Author Topic: Emily Stauffer (14) Murdered | Edson | Ross Edward Kleman Charged  (Read 135457 times)

D1

Re: Emily Stauffer (14) Murdered | Edson (sept 28 2008)
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 02:15:19 PM »
Why not charge her? The police have gone even further and are insinuating that people are upset and may engage in viglantism against this woman, thus justifying the withholding of her identity and protecting her from public recognition.
Something smells and does not auger well for this case being solved!!

When a case starts out like this some reminders are in order for people providing information to the RCMP. err on the side of caution..

quote from http://mindytran.com/rcmpsanctionedkillers.htm

If you were an eye witness to an event:
Before speaking with the police, write out a witness statement in your own handwriting. Have it witnessed and notarized. Leave it with at least one trusted confidential contact in a secure location. The statement could also be left with someone in a sealed registered unopened envelope. Tell your contact not to speak about the statement or it's contents. Give your contact specific instructions on what to do with it, (go to media etc) should anything happen to you. If possible, take a lawyer or someone with you when providing a statement to Police. If the Police ask you if any one else knows about the information you are giving, let them know that there are others (besides your lawyer) who have copies of your statement. Warn those people to be aware and to take precautions themselves if required. Do not divulge who your contacts are (not even to your lawyer).  (this is not legal advice)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:29:19 PM by D1 »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
good point Adrian; Maureen has copies of all the info. regarding Clayton's case hidden at several locations - sadly, that ran into a bit of money.  They actually had to buy a commercial copier 17 years ago, in order to make copies of everything and send it to other areas for safe keeping for reasons as you suggest.

aunty jay

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 07:56:28 PM »
Why do people think it is helpful to report inacurate or misleading information to police when something bad happens instead of looking for Emily's killer they were looking for a man in the area who may or may not still be there.  Other communities who should have been on the alert for this man or woman, are not because they think they are still in the Edson area because of the second attack which did not happen.  She should be charged especially if another person is attacked close by that she got in the way of stopping this person.  My thoughts go out to Emily's family and friends.  I know Edson is a very small community and Everyone is probably connected to her family some
way.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »
Before I even heard the news on here today that the attack of the second female was, I thought a phoney complaint. So my thoughts were correct, I felt that this woman wanted attention, imagine what a sick human being to do this. My thoughts and prayers go out to Emily Stauffer's family at this tragedy. I am with some of you guys on here, I believe that she knew her killer and she recognized him. Those boys that saw the attack should have done something, especially where they were there, they could have saved her life. I don't know how old they were, but I think they will definitely remember this. I have no idea of how large Ebson is. Like you say, she may have planned to meet him or he knew she walked these trails. I don't know where these girls get all the nerve, I definitely would not walk in any woods without another individual, possibly my dad or my brother or two close friends. Nobody ever knows who is out there. I felt that the second complaint was a phoney, because who in their right minds would go for a walk in the woods when just a couple of days before someone was murdered. I don't think the attack was random, I think someone knew her movements and may not live only a couple of blocks from her, right in the same area. I sure hope that the police are hot on the clues for this case and solve it quickly. Maybe the boys could be hypnotized to see if they remember anything, just a though.  I have no idea how old they are. Condolences to Emily's family, once again. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
Edson is a small town Cape, only about 8,000 residents I think. I just keep wondering when people are going to realize that just because something hasn't happened yet in their community, doesn't mean it won't. I also would not walk alone, however we have a beautiful river front trail system in our community and it is visible at some points if you are on the highway. As I am driving past I often see women alone and I just shake my head. We have yet to have anything happen on the trail but I would never take a chance. We do have missing and unsolved murders in our small city too. I was shocked the first day that I read about Emily's murder and the account said that someone was not allowing their daughter to walk her dog there until a suspect was in custody. As if I would ever allow my daughter to go there alone again. This should serve as a wakeup call to all of us. I often hear people complaining on the news about a registered sex offender that is moving into the area. Do people think that is the only threat? We should be vigilant in watching our children wether we know a sex offender lives next door or not. We should also be talking to our children about it so that they can learn to be aware of the risks and we should be aware for our own safety too.

