Author Topic: Brandon Crisp, October 13th, 2008  (Read 31322 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Brandon Crisp, October 13th, 2008
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_28264.aspx

Barrie Teen Still Missing After Fighting With Parents Over Video Games
Monday October 20, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff
A fight over a video game may have led to a Barrie teen's disappearance, and his parents simply want him back.

Brandon Crisp, 15, went missing week ago after a dispute with his parents over the Xbox game Call of Duty. According to his father Steve Crisp, Brandon took off last Monday after the fight, in which they told him they wanted him to put down the controller and stop playing for awhile.

Crisp suggests his son was losing sleep because he was so engaged in the WWII-themed first-person shooter game.

Police circulated flyers over the weekend and employed a helicopter to look for him by air, in addition to the extensive ground search. As of Monday they had no new leads.

Brandon was last seen asking for directions to an area east of Barrie where his friends live.

me

• View Profile
Re: Brandon Crisp, MISSING, October 13th, 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/521731

Family fears boy lured by gamers

SHARON BAMFORD PHOTO
Angelika and Steve Crisp are asking Barrie-area cottagers to check properties for signs of their son Brandon, who ran away nine days ago.   
Teen who ran away after Xbox dispute 'addicted' to playing online war game, father says

Oct 22, 2008 04:30 AM
Theresa Boyle
Staff Reporter

Steve Crisp's best hope for his missing 15-year-old son is that the lad is hiding out in a luxury cottage somewhere northeast of Barrie.

But his worst fear is that Brandon, a Grade 10 student, has ventured too far into the fantasy world of a video game to which he was "addicted" and has run into trouble.

"I'm worried he has met someone online through this game. It could be organized crime or someone involved in Internet gambling. Pedophiles can stalk kids through these games," the tormented father said in an interview last night.

Brandon ran away from home in north Barrie nine days ago and has not been seen or heard from since. He left home following a dispute with his parents over the Xbox online war game, Call of Duty 4, which he spent countless hours and days playing over the last 18 months.

"I told him he wouldn't be getting his Xbox back. He said, `Then I'm going to leave home.'"

Steve called his son's bluff and even helped him pack his knapsack.

"I really thought he would be home later that day with his tail between his legs," said Steve, who remembers running away from home once when he was a boy.

Brandon took off on his yellow bike, which was spotted just hours later in a ditch about eight kilometres northeast of the family's home. Steve suspects the 5-foot-3, 100-pound boy was on his way to meet some friends in Oro-Medonte Township. His three best buddies from school were also members of his "Call of Duty Clan."

Steve has since learned from these friends that Brandon may be part of another clan, but the friends have no idea who those members are. He fears the boy was lured into meeting someone from that clan and is now being held against his will.

Barrie police and OPP have conducted ground and aerial searches and yesterday added reinforcements, The Canadian Press reported. Police and the Crisp family yesterday urged cottagers and homeowners in the area to check their properties for any sign of Brandon.

"It's a very high-end area of Barrie where there are multi-million-dollar cottages owned by (people) who only use them two or three months a year. My best hope is that Brandon is having a great time, eating all their food," Steve said.

Brandon has never run away before and would've called if he knew of his family's distress, he added.

"He has a good heart," Steve said of his son, who was a straight-A student until his obsession with gaming started in 2006. The boy purchased Call of Duty with Christmas money and Steve subscribed to Xbox online at his son's urging.

"It was peer pressure. He wanted to play with his three best friends but they live half an hour away. So they would put their headsets on, meet up online and play a game," Steve explained.

But he said the game became an "addiction" and "obsession" for the teen who played against other teams around the world, staying up all night and spending his summer holidays indoors.

Steve said he had taken the game away from Brandon more than 20 times in the past, including the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend after learning the boy had skipped school the day before and taken $20 off the kitchen table, meant for one of his two sisters. But the following day, Brandon was playing the game again after finding it hidden in his father's bathroom vanity. So Steve, a renovator, removed it for good, this time taking it out of the house to his workshop.

"I just want him to know we love him dearly. It doesn't matter what he's done. He won't be in trouble when he comes home. We're going to work things out," his father said.

mauvelilac

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »
Search continues for missing Ontario boy in cold, rainy weather
Module body

Sat Oct 25, 1:32 PM

What's this
By The Canadian Press

ADVERTISEMENT

ORO-MEDONTE, Ont. - Rain, mud and chilly weather have not deterred some 400 people from joining the ground search for missing Ontario boy Brandon Crisp.

The volunteers embarked Saturday on a second day of searching for the 15-year-old from Barrie, Ont., as software giant Microsoft doubled the reward money for information on his whereabouts to $50,000.

Public search organizer Charmaine Nolan, who works with Brandon's mother, said school bus loads of volunteers are scouring dense bush area and fields.

Barrie police, who are on day seven of their own search just southwest of the civilians, say no meaningful clues have turned up yet.

Sgt. Dave Goodbrand says people from Miami to British Columbia have offered assistance, including search and rescue expert Terry Grant, host of Canadian reality show "Mantracker," who flew in to help.

