Author Topic: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard  (Read 61956 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »
Starr; I just want to say I think losing a loving or admirable friend leaves a pain and void as deep as losing a family member....especially in the case of young friends.  I do hope and pray you and others will take the time, and make the efford, to reach Melanie's loved ones, and help them to keep this case alive - help them to nag the authorities enough for some action.  This lovely young woman should not be forgotten.  Her killer/s should not have any peace or enjoyment in life.  Get your friends together and start digging for facts....it won't get done if someone doesn't see that it gets done.  ....again, my condolences to you and her other friends and loved ones.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:32 PM »
ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE MISSING PERSON
MELANIE ETHIER

The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the disappearance of Melanie ETHIER.

At approximately 2:00 a.m., on Sunday, September 29, 1996, Melanie ETHIER, then age 15, left a private residence to walk a short distance to her home in TEMISKAMING SHORES, Ontario. ETHIER did not arrive at her residence and was reported missing to the Temiskaming Shores Police Service later that day.

Melanie ETHIER is described as a non-white (black) female, 165 cm (5'5"), 54 kg (120 Ibs.), brown eyes, long braided black hair. Last seen wearing a green Nike jacket, blue jeans, white T-shirt with blue heart (Pepe logo) and black boots. Foul play is strongly suspected in this disappearance.

Any person with information regarding this investigation should contact the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, the Temiskaming Detachment at (705) 647-8400, Temiskaming Shores Police Service at (705) 647-4388, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers.

File #955-10-1996-175

This reward will be apportioned as deemed just by the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services for the Province of Ontario and the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Julian Fantino, Commissioner.
777 Memorial Avenue, Orillia, Ontario, Canada, L3V 7V3.
Date: February 14, 2007
Telephone: (705) 329-6950
Facsimile:   (705) 329-6077

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/files/250382790.4.pdf

Concerned

• View Profile

Malanie Nadia Ethier

jobo

• View Profile
I still have ties to New Liskeard,  and I will never forget this young girl...
There is billboards on Hwy #11 north of North Bay to remind us this mystery has not been solved.

para93

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
Hi there. I'm from a town not too too far from new liskerd, and this case has made me question the people around me for many years. I do however think that most people on here are missing the most important factor to this case, to find out what happened. In all reality, Melanie will most likely never be found, but I do believe that it is possible to find out what happened to her, which would help her mother more than anything at this point.

I wonder if there was any ever digging done into the situation described by another blogger on this site who described their step father as a possible suspect. Even though it may not be logical due to the little amount of information provided, it is worth investigation if there is any worry. Melanie's mother has been through enough... it's time to find Melanie.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
Welcome para93!   The reinactment says that Melanie is thought to have made it as far as the bridge in New Liskeard.  That bridge is right where the downtown begins and it is a main street as it joins downtown to Walmart etc.  How could this young girl just disappear without witnesses, unless she went with someone she knew and no scene was created?   That's where my thinking goes.

Should talk to more locals that seem to have demons they can't shake. 

para93

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
Based on the fact that this case has been at a standstill for so long that is my thinking as well. It was also the case of Kathy Wilson who disappeared in the 1960s in Kirkland Lake (a town not too far from New Liskerd). She was taken by her second cousin, whom she knew. This case however, has been solved, even though her remains were never found, it was at least something for her surviving family members and friends who questioned how she disappeared without a trace.

I think that the same possibilities are here for Melanie.

wherecouldtheybe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/groups/136947720554/

This is a group on facebook dedicated to melanie.  There is a wonderful video that her mother made on valentines day.  It is very moving..

