Author Topic: Mistie Murray - May 31, 1995 - Age 16 - Missing - Goderich  (Read 43610 times)

Desespere

Mistie Murray
DOB: 1978/10/28
Missing
Date last seen: May 31, 1995
Location last seen: Goderich, ON
Teen

Mistie Murray - May 31, 1995 - Age 16 - Missing - Goderich - Mistie was last seen wearing red shorts with black winter style boots and possibly wearing a dark green nylon jacket with ?Mistie? on the right sleeve, ?Flag? on the left sleeve, and ?S.D.H.S. Girls Band? on the left chest area. Mistie wore rings on every finger and has five piercings in the right ear and two in the left, but was not wearing any earrings when last seen.
Also Known As: Jean Marie OLDFIELD, Nickname: Mistron Height: 5 feet, 3 inches - 5 feet, 4 inches Weight: 115 pounds Hair: Reddish Brown Eyes: Greyish/Green Characteristics: Space between two upper front teeth and mole on right cheek.
The Ontario Provincial Police conducted extensive air, water and ground searches in and around Goderich in June 1995. The ground searches were carried out with the assistance of Goderich firefighters and a search of the shoreline in the same month was completed with the help of the Canadian Coast Guard. None of these searches found any evidence relating to Mistie Murray?s disappearance. There have been no credible sightings of Mistie since May 31, 1995. It is very likely that Mistie was the victim of foul play on or about that date.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murray_mistie.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:06:07 PM by Desespere »

DigDig

• View Profile
Re: Mistie Murray - May 31, 1995 ? Age 16 ? Missing ? Goderich
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
Desespere,
It is amazing that no replies have been forthcoming on this most interesting and tragic disappearance.
I remember reading what you posted, in what I seem to remember was a OPP bulletin.
I  hestitate at these words, quote: There have been no credible sightings of Mistie since May 31, 1995. It is very likely that Mistie was the victim of foul play on or about that date. unquote

This is obvious OPP rhetoric. I will not go as far as saying it is an outright lie but...

There were loads of credible sightings of Mistie after this date, some confirmed sightings(by people who knew her), mostly unconfirmed.
- What about the boy who saw her at Tim Hortons?
- What about Mistie's girlfriend who saw Mistie at the bargain store in Goderich
- What about the child counsel worker who saw and talked to a crying girl strongly resembling Mistie at Masonville Mall, London?
-What about the driver on the Stoneybrook bus who picked up a girls strongly resembling Mistie at Adelaide and Dundas Sts, Londion?
These sightings were within a week of Mistie's disappearance

- What about the two off-duty police officers who saw a girl  resembling Mistie begging on a sidewalk in Toronto?

It looks to this observer that Mistie's trail  went  from Goderich to Clinton to London to Toronto. These sightings although not 100% solid(they were mostly unconfirmed), are  plenty good enough for investigative purposes. With a 13 year cold trail, it is questionable whether they will be of any value today.  Police dragged their heels on this one after the acquittal of Mistie's father. They were unable to accept that they had made numerous mistakes in the search for Mistie and in the ensuing investigation of her father.

Still more obscure facts suggest that Mistie might have ended up in Western Canada.

- What about
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:54:29 AM by DigDig »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
after the acquittal of Mistie's father

Waht was he aquited of?

Syiena

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
2nd degree murder I believe.

I used to live near Goderich, and it was a big story back then. 

My friend started to do her own research, and found someone on facebook that had a similar name (used Mistie's old name).  She reported it to the police a few weeks ago, and got a response from the investigator that they were going to check it out.  Haven't heard any responses yet.

After talking to some old neighbours, some people are still convinced it was her step-father that did it.   He was out in the water with a "girl", and then came back with just himself.  That made the police become convinced that it was the step-father.   He was acquitted but some people still think it was him.

I've always had some interest in this case, and would seriously like to bring some closure to the family.

DigDig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
after the acquittal of Mistie's father

Waht was he aquited of?
Chris, He was acquitted of murdering Mistie

DigDig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »
Syiena,

Did you know that her family closed the book on Mistie several years ago? I believe around  2004.
After an unsuccessful attempt at identifying a homeless woman in BC, they gave up hope of ever finding Mistie.
The family then held a service at the catholic church in Stratford and gave Mistie over into God's hands.
After that time it has been totally quiet about Mistie.

Some people will believe what they want even if the evidence is there as solid as a rock that the father had nothing to do with it. He and his family have suffered enough  for this travesty. Mistie is a missing person. Whether or not she is dead now, nobody knows.
To get some level of peace, the Murray family had to get a court order to prevent the police from mentioning the acquittal (but that the investigation was still ongoing), every time they  made up a missing persons poster.
Therefor, we should also leave that part of it alone. It would be more productive to  attempt to find out what happened to Mistie.

Syiena..Do you  have any suggestions as to what could be done at this late date?

By the way, have you heard mention the last name ****in connection with Mistie?

edited to remove name
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:42:26 AM by debbiec »

Syiena

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »
Hi Dig Dig,

You're right, we should leave that part alone.  I was just trying to give some details to what happened etc, and I actually did not know the family closed the book on Mistie.  Thank you for letting me know.

I haven't heard the name **** I have heard ****. And that's the name my friend found on facebook, I saw the picture and I could see why she was alarmed, the resemblance was uncanny, but I'm not sure if it was her. 

I'm not sure what can be done so many years later since she went missing.   I am clueless, I feel helpless and I just wondered is there something we can do?

**edited to remove name

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:44:38 AM by debbiec »

DigDig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
Syiena,

She also had a nickname 'Mistron'

Kind of eerie what you say about the Facebook listing. Would you have any way of confirming/denying if there is a connection? Do you have facebook? Would your friend be able to help?

