Author Topic: Cindy Laura Halliday - April 20, 1992 - Age 17 - Murdered - Waverly  (Read 75501 times)

Desespere

Cindy Laura Halliday - June 16, 1992 - Age 17 - Murdered - The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Cindy Laura Halliday , age 17 years.

On April 21st, 1992, Easter weekend, Cindy Halliday was reported missing to police. Following a large-scale search, her skeletal remains were found on June 16th, 1992, in a reforestation area in Flos Township near ELMVALE, Ontario. The investigation indicates that Cindy Halliday died in April or May of 1992, as a result of foul play.

She was a frequent hitchhiker, often traveling in the area between her home in WAVERLEY, to ELMVALE, MIDLAND and BARRIE, Ontario.
Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for the death of Cindy Laura Halliday should communicate immediately with the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:15:02 PM by Desespere »

Im_new_here2

Re: Cindy Laura Halliday - April 20, 1992 - Age 17 - Murdered - Waverly
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:35:13 PM »
I watched this case on court tv canada with i forget her name now the blonde haird woman but she seemed to suggest that paul bernardo may have been in the area at the time or a camero same colour as his was seen near the crime scene around the time of this incedent..Have not heard much about this case since that show however.. I live fairly close to this whole thing and the big reason i bring it up is because we have the same last name and everytime someone that dont know me hears my name they allways ask me Hey are you related to that girl cindy halliday that was murdered..Im not but i get that asked of me all the time. Anyways just curious what you all thought or ever heard about this case..???

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
I have not heard of this case yet, but it does fit the profile perhaps.

The only thing is, it is quite out of the way for Bernardo. Unless he had family in that area. Do you remember if there was any suspects in that case?

Im_new_here2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Not that i know of even on the court tv show they didnt name anyone.The only name that came up was paul bernardo and even that the police said they couldnt confirm, but beleived he wasn't in the area.Where she lived in a way you cant go any further its kind of a straight line from gerogian bay then to barrie its like A-B-C she living in B. Of course u can go farther than barrie but she was coming home the oppisite direction so you wouldnt drive that way unless u were specifically going towards her home town because there was nothing beyond that.They do say she hitch hiked to barrie alot to hang out in the same place a local pool hall so maybe it was someone that new she would be hitch hiking that night and left 20 minutes after she left hoping no one had picked her up yet.
Of course thats just MHO.

kindheart

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:31:53 PM »
Cindy?s murder remains unsolved 15 years later

Author: Lori Martin
Date: Oct 19, 2007

Cindy Halliday

1992 was a year Barrie can?t forget.
It was in the spring of this year that the remains of Cindy Halliday were discovered in a wooded area off Horseshoe Valley Road. The 17-year-old Waverley teen had visited a friend in Barrie on Easter Monday, April 20. She planned to hitchhike up Highway 27 and had accepted a ride near Finlay Road in Midhurst, but she never made it home.
In May, her wallet and jacket were found on Flos Concession 2 (Old Second South), just around the corner from where her remains would be discovered a month later in a reforestation area. Spring weather and animals had destroyed most of the body ? all that remained was Cindy?s skull.

At the time Cindy went missing, Kristen French had been abducted days earlier in St. Catharines, and people were caught up in the story of a good student who had reportedly been abducted on her way home from school. Cindy?s story was different. She had dropped out of high school, hitchhiked often, and hung around with some people many parents would consider unsavoury.
Then The Advance published a story about the kind of person Cindy was. She loved hockey, had a passion to one day become a social worker, and had strong connection with her family. The local TV station actually interviewed the paper about its coverage of Cindy?s murder for its nightly newscast.

After that story appeared, Sanford Outdoor Advertising in Barrie contacted The Advance and offered to create several Who killed Cindy? billboards to advertise the $10,000 reward being offered by the newspaper and the need for information in the case.
Val-Pak of Central Ontario, with the help of Sprint Printing, joined the hunt for Cindy?s killer by distributing 32,000 inserts through its business.