Jessica-

• The truth will come to light; murder cannot be hid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
I living in Kirkland lake have heard lots of theories considering what may have happened to melanie... the most credible i believe is the following which ive heard from multiple people, friends of the suspect, and sexual partners of the suspect... ive heard/know/ and met  a guy named ___ in virginia town that was looked at as possible suspect and they searched the dump out there, near the quebec border but never found anything. Virgina town is literally 3 minute drive from the quebec border.. This theory has been confirmed to me by multiple sources that live in virginia town, which is very small, a couple hundred people and are so called apparent friends/aquaitances of the so called suspect  ____. Apparently there were a few people involved but one person ultimately controlling the situation being _____. Another interesting fact is that my so called suspect ( when i say suspect i mean individual who was most responsible in the group) had been in a relationship with a women that is now an in-law of mine, which ive also heard this from with her being beaten and bruised, he was very violent apparently and mentioned melanies dissapereance to her..im not sure on exact details just that he insisted he was involved and she would end up like melanie type of thing...she broke up with him at a later point. The approximate age of the suspect is about early to mid 30s. would have been late teens at the time melanie dissaperared, likely able to drive with valid license. I can see this theory being most likely due to the fact that new-liskeard is literally a rock throw away from the quebec border, with many small french speaking towns within 30 minute drive of where melanie went missing. I think that it may be likely that a few of these older teens at the time may have drove up the back highway from larderlake/v-town to new-liskeard, and went drinking at the bars..Then at some point running into melanie, and then it going south from there.. I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that at even 2am that noone would have noticed melanie on the street, back in 96-97, when she went missing there were only a handful of black-people and when we would see blacks up here it would always cause EVERYONE to take a second look, wether in your car or walking , whatever (im not racist just stating a fact in small northern communities in the mid to late 90s.. I believe melanie was transported out of the area by car or truck and taken closer too or across to the quebec border..This is due to the fact i believe the suspect is french speaking and they may have been thinking that if they brought melanie across to quebec that there would be less attention from the quebec authorities on her dissapearance, and would cause problems for OPP. If youve spent alot of time in quebec as i have you would know that the communication between OPP and QUEBEC POLICE is horrible at best, I myself know this but wont specify how.. At the time the suspects would have been fairly young with their parents being involved with the bikers..more specifically "montreal hells angels, dealing with coke", so i can also see help coming from them as they had large rolls in the hells angels pushing cocaine all over northern ontario and have been involved with killing involving drugs in the past.One of the ppl in the  group i believe may have harmed her had been charged and convicted in a shooting death in the area (interesting fact, also when a teen). Ive never contacted  the police with my information due to the fact i believe if i know it and hear it , that other people must also being hearing the same thing.. I have worked in the mining exploration industry for about 15yrs, searching the bush, old mine shafts and adits, etc.. and i would not be surprised that melanie could be on the side of the road in one of thoose old exploration structures and never been found.. It is a very big area, with lots of bush, lots of roads for access, and very little people to bother you if you want to do something quietly and low-key. I dont think it was a drifter due to the fact that downtown new-liskeard is off the main trans-canada highway, and where she went missing is not really a place a drifter would be at 2am. I really do think about this often being close to the same age as melanie and growing up soo close.. I find it very depressing that the OLD new liskeard police did not do much from the sounds of it, as i dont hear much or find much about the case... Then the OPP taking over hasnt brought any new clues or theories for the public.. It upsets me that the police have shared no information with the public what soever, with regards to theories or possible scenarios, the public are the ones who usually solve this cases and the fact that the police dont share much with us doesnt help! I think this needs a kick start and have to get something going or the police will just continue to wait until we the public solve it , and by then maybe theyll figure out this person has killed many times. as thats how it usally turns out.. I hope melanie is in peace wherever she is and that her mother gets peace of mind soon... wish i knew her, she seemed like she had quiet the spirit! Thought i would share this with someone P.S- I dont want to put suspects name for my own safety but am willing to provide it to the right people...

You could always make an tip and remain unknown, you don't have to fully be involved just get the opp going.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:47 AM »
Yes have been contemplating that but have just been reluctant due to the fact i feel as if what i know, the cops already know, they searched the dump out there and questioned him but i think it comes down to evidence and there isnt enough.. I could be way off , but just seems like theres definitley a link between this person and melanie... If someone more personally related to the case can tell me if theyve heard of this person and the possibilites i outlined.. then i can go ahead with some more digging of my own..as i have access to these people...

