and emails of a sexual nature for example.  But again, I have to say, for the stranger rape, child rape, incest, gang rapes, all the bad ones. ..... take their ability to rape away!..... that is something savage and extremely severe, and should be nipped in the bud.