It became a community effort to find Cindy?s killer, but the case was not to be resolved.
Today, 15 years later, OPP Det.-Insp. Larry Reesor is in charge of the case and believes someone knows who killed Cindy.
?I find it very hard to believe someone out there hasn?t heard or doesn?t know of something that occurred that weekend,? Reesor told The Advance. ?Someone must have had a friend of family member who came home [April 20, 1992] and was acting differently, or had injuries to their hands or face that they couldn?t explain.?

A psychological profile, created by OPP Sgt. Kate Lines in 1993, indicated the murderer ? believed to be a man in his late 20s or early 30s (making him in his early to mid 40s today) ? may have known Cindy and may have been living in the area.Reesor believes a tip will lead to an arrest in the 15-year-old murder case. Improvements in forensic science methods have not been able to assist in the case to date, Reesor said, because of the lack of evidence left at the crime scene. Regardless, what little evidence is available has been resubmitted for examination when new technology becomes available, the investigator said.Although the murder occurred 15 years ago, it remains an active case. Also assigned to Cindy?s case are Det.-Const. Bill Rankin and Det.-Const. Paula Milne.

?Right now, we are paying as much attention to this case as we can. Over the last three years, we have been getting more information coming forward on this so it?s occupying more of our time,? Reesor said, adding the information comes mainly in tips from the public.
A tip that results in the conviction of Cindy?s killer could be worth as much as $50,000, as the OPP has offered a reward in this case. Crime Stoppers also pays cash for information leading to an arrest and conviction, and callers can choose to remain anonymous.
One of the main complications of the case has been determining a time of death because of the lack of reliable evidence found at the scene. Decomposition and the presence of animals meant little was left behind.

?From the time she went missing to when they found her remains in the wooded area, there were almost two months that had transpired. We believe she was probably killed on or about the day she went missing.?That means the odd behaviour or appearance of the suspect would have been apparent on the Monday or Tuesday following Easter weekend in 1992. Reesor firmly believes someone knows this secret.

?Cindy?s mother deserves some closure on this,? he said. ?She?s lived with this for a long, long time. It?s way past due to be solved.?
Anyone with information about Cindy Halliday?s murder is asked to call the Huronia West OPP at 429-3575, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

http://www.barrieadvance.com/barrieadvance/article/50574

kindheart

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »
A mother?s wish

Jackie Halliday is waiting for her daughter?s story to finally find an ending. Cindy?s skeletal remains were found by a man walking his dog in a reforestation area near where her wallet was discovered weeks earlier.

Multi-coloured pieces of felt, coarsely trimmed with children?s scissors, are glued in an orderly pattern to a piece of paper. It could be a rough design for a small stained-glass window, or a frantic effort to assemble as many pieces of material as possible in one area.
It?s easy to imagine the small hands at work. Selecting colours. Moving the triangle this way and that. Making art.
What makes this particular piece special is that it was given to a mom with love and pride, and was then treasured in a scrapbook to celebrate later in life.

Photographs of four children, laughing and growing through the years, are also part of the package, along with hockey team photos, education certificates, a drawing of a duck floating on water, and ribbons won at sporting events.
This picture of normalcy, however, is shattered with just the turn of a page.Memorial letters that celebrate life and share the rawness of a loss with mourners are also part of this collection, as are dozens of newspaper articles that tell the graphic tale of a gruesome, unsolved murder.This is Cindy Halliday?s scrapbook.

Her mom Jackie smiles as she turns the pages in the large photo album that contains much of her youngest daughter?s life story. It is a story that has yet to find an ending. Cindy, 17, went missing on Easter Monday, April 20, 1992, after visiting a friend living in a halfway house in Barrie. Growing up in Waverley ? a small village between Hillsdale and Orr Lake on Highway 93, intersected by Highway 27 ? the teen often counted on the kindness of strangers and good timing to hitch a ride to Barrie or Midland when she needed to travel.
Her older brother and sister had also used the same mode of transportation in their teenage years without incident.
Cindy never returned home. Jackie reported her missing to Barrie Police the following day, April 21, 1992.