D1

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »
This is shaping up to be a really strange case. A young girl is murdered yet there is no sign of sexual assault or similar motive. Another woman reports a phoney description of a suspect at a critical time in the investigation. The police are sidetracked from the original suspect, a person of interest was being sought driving an off road type quad. Where did he go? How hard is it to follow tracks from one of these? As time goes on the prospects for a quick arrest are disappearing rapidly.

Who knows if this second attack was really even reported by this woman and if it were, did someone put her up to it?

There are others on this site who have experienced obstruction in their own personal quests for justice, most did not recognize it for what it was until it was too late. If they had the chance to start over what would they suggest or have done differently?

!) Don't trust the police with everything! Request that people providing information to the RCMP also disclose the same to an independent source for collection.

Others may have more suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:55:16 PM by D1 »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 03:04:43 PM »
Di and Debbie, both really good comments on this case. Nobody should ever walk alone in an isolated wooded area, even though it looks so serene and beautiful, because all people are not serene and beautiful either. What is with this woman with the phoney complaint. Do you suppose she tried to take some light off the murder of Emily and may know someone involved with the case. If the suspect was on a four wheeler, how far do they usually travel on these rigs. Can they get the registration of every four wheeler vehicle in a let's say 100 miles radius. Of course, they use trailers and take these off of trucks and then go through the woods. Are there any cases of assault in other counties close to this region that happened in a wooded area, even break-ins of cottages or hunting lodges in the area. Hope the police keep on this and get things going quickly here.  I am with you guys for sure, another police department should be involved, the RCMP forensics and private detectives in homicide also.  They should have a professional profiler do a file on what kind of a person they think would do a crime like this. Maybe her computer should be confiscated and searched for information, in case she was online. Hoping again that some real valuable clues come up and this is solved real soon. Thoughts and prayers to the Stauffer family, once again.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

haunted

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
The problem is every other person has an ATV in that area. You can go a long way on them, plus it is hunting season so everyone who has an ATV and hunts has theirs out hunting. Not everyone registers them like they are supposed to do. It is a huge fine if you're on crown land or a public road to use one without it being properly registered and insured. However, some people like farmers and ranchers use theirs only on their land and don't register them and don't have to. There are a lot of ranchers in that area of the province as well. Plus it is primarily bush country and easy to be lost if you don't want to be found. I live in a city that has a beautiful trail that is bush surrounding most of it, some of it is quite remote in spots. I refuse to walk it alone or even with another female. When I would go running on the trails with company I packed dog spray. In fact I pack it anytime I go out walking. It is shame that places like these are out there and are very beautiful and it would be nice to enjoy them more but it is never a good idea to put yourself out there in a situation that you know could be questionable. It seems if you have any reservations you should listen to that voice inside you and make alternate plans.

To any woman out there, there is a book I read a while ago that was very helpful from a personal safety stand point. It does not discuss self defense or carrying of any kind of weapon but it does tell you how to use your own experiences to see situations coming before they become critical. The title of the book is The Gift of Fear written by Gavin de Becker. I lent it out so unfortunately I don't know who published it. I found it insightful and certainly makes me think more about my surroundings when I am out.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 12:19:44 AM »
Edson is also on a major highway that goes across the country. The person who did this may very well not even be in the community. THere have been numerous attacks in Hinton and Edson over the years. A elderly woman appears to have been abducted and never seen again in this area about 2 years ago.

But again, I do think this girl knew her attacker and I do believe it wll be solved very soon. Those boys who came across this could also be consider POI until there stories match perfectly, but chances are, this girl was targeted specifically.

I am not sure if I am being objective, or if I just fear the alternative. That this was a random act.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
How accurate are these boys?  We don't know exactly what they stated.
How much of an altercation was there with her attacker??
Perhaps he was going to rape her and she kicked him between the legs and he killed her in temper instead?  Perhaps he just demanded money or whatever jewellery she had on - and maybe, being in good shape, she tried to resist and get away... again perhaps hitting him where it hurt .... resulting in his rage and killing her??? we don't have any real facts.  Maybe she wasn't that timid...at least this time?  I know if I thought I was going to be assaulted and killed, all timid would go out the window....first thing I'd try to take out is his eyes.

