Author Topic: HAROLD JAMES 'BUSTER' SLAUNWHITE, MURDER SEPTEMBER 12, 2006  (Read 15354 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
HAROLD JAMES 'BUSTER' SLAUNWHITE, MURDER SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
On September 12, 2006 Harold James "Buster" Slaunwhite was found murdered in his residence at 97 Brook Street, Dominion, Cape Breton.  The Nova Scotia Government is offering a $50,000.00 reward for the information leading to the arrest and conviction of person or persons responisbile for the murder of Harold James "Buster" Slaunwhiate.

Information can be called into Cape Breton Regional Police Major Crime Section at:

(902) 563-5120 or the Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes - 1-888-710-9090.

I've added this here from the Crime Stoppers Cape Breton site, just to enable anyone wanting to discuss this matter here and maybe it will help in some way for the Slaunwhite family. Prayers and thoughts go the family of Mr. Slaunwhite. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:46:02 AM by capeheart »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: HAROL JAMES 'BUSTER' SLAUNWHITE, MURDER SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »
Police still seeking information in Slaunwhite murder 
The Cape Breton Post

DOMINION ? Police held a press conference today outside the house where murder victim Harold Slaunwhite resided, at 97 Brook St.
Sgt. Ken O?Neill of the major crime section of the Cape Breton Regional Police Service confirmed several young persons are of interest to police as their investigation proceeds.
?This area has not been excluded in our lengthy investigation and also what?s of interest to us in this investigation are young males and young persons,? said O?Neill.
?What we?d like to do - especially with maybe a parent or parents of young adults or young persons - is to ask them to engage in conversations about the Slaunwhite homicide and report any of that information they may feel is important to the Cape Breton Regional Police Service, Crime Stoppers or any police officer who works within our agency. If it is appropriate information, it may help solve the case.?
Family members discovered the body of the 82-year-old Second World War veteran in his residence, Sept. 10, 2006.
Last Thursday, police arrested a 19-year old male - formerly of Dominion and now of Glace Bay - identified only as a person of interest in the investigation. O?Neill said the individual was released Friday night, without charges.

LOCAL NEWS       

Last updated at 3:07 PM on 14/01/08   

Police still seeking information in Slaunwhite murder 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
here's the late gentleman's pic

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: HAROLD JAMES 'BUSTER' SLAUNWHITE, MURDER SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »
Thanks, Lost, for the nice update on Mr. Slaunwhite. I know originally they thought it was young people that could be invovled in this homicide. I didn't know there was a police conference, I missed the news on that. Will check out the news today. They arrested someone and let them go, well we're getting somewhere, maybe he had some vital information and he was not involved himself, but knew who was or was in the company of others.  Sure hope this is solved soon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:59:48 PM by capeheart »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
Actually Cape; although police, to my knowledge, are still quietly pursuing this, the information you and I have posted all goes back 2 years.  There is nothing new.  There are definitely people in the area who know exactly who did this, I have no doubt; but they are scared to come forward. 
Actually, ever since Clayton's murder and the mind-boggling blatent cover-up, it's almost impossible to get people to talk about what they know on anything unlawful going on.  Needless to say, people around here realize they can't trust the police with anything.  You open your mouth about any crime here, you just might be the next target because nobody knows, anymore, WHO'S involved with what, and how far the corruption goes!

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:15:22 AM »
I found this old article ---- elaborates on this case.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index.cfm?sid=47296&sc=145

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »
Just a little update, the police spoke on the radio this a.m. about Harold Slaunwhite's murder in Dominion. They indicated that they were actively investigating and they are following leads from Crime Stoppers. They are urging the public to be forthcoming with any news, to call crime stoppers and give any information no matter how slight it may seem to them. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:35:55 PM by capeheart »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »
I feel very sad that this case has not been solved. Someone in Dominion definitly knows who killed Harold. This crime was committed in a small community and possibly more then one person was involved. The police should once again give a plea out there to have this crime solved. And also indicate that if someone knows something and are withholding evidence, they too can be charged. If they know anything and feel they are safe from prosecution, they are wrong. They could be in the cell next to the person who killed Harold. RIP, Harold. You should not have died this way, being a veteran and serving our country. More should be done to solve Harold's crime. I say the people of Dominion have to group together on this one and I think if they did, this case would be solved. :o :o :o :o :o :o

stella

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
its funny how lately this is all of think about . i wonder why noone will come forward with something ,anything . its along time waiting and wondering who done this to my grandfather .i have lost hope of ever knowing till the person or persons are on they,re deathbed . but i definetly appreciate the comments on here and the show of support thank you

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
Stella; I always think about how your grandfather's case seems to have fallen to the wayside.  That is a sad scenario as happening to a quiet law-abiding citizen ... a war vet to boot!  This just goes to show you how afraid and helpless the average person is when dealing with the side effects of lawlessness, bullies, murderers, and corruption - there are so many of them out there doing these things repeatedly and escaping the consequences, that it seems "out of control"....  and it seems that for a small place, Cape Breton can match the big cities with crime and corruption. 

God help us all.  I wish somebody with an ounce of "good" left in them ... who may have been involved in this, would come forward and clear their conscience ... for their own sake if not for Harold and his loved ones.  Surely at least one, if not two of them are just young people who got caught up in the action .... maybe now scared, ashamed, and embarrassed for their mistake.  I know if they would own up for their own part, the people of Dominion and the authorities would give them some consideration; and this person/s could get his life back.... away from the lowlifes.  That's my thought on this.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5486.0 to Melissa Dawn Peacock?  Her mother's name and Dad's last name was also Slaunwhite.
Any relation?

JB
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:55:43 PM by jellybean »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
Well this young lady lived in the Halifax area. No way of knowing if she was related to the Slaunwhite's. I would think maybe not, because it was never mentioned on here and someone would have possibly known that. Slaunwhite is a bit familiar name around here. I don't think there is any connection here with that. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I thought Peacock's mother had a slightly different spelling to her name...

Nish

PandaBearKitty

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:43:58 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dominion-veteran-s-murder-investigation-active-9-years-later-1.3222237

Dominion veteran's murder investigation active 9 years later
Harold James "Buster" Slaunwhite found dead in his home on Sept. 10, 2006
By Peggy MacDonald, CBC News Posted: Sep 10, 2015 11:37 AM AT Last Updated: Sep 10, 2015 11:37 AM AT

Nova Scotia police say progress is being made in the investigation into the murder of Harold James "Buster" Slaunwhite in Cape Breton, who was killed nine years ago today.

Family members found Slaunwhite, 82, dead in his home on Brook Street in Dominion on Sept. 10, 2006. He lived alone.

Cape Breton Regional Police and Nova Scotia RCMP said the investigation remains active, due in large part to people coming forward with tips.

In the early days of the investigation, police learned that on the day before he was found dead, Slaunwhite was seen out, driving his car. The Second World War veteran was known to be in good health.

Police have not revealed how he died.

A hangout for young people was located not far from Slaunwhite's home, police said, and several young people were persons of interest in the investigation. In 2008, a 19-year-old man was arrested and released 24 hours later without being charged.

The Slaunwhite murder is part of the Nova Scotia Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes Program. Awards of up to $150,000 are offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for certain unsolved crimes.

Investigators have also established a phone line dedicated to calls about the Slaunwhite murder: 902-563-5574.