Author Topic: Katherine Janeiro - October 10, 1994 - Age 20 - Murdered - Barrie  (Read 34270 times)

Desespere

Katherine Janeiro
COD: Stabbed
DOB:
Date found: October 10, 1994
Location found: Barrie, ON
Date last seen: October 9, 1994
Location last seen: Barrie, ON

Katherine Janeiro - October 10, 1994 - Age 20 - Murdered - Barrie - (Occurrence # 94-1676155) On Monday October 10, 1994 at approximately 7:48pm the Barrie Police Service received a call to attend 258 Dunlop Street West, apartment 102 in the City of Barrie regarding a report of a deceased female. Investigation determined that Katherine Janeiro, age 20 had died as a result of multiple stab wounds.
The Barrie Police Service along with the Ontario Provincial Police had during the past 11 years conducted an intensive investigation into this homicide that still remains unsolved.
The continued developments in DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) testing at the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto have resulted in Police resubmitting a number of exhibits from the crime scene for further testing. Police continue to investigate this homicide in the hopes of finding the killer of Katherine Janeiro.
Anyone with information can contact the Barrie Police Service Major Crime Unit (ph. 725-7025) or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Edited to add link: http://www.police.barrie.on.ca/?q=node/160
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:32:23 PM by Desespere »

kindheart

Re: Katherine Janeiro - Barrie, ON - Murdered - 1994
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »
Katherine Janeiro homicide

Barrie police hope science will help catch a vicious killer, 13 years after a young mother was found brutally murdered in her home. Katherine Janeiro, 20, was found dead in her basement apartment at 258 Dunlop St. W., the evening of Oct. 10, 1994. The mother of a two-year-old daughter had been stabbed multiple times. Investigators are relying on continued developments in DNA testing to lead them to a suspect. Several exhibits have been resubmitted for testing at the Centre for Forensic Sciences, and additional evidence has been sent to a private laboratory in Thunder Bay. "The bottom line, this is a forensics case," Sgt. Dave Goodbrand said. "There are a lot of crimes solved years later based on scientific advancements. "There have been no arrests (in this case), and people may be complacent," he added, "but, with advances in technology, they have reason to be concerned."

From The Orillia packet news. 0ctober 28th, 2007

wemissapril

• View Profile
Its tough its been 14 years and still no arrest I hope the family is ok, our prayers go out to the family

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
IT does at least sound like they have DNA, so one day, they should be able to match this to a person.

Phrend

• View Profile
Re: Katherine Janeiro - I AM GUARDIAN OF HER DAUGHTER - DAWN now 17
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
Hi

My name is Barbara, and I am the current Guardian of Dawn Nelson who is the daughter of Katherine Janerio

Currently Dawn is 17 and still would like information about her mother's murder (death).  She was almost 3 years old when her mother was murdered.  2 years and 10 months old

Please if anyone has any information that is relevant to this case, please message me ASAP

I have been in contact with the Barrie Police Department - whom will be getting back to me on Monday in regards to this case.  I have notified them that I have Katherine Janerio's daughter living with me....

Dawn has turned into a lovely young lady - she was 3 years old when her mother was murdered.

It is my pleasure to have Dawn as a member of our family - and I get to be her surrogate mother which i am very proud about :)

Please any and all information regarding Katherine Janeiro will be appreciated - whether it has to do with the investigation or not.  Even personal information about Katherine Janerio will be sincerely appreciated as her daughter Dawn would like to know more about her biological mother.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this

Please message me or send any information to

phrend@care2.com

Thank you
Phrend :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:23:06 PM by Phrend »

Phrend

• View Profile
Re: Katherine Janeiro ? October 10, 1994 ? Age 20 ? Murdered - Barrie
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 01:08:18 PM »
Katherine Janeiro's

DOB: July 17

and other required information in regards to Katherine Janeiro that is required or can be supplied - Please contact me IMMEDIATELY

Thank you very much for your help

Phrend

I'm going to find out the year - dawn's memory from early childhood isn't perfect - but then again she was only 2-3 when this even happened

Sleuth

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
It is a difficult life roll to live when a person is the survivor of a murdered loved one. My positive thoughts and prayers go out to Dawn that eventually her mind can rest and her heart healed when her Mother's murderer is caught and sentenced. A favourite poem of mine; from me to you Dawn.