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 11:21:02 AM »
Is this a sketch of the suspect in Emily's murder or the second phoney attack?

From what I understand it is a sketch of a Person of Interest in Emily's murder.  The article that I got the sketch from was before the second attack was announced.

CraftyGal

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 01:00:39 PM »
I agree with you Chris, the boys should be considered POI's, I had thought about that too. They could know the person involved in this, they could very well know who is involved in this crime and they could have collaborated to attack this girl and set it up that they would do the informing like they were innocent. Why would they not scream and in numbers possibly could have helped her. I am apt to think that there is some information here that has not come forward, there is a few twists and turns and that maybe why nobody has been arrested as yet. Another wait and see, I guess. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

D1

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »
This sketch should be of the guy who left on the quad then. Seeing as he has apparently not come forward on his own and has never been found, one can assume that he is more than just a person of interest?

Re: Emily not sexually assaulted. Good explanation ling. This could well be the difference between premeditated murder and some other motive gone wrong. I don't know to many rapists personally, but I have not heard of too many being detered from their mission by a victim putting up resistance especially in an isolated location. I could see him hitting her back immediately after a kick or something but to go immediately to murder so quickly instead of just subduing her and continuing is a little strange. He had apparently already began to murder Emily before the boys came across him and apparently did not stop even then. It is unknown whether he was alerted to the boys presence or not.

IMO, there seems to be some degree of personal rage directed at Emily for some unknown reason. Neither rape nor robbery fits 100% for a motive at least with the information currently available..

Chris LIng and CG have pointed out that we do not really know anything about the "boys". Who were they, how old, what actually did they see, did they yell or try to scare him off... etc.  We have seen other recent attacks on young people by groups of youths acting together. Do these "boys" and the woman providing the phoney suspect description have any common connections? However seeing as these boys were the only witnesses as far as we know, it would be unusual for them to draw attention to themselves in this manner if they were involved.

Almost sounds like others are saying that Emily may have been targetted and may have known her attacker. The surrounding events are getting a little too strange for standard explanations.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:59:09 PM by D1 »

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »

From 1st post:

Police said two youngsters came upon the attack, which occurred near Willshire Estates and Old Tiffin, and raced to a nearby home for assistance.

After emergency crews tried reviving the girl, she was taken to Edson hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Police believe the suspect might have fled the area on an ATV vehicle or another mode of transportation.

Upon first reading this, I had the feeling that the term "youngsters", were that they were under about 10 years old.

They came upon the attack: to me, meant they witnessed the man attacking Emily.

They saw an ATV somewhere, and was able to give a description of the man attacking.

I do think that Emily may have known her attacker, but it gives me pause, as the youngsters, didn't know him. But you never know in a crisis, things happen fast, and the perp hightailed it.
Often the police don't let out if a person was sexually assaulted, as I know the slayings of the serial killer, here in Edmonton, Kare never released that information. Information came out at trials usually.Also cause of death was not let out. Ex: asphyxiation, stabbing, or the many ways to kill someone.
I think if people in the town had a feasable suspect, the police are watching him, or looking for him.Also if it was random, the perp may have struck before, or will again. Just some thoughts...

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
Is there actually any proof that there was a quad?  I think if the guy was in fact on a quad I would be more likely to think that he was local or from somewhere not too far away. It just seems unlikely to me that someone would come from a farther away location and maybe have to haul their quad in the back of a truck. I don't know about hunters in that area, here they are out in full force and a lot of them arrive in town with quads loaded in the backs of trucks. If he came into town from somewhere else he would have to risk the truck being seen and maybe the licence plate. That would make me think that it would be more spur of the moment when he came upon Emily. I have kind of thought from the beginning that it is someone local who may have known that she walked on that trail or even someone she knew.