Author Topic: ARREST! Elizabeth Hoffschneider - Nov. 15, 1984 - Huntington Beach, Calif.  (Read 3966 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
From this Star story: http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Crime/article/506803

Canadian committed for California murder

Investigators, in CSI-fashion, build case against man for 1984 slaying

Sep 26, 2008 12:20 PM
Betsy Powell
Courts Bureau

Elizabeth Hoffschneider's nude and battered body was found in the bedroom of her Huntington Beach, Calif., apartment more than two decades ago.

Police collected and preserved hair and fiber evidence and, in CSI-like fashion, forensic scientists last year matched the DNA profile to Gerald Su Go, a Canadian citizen.

Toronto police arrested Su Go last fall and today Ontario Superior Court justice Todd Archibald ruled there is "more than ample evidence" to justify the committal of Su Go, who is also known as Gerald Go, for murder.

"I find there is `some evidence' that Mr. Su Go was present at the scene as he left his own DNA, animal hairs, and a palm print in the apartment," Archibald wrote.

"I also find that there is `some evidence' that Mr. Su Go was the perpetrator, considering that the hairs were located on Ms. Hoffschneider's body and bed, his palm print was found on her bedroom closet door, and the similar fact evidence establishes that Mr. Su Go has committed a crime of a similar nature."

Archibald noted there is no suggestion in the Orange County District Attorney court record, on which he based his decision, nor evidence called by defence counsel "to support the proposition that the evidence is manifestly unreliable."

Wearing jeans, a grey jacket and his black hair below his ears, the 51-year-old stared straight ahead as Archibald briefly explained his reasons for committal.

Asked if he had any questions for the judge, Su Go's lawyer, Vanessa Arsenault, said no. Under the Extradition Act, he has 30 days to appeal the decision. Su Go is originally from the Phillippines but became a Canadian citizen in the mid-1990s.

The 38-year-old woman, who worked as an office manager at a medical company, was sexually assaulted, beaten and strangled on Nov. 15, 1984. Two co-workers, concerned that she was not at work, went to her apartment and found her body. Her apartment was ransacked and her wallet, identification and diamond pendant were missing.

In 2008, a fingerprint expert examined a palm print lifted from the closet door in her bedroom and matched it to Su Go's. As well, forensic analysts examined hairs taken and preserved from Hoffschneider's body and bedding. The DNA profile was identical to the profile of Su Go, the ruling says.

There were also animal hairs lifted from her body. She had no pets and was extremely allergic to pets. Evidence reviewed by Archibald indicated that Su Go, in 1984, was working and training at an animal hospital.

According to the Orange County Register newspaper, Su Go only became a suspect after Huntington Beach police Det. Michael Reilly re-opened the Hoffschneider investigation three years ago.

He asked the sheriff's department crime lab to examine the hairs for a possible DNA hit, the newspaper reported last November.

The DNA profile in the three hairs was matched through the California Dept. of Justice database to Su Go. According to the newspaper, he was in that database after being convicted of a 1986 assault and attempted rape in Costa Mesa.

However, he fled California before he was sentenced and was a fugitive for 17 years until his arrest in New York in 2004.

He was extradited to California to serve his sentence for the Costa Messa assault at which time he was required to provide samples of his DNA.

After his release, Su Go was deported to Canada. He was linked to the 1984 murder a few weeks later.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: ARREST! Elizabeth Hoffschneider - Nov. 15, 1984 - Huntington Beach, Calif.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »
I found it odd that he committed this crime (and it looks like others too) in the eighties and then became a Canadian citizen in 1990. Then he was arrested back in the states in 2004. I'm thinking he may have thought Canada would be a good hiding place at the time, and wondering if he offended while he was here. I think it very likely that he did. I wonder if he returned to the states to live when he thought it was safe. It's a scary thought that he may have been living in Canada and returning to the states periodically to find victims. Very possible that he was offending in both places too.

mauvelilac

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
It just goes to prove that even the oldest cases are solvable with the proper perserverance and dedication. I hope the Canadian authorities in the cities where this perp lived check their cold case files relating to the time he lived in our country. I have a feeling Debbie is right. They tend to kill again if they get away with it once.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »
I'm thinking he may have thought Canada would be a good hiding place at the time, and wondering if he offended while he was here

My thoughts exactly! Good point debbiec, what did he (if anything) do here? And now will our government waste money trying to save him?

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
I hope the Canadian government wastes no time in checking the dna bank for the murders he may have committed in Canada after 1990 when he became a Canadian citizen.