Numerous sightings of the teen in the area were reported for weeks following her disappearance. Cindy did not contact home, however, which was standard policy in the Halliday household. In May, her wallet and jacket were found on Flos Concession 2 (Old Second South), just around the corner from where her remains would be discovered a month later in a reforestation area off Horseshoe Valley Road. Spring weather and animals had destroyed most of the body ? all that remained was Cindy?s skull.

It is a grim fact that weighs heavy on Jackie?s mind as she sits, 15 years later, still looking for answers in her daughter?s death.
? The best outcome would be to find out who did it, and what happened,? Jackie says during an interview in her two-bedroom apartment located hundreds of kilometres from Waverley. She is not confident this information will ever be known, and she has struggled to accept that. ? I have an understanding that, at first, we lost a week. Secondly, where they dumped her. It was spring and the animals were about and there was nothing left of her. Yes, there are new ways of finding [forensic information] now, but it was spring and the weather?s not great, and the ground?s not great.?

At the time Cindy went missing, 58-year-old Jackie recalls, Kristen French had been abducted days earlier in St. Catharines, and people were caught up in the story of a good student who had reportedly been abducted on her way home from school. Cindy?s story was different. She had dropped out of high school, hitchhiked often, and hung around with some people many parents would consider unsavoury.

Jackie believes Cindy?s lifestyle was the reason nothing happened in the case for days.
? We had that whole week where nothing was done. I went to Barrie (police) because that?s where she was last seen. I went down and, because she was a teenager, they figured she was just [not calling home]. It wasn?t until we started putting up flyers at the store (in Waverley) that the OPP got involved. That was the first they?d heard about it.? They say the first 48 hours are the most important. We lost a whole week.?

What has transpired since then are hundreds of police interviews, the retirement of Const. Bill Crozier and Sgt. Jim Pearsall ? the first two investigators assigned to the case, the use of profiling to define the murderer?s character, forensic study of Cindy?s remains and clothing, a $10,000 reward in 1993, a $50,000 reward in 2006, and the implementation of a computer program used by police to find similarities in murder cases.

Still the killer remains at large.
Jackie says facing Cindy?s murderer in court would have a tremendous cost attached to it because she would have to hear the details of how Cindy?s life ended. But without knowing who did it and why, she can?t put the case behind her. Those loose ends are costing Jackie peace of mind.? You could get closure. You?re no longer wondering. You?re not waiting for the day when it does come out.
? I?m not sure it will ever be solved. It would be nice but the more time that goes by the less chance there is unless someone says something.?Jackie?s first great-grandchild was born last month. It will mean more photographs on the walls in her living room and another child she will spoil with love and attention, as she has her four grandchildren. Life goes on for Jackie and she keeps thoughts of Cindy close to her heart. ? She?s always there. ? We see bits of her in the grandkids ? outgoing, constantly talking, loud,? she says with a smile, pointing out the faces of young girls who sport a similar grin to Cindy?s, captured in dozens of photos around the room.The last 15 years are summed up in just over an hour. There is no news, only old stories folded neatly in Cindy Halliday?s scrapbook, waiting for an ending.

kindheart

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
15 year Timeline of Cindy Halliday