Check your messages.

Thanks!

**edited to remove name
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:47:37 AM by debbiec »

Syiena

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:54:58 AM »
well, my friend emailed the police (she got the email address from the Mistie's missing poster?), and she didn't receive any response for about a week or two.  Then she got a response saying that this tip was being forwarded to the investigator in charge, and that they would go and check it out.  She hasn't heard anything back from them since.  She didn't figure she would, but she's curious and I am too, to find out if they ended up contacting this person.

This person that's on facebook, was under the London, Ontario network.  I'm actually going to look right now, and see if she's changed her picture etc.

I'm sorry, she actually found someone by the name of , not Jean.    She's changed her picture, the picture she had last time, was a close up, and it really looked like her!  unfortunately, the picture was too small to be able to determine if this person had a mole on her right cheek, as well as the gap in her teeth.

I will email my friend and see if she's heard anything from the Police. 

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:55:26 AM by Chris »

DigDig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »
Syiena,
So typical of the Police. They are there to have you feed them info but they don't respond to your queries. That's the way it has to be, so they  don't contaminate the investigation. I can see their point but it is frustrating for the people who spend their own time researching these cases, and are hardly ever able to find out whether they are right...and continue that line of research, or wrong and abandon it and move on to another aspect.

Anyways...
'Donna' rang a bell with me. I checked and  this is why. Mistie's birth mother's name is Darlene.
Don't get your hopes up though. If Mistie was alive and wanted to be found, she would have  done something less covert than go on facebook under that name. And...if she doesn't want to be found, she certainly wouldn't go on face book at all.

The name isn't that uncommon...

And of course we have to  consider the other alternative as the most likely by now, 13 years after the fact...
..Just so we're not setting ourselves up for disappointment

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:49:04 AM by debbiec »

Syiena

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
Sorry, I have been off and on of the computer for the last little while (in bed fighting off the flu!)

I understand the Police could possibly jeopardize or hurt their case if they were tell us whether the tip was good or false.   It is very frustrating though, because we find something that has a slight possibility that it could be a good tip, we will never ever know because we're not told (or we will find out on the news or something).  But honestly, I will take what I can get.  If I give them my info, tips and it somehow gives them a good lead on Mistie, so be it, I will take that.

Yeah that's what I figured too DigDig.  If she didn't want to be found, why go on facebook.  For crying out loud lol, I'm on there, and every single person I have known has added me on facebook (not that's a bad thing) but if you want to be hidden from the world, you just don't join facebook.

Was it ever known if the investigation involved a Psychic?  I was curious as I didn't see much on the internet referencing to a Psychic.

Taken from http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1221dfon.html

"In the next two weeks there were at least 20 reported sightings of Mistie, or a teenager who looked like her, in London. She was reported seen near Dundas and Glebe streets, hanging out with tough-looking street kids"

I used to live in London back in 90s, but it's been a while, let me ask you this DigDig.

In your opinion, how easy is it to go un noticed if you were a street kid? 

in TO, I often see the same ones all the time, AND in different areas as well.  I have spoken to some, and I will never forget their faces.  I just wonder if that was the same case in London?

If the quoted statement is true, could this mean she ran into trouble somewhere in London?   But there was an eyewitness who thought they saw Mistie in TO. 

Ugh so frustrating.  But I will continue to go over the clues/tips because honestly, there could be something out there, we just haven't seen or discovered it yet.

Syiena

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
I just saw a picture of Mistie that was age enhanced to Age 28, and I'm sorry but the resemblance with that picture, and the "lady" I saw on Facebook, they're twins!  It's just unbelievable.

Syiena

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
Murray was last seen leaving her school.

She was seen at school that day attending classes and visiting the nurse.

Mistie left behind a packed suitcase and, on her dresser $200 and dozens of photos, the prelude of what was supposed to have been a trip to Halifax to meet the family of the woman who had given her up for adoption when she was two.

Between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. that day, Mistie placed a phone call from her high school to the elementary school where her mother taught. But she didn't leave a message. That was the last known time Mistie would try to communicate with her parents.

The day after Mistie was last reported seen at home, a friend spoke to her in the Bargain Shop in Goderich.

Three teenagers who knew Mistie told police they thought they saw her walking the next day, June 2, along Highway 8 from Goderich to Clinton.

And another teen, a member of the same marching band as Mistie, said she spotted her in the crowd at the Clinton Fair on June 3, wearing a green Seaforth band jacket.

In the next two weeks there were at least 20 reported sightings of Mistie, or a teenager who looked like her, in London. She was reported seen near Dundas and Glebe streets, hanging out with tough-looking street kids.

Where was she from May 31 (when she went missing), to June 3 (when she spotted by a fellow band member). 

Came September, dozens of people told police they'd spotted Mistie in nearby communities during the month of June.  However, the Police had another theory at that time and that was Steve (who was acquitted).

I want to know why these sitings were not taken more seriously! This is just pissing me off more and more now

Syiena

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
My theory?

This is purely speculation but I think

these sitings were credible, I think she did run off at the beginning but then she ran into pure evilness and has passed on.

I hope I'm wrong though. 

Syiena

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
As well, I'm going to start going over any articles/internet sites and go over the information again. 

I have already asked my Grandma for newspapers (she's a pack rat and has kept the local newspapers from many many years ago), (lol). 

As well, I have a couple of friends in the Legal field, and I'm going to ask them their opinions on this case.  We need becareful though, the family has closed the book on this tragic story, so I don't want to be bumping heads with anyone.