What though the radiance
which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass,
of glory in the flower,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;

-- William Wordsworth

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
I am glad her daugher is doing well with y'all, I hope her mothers case will get solved soon.

Unfortunetly, we do not have any more info. The police should be able to give you everything you need. Maybe you can get an update and ask them if they can take another look since so much time has passed.

Thanks

Chris

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Katherine Janeiro - October 10, 1994 - Age 20 - Murdered - Barrie
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:14:48 AM »
AngelOfMySorrows: I know who you are, so please return to talk to us. (my username, Sleuth, is for a reason).

what the hell is that supposed to mean ? you don't know me you nothing about me.NOTHING ! and i am not saying anything.i'm not going to wind up dead like her so you can just forget it.i don't know nothing about anything.for all i know you could be the one that killed her or know the people who killed her.just leave me alone.and dont bother to come looking for me either i will warn you right now.

No one here is coming after you, I am very sorry about the poor way of communicating.

I do hope, you will at least tell me why you are interested in this case. Did you know Katherine? Was she your friend?

We want nothing more then to see whomever did this answer for the crime.

Thanks,

Chris

Sleuth

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »
AngelOfMySorrows: There is nothing to be afraid of. Why don't you return and explain your previous statement?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:55:55 AM by Sleuth »

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »
To get back on track and cast a wide net:

http://www.opp.ca/Intranetdev/groups/public/documents/investigative/opp_001937.pdf

I have heard it said that stabbing is 'personal' in the sense that you have to be physicaly very close to someone to effect the stabbing.  In that case blood from the victim could be transferred to the killer.  In the little I know blood is transferred and can be transferred in large amounts, especially if it was a particularly vicious stabbing.

If there was a lot of blood transfer then anyone seeing the perpetrator or his/her clothing afterward might notice an unusual amount of blood without a reasonable explanation.  That means there could be a witness.

Since the OPP poster says that a number of people went back to her apartment after the bar, then the chances are that the some of those were intoxicated on alcohol or drugs.  Even if the killer were in a blackout at the time, I would guess that blood transfer, auxilary cuts on themselves in combination with news reports at the time could indicate that they have knowledge that they did it.

If there was a group of people there that knew each other then chances are that one or some of them have an idea who the perpetrator is.

I wonder what sort of DNA evidence they have.  If it is auxilary blood from the perptrator, you would think that they would compare it to those in the group if they know who those persons are. 

Perplexing with the little info give so far...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:37:45 AM »
$ 50,000 REWARD
The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the murder ofKatherine JANEIRO.

On Monday, October 10, 1994, Katherine JANEIRO, aged 20 years, was found murdered in her apartment at258 Dunlop Street West in BARRIE, Ontario. It was later determined that she had died as a result of multiple stab wounds.

Investigation has shown that Ms. JANEIRO had spent the evening of October 9, 1994, attending bars in downtown BARRIE and that she had a number of visitors to her apartment later that night.

Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for the death of Katherine JANEIRO should communicate immediately with the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers.

File #955-10-105-2001

This reward will be apportioned as deemed just by the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services for the Province of Ontario and the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Date: March 14, 2007
Telephone: (705) 329-6950
Facsimile: (705) 329-6077

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »
Since the OPP poster says that a number of people went back to her apartment after the bar, then the chances are that the some of those were intoxicated on alcohol or drugs.  Even if the killer were in a blackout at the time, I would guess that blood transfer, auxilary cuts on themselves in combination with news reports at the time could indicate that they have knowledge that they did it.

If there was a group of people there that knew each other then chances are that one or some of them have an idea who the perpetrator is.

I agree with Shwa. The police must have a suspect and are just waiting to prove it.

I focused on this qoute by the investigor

"There have been no arrests (in this case), and people may be complacent," he added, "but, with advances in technology, they have reason to be concerned."

I'm sure this case will be solved. The person(s) responsble should be worried. I hope if lots of people were there, they will take the $50,000 and tip off the police.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:14 AM »
Yeah Chris, that is an interesting quote.  The police officer says "people may be complacent."  That would suggest at least more than one person knows something.  It also suggests that should those others know something and not come forward, when the scat hits the fan they are going to be in the frontline along with the actual murderer...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 12:34:48 AM »
Yes I totally understand now.