? April 20, 1992 ? Cindy leaves downtown Barrie at 5:30 p.m. and says she is hitchhiking home to Waverley. This is four days after the abduction of Kristen French.
? April 21, 1992 ? Cindy is reported missing.
? Friends and neighbours circulate posters.
? May 3, 1992 ? Cindy?s wallet is discovered by a man collecting bottles in a wooded area off Horseshoe Valley Road, west of Highway 400.
? May 6, 1992 ? OPP?s canine unit is used to assist police in scouring the area. Nothing is discovered.
? May 16, 1992 ? Following the extensive search, a man picking morals near the area finds her red, white and blue jacket. Police say the jacket could not have been overlooked during the search and must have been placed there after.
? June 16, 1992 ? Skeletal remains are found by a man walking his dog in a reforestation area near where her wallet was discovered weeks earlier.
? June 19, 1992 ? Forensic tests indicate the remains belong to Cindy. No time of death can be determined.
? June 24, 1992 ? Cindy?s family and friends gather for a memorial service
? July 5, 1992 ? Clothing, bone and hair found during ground search.
? Sept. 11, 1992 ? An OPP profiler joins the case to create a description of the killer?s personality. She says the murderer could be a man in his late 20s or early 30s, who lives in the area and may have known Cindy. The profile indicates he would have been showing emotional and physical signs of severe personality changes after the murder.
? Oct. 1, 1992 ? Forensic tests determine Cindy was stabbed to death.
? Jan. 10, 1993 ? Barrie Advance, and its sister papers in the region, offers a $10,000 reward for information in the case. By this time, police have interviewed more than 400 people.
? Jan. 15, 1993 ? Sanford Outdoor Advertising in Barrie creates several ?Who killed Cindy?? billboards to advertise the reward and need for information.
? Feb. 1993 ? Val-Pak of Central Ontario, with the help of Sprint Printing, joins the hunt for Cindy?s killer by distributing 32,000 inserts through its business.
? Mid-Feb. 1993 ? Paul Bernardo is arrested and police from many jurisdictions are interested in talking to him about other cases involving young women. It is discovered there is no link to Cindy.
? March 19, 1993 ? Witnesses come forward to say they saw a teen fitting Cindy?s description accept a ride in a 1979-1981, light-coloured Chrysler LeBaron or Dodge Diplomat from the Hasty Market in Midhurst.
? March 31, 1993 ? OPP receives several tips following the release of the car information.
? April 30, 1993 ? An entomologist with the Royal Ontario Museum is asked to examine Cindy?s skull to determine a time of death.
? May 1993 ? Cindy?s remains are released for burial.
? April 16, 2006 ? OPP announce a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.
? September 2006 ? CourtTV airs a segment on Cindy Halliday as part of its Crimes Files Cold Case.
? April 20, 2007 ? 15 years since Cindy?s disappearance.

http://www.midlandmirror.com/midlandmirror/article/35666

kindheart

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:01 PM »
The Secret

It?s been 15 years since Cindy was murdered, and, adding to her family?s pain, is knowing her killer remains at large. A perfect slice of turkey slides off the roasted bird and onto an awaiting plate as family members pass dishes of mashed potatoes, turnip and stuffing around the table.It?s a perfect Easter setting, with one exception.The man sitting at the head of the table and carving the turkey for his family has a deep, dark secret. One he has kept for almost 15 years.

But OPP Det.-Insp. Larry Reesor believes someone else knows his secret. Someone else knows this person killed Cindy Halliday.
? I find it very hard to believe someone out there hasn?t heard or doesn?t know of something that occurred that weekend,? Reesor told The Advance. ?Someone must have had a friend of family member who came home [April 20, 1992] and was acting differently, or had injuries to their hands or face that they couldn?t explain.?

A psychological profile, created by OPP Sgt. Kate Lines in 1993, indicated the murderer ? believed to be a man in his late 20s or early 30s (making him in his early to mid 40s today) ? may have known Cindy and may have been living in the area.Reesor, the man in charge of the Halliday case, believes a tip will lead to an arrest in the 15-year-old murder case.

http://www.midlandmirror.com/midlandmirror/article/35667

kindheart

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »

