Author Topic: Frances Merasty | Murdered (Dec. 4, 1993)  (Read 10156 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Frances Merasty | Murdered (Dec. 4, 1993)
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:03:13 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2008/10/09/merasty-death.html

Regina police say they have not closed their investigation into the death of a young woman who was found on a frozen creek and succumbed to hypothermia nearly 15 years ago.

Frances Merasty, 18, was found lying on the icy surface of Regina's Wascana Creek by two snowmobilers on Dec. 4, 1993.

Paramedics and hospital emergency room physicians worked to revive her lifeless body and after more than three hours of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation were able to get a heart beat. But it stopped, and Merasty died.

A police investigation determined the teen had been drinking heavily at a house party in Regina's north central neighbourhood and was last seen at about 3:30 a.m.

How she wound up on the creek, at the edge of Regina's city limits about five kilometres from the house, has remained a mystery to police.

Police noted she was not dressed for the cold, clad only in jeans, a tee-shirt and a flannel jacket. One of her shoes was off and found nearby.

Sharon Merasty told CBC News she believes her daughter may have been the victim of foul play.

"I think someone took her over there and threw her away, left her there to die," Merasty said.

Frances Merasty died even though hospital staff managed to get her heart beating after she was found on a December night in 1993. (CBC) On Wednesday Regina police issued a public plea for information on the case.

Elizabeth Popowich, spokesperson for the police, said the 18 hours between Merasty's last sighting and the time she was found is a key part of their investigation.

"There's still that period of time where we don't know if anybody saw her, or spoke to her, or had contact with her. And maybe the reason we don't know is that nobody had contact with her in that time. But we're trying to find out," Popowich told CBC News.

"It would be reassuring to be able to provide some answers so we can with certainty say exactly how and why Frances Merasty came to be in northwest Regina, by herself, out in the cold."

Police said an autopsy found no evidence of physical violence and that Merasty died of hypothermia from exposure to the cold.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Merasty | Murdered (Dec. 4, 1993)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »
so Chris; where was her home and how far out was this creek?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
The article did not give any of those details and I tried to find them online, but nothing more available.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »
you would expect there to be some arm of law or media that would have that would have felt the need to publicize this better or ask more questions.  It would appear that she had nobody to speak up on her behalf.
I certainly hope that anybody visiting this site who recognizes her name and/or the situation, will start bringing it up to others and not let this young life be wasted and forgotten, as though she meant nothing to this world.
Whoever reads this site, we care!  We would question her death! We want to know what could have happened to hear.  We want the world to know that she did matter and this shouldn't have happened.
RIP Frances.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
That actually what is happening here. The police in Regina and Saskatoon for that matter, are making an effort to solve old cases. They have done a good job, we've had a number of old cases solved this year.

The one I hope gets solved is that Tamara Keepness case and the one in Estavan with Courtney.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »
Those would be my two top picks too Chris, I really thought the Courtney case was moving along for a while there and now haven't heard anything for a while. I think of it often.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:28:26 AM »
I think it is moving along now that the family members are talking. Clearly they all have the same interest here, but I think there was suspicion and mis trust aumung them that prevented facts from reaching the police. It is a huge mystery for sure, but one I think will be solved. It was so great to see those folks work it out here.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
I trust that we all hope and pray they all get solved, they are all "top picks" not one more important than the other!

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:39 AM »
Indeed they are. But children missing or murdered make me more upset.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »
I spent most of my summer vacation, time and resources and currently most of my free time on the matters of missing and murdered people at both the local and national levels.  None is more important than the other to me.  The priority, of course, is my own family member who is missing, but I would stop and drop everything if I could assist with any missing person situation.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
Hi Raisin Pie, I can't speak for Chris of course, but I certainly don't hear him saying that he thinks one missing person is more important than the other. All of us on here are concerned about all missing people, but children, in their innocence, hold a special place for a lot of us.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
true for sure Deb; no one spreads his hurt for these victims any fairer than Chris. ..well honestly, it's been my observation, that this is the case with most of you diehards on here.  You ache equally for them all.  I feel that way too.  More often than not, I start reading new ones, and my heart aches for these and I don't start posting my feelings because I'm not able to understand the area's, etc. enough yet.  I always wish my western geography were a little better....it does make quite a difference when one can visualize the area, the people, the lifestyle, and the social aspects of where these things happen.  ...but I never miss a day noticing how much you regulars on here feel the same drive and concern for every case.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
DebbieC, in a previous post Chris refers to 2 cases that he hopes will soon be solved, then  you add that they are your "top picks".... if members are selecting one case over the others, then that is placing  importance over another.  If there are members here who attended the missing women's conference in Regina in August 2008, who joined the Walk4Justice as it went across Canada, who organised search and rescue in the mud and rain and snow, who wait by the phone for any kind of news on a missing family member, who attend regular meetings of missing/murdered women, who attended the Walk4Justice rally on Parliament Hill in September, who attend court to support the mother & family of a murdered young woman, who attend the funerals of the young murdered innocent women... if this is you, then you know that there are no "top picks". 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »
Maybe that was a bad choice of words, as all of us on here are very concerned about all of the missing, and I think that is obvious.  What I did say, however was that children, in their innocence, hold a special place for a lot of us.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »
raisinpie; seriously, there are some of you on here and also out there (not on here) who go so far and strive so hard to solve murders, support victims and their families, and fight for justice in general - words just aren't suffice to discribe your strength and dedication.  I assure you, however, if I lived out west instead of this "hellhole" part Cape Breton with it's years of corruption and cover-up, which authorities refuse to address, I would have been front and centre on that walk.... old as I am..... and probably all mouth and fired up along the way.    You are a group, which I have observed during my short time adjusting to this site, who interests, efforts, and dedication is second to none.  I'm sure there isn't anybody who hasn't noticed this!  I hope there isn't anybody who doesn't pray for, and feel thankful for, you specific people.

Being as it is, I'm sure when any of us use expressions like "top picks" or "that would be my picks" , it would bother you to no avail.  Understandable.  ....and people use those expressions all the time ... I'm sure I do too - regarding happenings in my family and personal life ... yet, I always know when I use a poor choice of words like that, my family knows that it goes without saying, I love them all equally but sometimes my attention gets drawn to one of them, or specific matters among us/them, that at different points in time, brings them to the "forefront" in my mind.  It doesn't mean I care about the others more, and their/our relationship any less. 

There are always times on this site when a topic or what happens to one victim or another brings me to tears.... then I move on and it's another I am hurting for.  ... but all said and done, they are equally victims that we all agonize over which is why we are always adding new ones.  The fact that at time, certain one are in the forefront in some peoples mind, bears only on the fact that for whatever reason, that specific victim or case has been weighing heavily on one person or another.

I could never do all you are doing, so therefore, I feel for you that you ache to think one vicim at any given time could mean less than another.  I guess that's what drives you and those like you, and makes you what you are -irreplaceable.