The teen ran away from home Oct. 13

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081025/national/missing_boy

mauvelilac

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
I've just had a thought on Brandon and possibly some, not all runaways. Last night, we were driving down a major street in the city. There was a young man, not much older than Brandon holding a sign up that read, "Travelling, broke, hungry." It wasn't Brandon but the thought came to me that if we all payed closer attention to these young people, we might be able to bring some home. Every city has young people begging for money and food on major street corners. Some of these young people might be on a missing poster somewhere. Just a thought.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »
you know mauve; that's more than "just a thought".  I did see one kid...first ever in downtown Sydney one day.  He was at the gas station sitting on the curb of the entrance with same sign as you described....think same words.... I am so sorry now, that I didn't just pretend I was dialing a number on my cell and snap his pic.  You have a good mind mauve ....next time, I'll be on the ball.  I always think of it when I see someone get beat .... and I wouldn't think twice of finding out who the victim is and sending him a copy for proof he was beat.  Shit, you can't even get people around here to admit being in the same vacinity much less snap some proof for a victim.  From now on, if I see a young person begging (and they are from out of town) they are going to be on my cell for sure.  ...never know ...might save a life if people would do that.

mauvelilac

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »
I've been guilty of driving by never paying much attention. Usually passing a fiver or so out the window but never really seeing these kids for what they might be, runaways, abused, unwanted, whatever the story.Until now I didn't have a cell phone that took pics.
I know one thing I've always done wherever I have gone. I travelled out west this summer and I looked for all the familiar missing kids Tamara Keepness(although I don't think she's a happy ending, Cedrika Provencher, even Madeleine McCann so on and so forth
I was at the Stampede, constantly scanning the crowd of faces hoping against hope. I thought I was doing all I could. It was only last night I realized I was just skimming the surface.
Thanx Ling, if everyone does that maybe we can bring home some missing kids. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Syiena

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »
Word is Brandon Crisp's story will be on America's Most Wanted website, and if the Canadian Investigators feel that Brandon might be in the USA, they will do a feature on him on the Saturday night's show.

It's just so scary, how one child can disappear like that.  That's why people are starting to think something's bad has happened, he's been taken by someone.

He could have started out with a plan to take off, and go somewhere but ran into the wrong people, who could be holding him against his will.

How does a child walk off the face of the earth and never been seen again?

Why?  How?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »
I agree; you can bet he talked to somebody ....more than likely ....more than one....after leaving.  And if his disappearance was legit, there would be people with info. on him.  Nobody can tell me a teen can disappear off the face of the earth that quick without help. 

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »
Or...

His friends know where he is - holed up in some remote cottage - and were at first rebellious and defiant enough to resist telling the police, but now are too sacred since they might be charged or get into a lot of trouble.  Especially after all this effort and expense has gone into the search.

I think he will eventually turn up once the intensity of the attention has died down.

At least I hope so.

haunted

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »
Shwa:

I was thinking the same thing. That once the police and everyone got involved searching for Brandon that maybe he perceived it as being too far gone and that he was not prepared for the 'troubele' he would perceive of it raining down on his, as well as not wanting all of the attention, good and bad, because it would be too embarassing with the entire country watching. He is just a child and children tend to worry first that amount of trouble they're going to receive before anything else, even if that is irrational given the circumstances.

I pray that is the situation. I am sure that the postings on the video game might yield some info, has Microsoft given up that info yet, last I heard the family was trying to persuade Microsoft, who of course was standing behind their confidentiality agreement regarding their customers.

If I lived in that area of the country I would have been out searching for him.

Syiena

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:24:23 AM »
A quote taken from http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10079261-52.html

Microsoft is also fully cooperating with police on the case, a spokesman said. He declined to comment on the specifics of that cooperation because the investigation is ongoing.

I did read in another article a few days ago (i'm currently looking for it) that Microsoft was in the process of identifying the last 200 gamers Brandon either play with or against.   But I haven't read that in any articles since.  Likely Microsoft has to keep this quiet.......because other gamers could protest this, because of the confidentiality agreement.  So I think we should keep in mind, that Microsoft could be helping big time, they're just not making it known to the public.

I just read this morning, that the Police are going to do one more search in the area where Brandon was last seen.    First they call off the search a few days ago, and now the search is back on.  Does this mean they have some sort of evidence to support the fact that Brandon is still in the area?  who knows?

For the last little while, I was convinced he was "holed up in some remote cottage" but it's been almost three weeks now, you would think Brandon would have ventured off outside, or something, wouldn't he?  Unless he was getting help from his friends.  I just don't know anymore.

I'm glad the police are trying one more time, maybe this will be it.  Maybe we will find Brandon!

Syiena

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:49:10 AM »
from the http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/528036

Last night, police were called to Bayfield Mall after a tipster reported seeing Crisp. Police surrounded and searched the mall, but turned up nothing.   

Maybe that's why they are resuming the search?

mauvelilac

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 12:49:19 PM »
Have the authorities check the bus station, train station, subway station in TO ASAP! Please

Syiena

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_28668.aspx

Two quotes taken from the article listed above.

They located a black sweater lying in a field where Crisp might have been, but they've so far been unable to link it to the boy.

In addition to the sweater, there was also a reported sighting of Brandon at a Barrie Mall. But once again, hopes were dashed for the teen's desperate mom and dad. The investigation didn't yield any further clues.

Mauv's right, they better check all stations asap, because if it was Brandon at the mall, now there's a good chance he's fully aware of what's going on, and could feel that he's gotta get out there.

haunted

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »
Excellent that AMW is going to do something for Brandon. That is the best media coverage I think. It will reach everywhere. The time lapse is definitely concerning. A few days, maybe a week I can see a kid hiding out, friends conspiring to help but this has gone on an awful long time. Also I don't understand why he would have abandoned his bike. It used to be, anyway, that a kids bike was a pretty important possession and if living in a rural community can be a means of transportation. If he was going somewhere why not ride your bike there? Is the trail where the bike was found near a road, where he could have hitched a ride. If he hitched ride in a truck, he would have thrown his bike in the box but if he hitched a ride in car he might have had to leave his bike. I don't know the area whatsoever, so these are just things that have come to my mind. I could be way off.