Date: 28 Jun 05 - 08:58 PM

I remember Cindy...
I knew Cindy. She may be forgotten to the media, but she will never be for me. She used to live in the same community as me (elmvale area)when I was a girl. I remember seeing her at the local store often, I remember her raspy voice and sense of humour. I remember her long brown hair and even her wearing ski jackets. We had this program in public school where the older kids would read with the younger kids called, 'reading buddy's'. Cindy read with my best friend.
The media may forget, and her killer may still be out there, but I will not forget her. People need to honour her and the police need to stay committed to solving her murder. She was young, free and didnt deserve to die. It breaks my heart thinking of what she might have went through. When I see her memory in my head, it breaks my heart that something so horrible ended up being her fate. I will remember her laughing, and I pray for her mother and her friends. Never forget Cindy!

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=81778&messages=76&page=1#1512106

kindheart

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
Hi Chris, is it possible to move this to the Barrie thread? Thank you  ;D

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Done!

Im_new_here2

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 03:29:57 AM »
Its Hard to beleive that one day you go out and maybe rape deffenintly torture and brutally stab a girl to death and then then the next day or day after im not precice on the time line but being able to sit down presumeably with mom dad grandma gramma sis maybe a wife and kids and using a kinfe carve a turkey its tottally unthinkable to me and it makes me wonder was this his first sorry or her first time doing this because it would take some kinda nearve to beavle to sit down for thanks giving and not have your immediat familly notice something very bizare about there sons .relatives whatever the case his behavior.og course this is all ..J,M,O.. and u were correct about the jacket being brought back to the scene the nice guy even washed it for them what a gentle men ,,pffft ..That tells me 2 things one is that she fought and struggled so hard and we know this because she broke her leather strap on her watch trying to get away from him,ao i would think in that kinda frenzy attack he was cut like most knofe attacks they get caught because they are also vut and leave dna behind..but second the fact he washed the jacket might point to that he felt maybe he bled on the jacket and therefore he washed it before returning it..but 16 years ago was what like 91--93 were we publically out with D,N,A yet im not sure seems to me he must of new thats why he washed the jacket.also i wonder why no one noticed any scratches or cuts at the dinner table that thanks giving...anyways just some thoughts on this case as i seen it again on court tv canada.They say she hitch hiked alot to go to the 5 points corner in barrie where there was a billiards hang out right at that corner not from barrie so i dont know what place there talking about its closed now i think but i can imagine some of the characters hanging out there were well shady at best i wonder if someone had followed her home that weekend..

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
Good observation, your scenerio is probably right on.

When did you see this on TV? Was it today? I'll see if I can pick it up, it shows 3 times so I'll see if I can catch it.

kindheart

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »
 Well, i missed that program but thanks for the extra bits of information-we appreciate it. He must live nearby to go through all the trouble of watching the press and then returning to the scene to deposit a fresh, clean, dna free jacket.Technology has been greatly enhanced since this time frame and DNA then not traceable, is now done in a snap, even with micro samples.

I did the mapping for anyone interested and it seems that the police are quite confident that this person was in the Midhurst area that weekend. Here is the coordinates of exactly where she was last seen alive that we can use for google;
 44?26'17.00"N  79?43'57.24"W.

There are other unsolved crimes in this area that i will return to post about once i look at my map sources ;D

These are two other unsolved from "general" area although they are quite a bit of time elapsed between them;I really wish they would re investigate the Christine Jessop Homicide!!! ??? ??? ???

44?14'58.44"N     78?58'40.71"W   Approx. Christine Jessop recovery site.

44? 2'54.36"N   79?27'21.21"W   Approx. Tammy Lamondin last seen site.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:12:02 PM by kindheart »

kindheart

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »
?1979-1981, light-coloured Chrysler LeBaron or Dodge Diplomat?

Examples of the cars of interest in this case that picked her up in Midhurst, this to help jog memories;

Note that dodge Diplomats were used by Police back then as well, so think cop car but civilian. Like borrowed from Mom or Dad, brother etc.. while visiting on turkey weekend, going out for a cruise?