The cops may already know him. But don't assume they know everything. It is not a bad idea to write down everything you can possibly think of, including names of people for the police to talk to. After this much time, someone new might be willing to talk. Sounds like this _____ is capable of hurting others in the future.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
@dale PLEASE regardless of whether or not you thin the OPP may have the info please take it to them. Her poor mother posts about her daily and how nice would it be if this one tip, they take a second look at this person and it's the key to it all! Closure for her mother could change everything. I compell you to please come forward to the OPP with this, there is a reward in the case too, they can help you if you don't feel safe with it, but I beg of you to bring it forward!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »
Dale, I agree with the others, and encourage you to come forward with your information. You just never know which tip may be the one needed to solve a case. IMO it's best to give the information and let the police decide if it's important.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »
Yes, dale.....so much time has passed and if you anonymously submitted info, perhaps the Police could/would talk to the guy's "old circle" to get more info.

GoArmy36

• View Profile
Hello. This is my first visit.  Because I am from northern Ontario these missing persons cases caught my eye  I read the story about Julie Fortier which then led me to Melanie Ethier's.  Numerous times driving home I would drive by her billboard, but knew nothing about her, but reading the post were a blogger suspected her step father and maybe his old partner who were OPP brought something back that actually almost mad me sick to my stomach. Back in 2000, it was either the weekend after June 6th (was going to Matheson for my grandmothers memorial service) or it was the weekend of 15 July (it would have been their 40th wedding anniversary). The whole family was going up to make sure grandpa was not alone that day. I think it was the later though. Anyway my husband ( soldier in Canadian armed forces) myself and our 4 1/2 month old son were on our way up from petawawa.  As I am from the north and have relatives in Kirkland lake, Matheson, and engle hart I knew the area well. It was late at night and very dark. We were in between tomiskaming (sorry for my spelling)and new liskard. I remember that there were no other cars on the road and there were no lights at all other than our headlights. I saw a man on the opposite side of the road. My husband being a good soldier turned the car around and stopped beside him.  I rolled down my window and asked him if he was ok. He told us that he grew up in new liskard but had been away for over twenty years and was hitch hiking home. He didn't know any of his old friends numbers or if they were even still there after twenty years. My husband I decided to drive this man the remainder of the way. We were only 10 min out. He told us he had no money to give us. We got out of the car. My husband to rearrange the back seat for me to get into with our son, and I to have a smoke. He offered to buy a smoke off of me.  This is where I started to have an uneasy feeling. He had no money to give us but was willing to buy a smoke off of me. I gave him one and then grabbed our cell phone. I said aloud to my husband that I was going to call grandpas to let them know what we were doing and that we would be late. I could not get any service so I pretended to leave a voice mail. My husband was talking to the man letting him now he was a soldier etc...  I got in the back with my son and the man got in the front with my husband. We were about to take off when there was a knock on the drivers side window. Both me and my husband jumped.  I could see at this time my husband was shaken up. He rolled down his window and asked this other guy what he wanted. He told my husband not to bother driving the guy in the front seat and that he knew the guy and he would take him. The guy got out of our car, I stayed in the back seat and we drove off. My husband and I were silent for quite a while when he told me he had no idea where the other man came from. Neither he or myself seen or heard the car pull up behind us, meaning the lights were not turned on. Nothing of what happened made sense. We both new that we had just got away from something bad. We both could feel it. After talking it all out we concluded that the two men were working together and the second guy had to be hidden in ear shot to hear the conversations we had with the man. I remember my husband talking about the car having its headlights off when it pulled in behind us and that he came in so slow that we could not hear it either. He said that cops do that. They put their emergency break on just a little which turns the lights off but allows them to still drive slowly. I forgot all about this day until today reading the post where a blogger accuses her step father an ex OPP officer. Now it makes me wonder, did we really escape something awful. Where they scared to carry on with their plan when they found out my husband was military and that I had left a voice mail with my grandpa. I think we avoided something very bad. Both men were physically fit looking, white, late 30's to early 40's, and both wore baseball caps. They both wore dark clothing and the car was mid size and of dark colour. If this triggers any memories from other travellers maybe the OPP should be contacted. I spoke with my husband before placing this post. We discussed everything that happened that night and we are positive that the two men meant us harm.  I really hope they find the whereabouts of Melanie. As a parent I could not imagine the not knowing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:35:40 PM by GoArmy36 »

Fraser

• View Profile
Hi - I just wanted you to know that I think you were absolutely correct in your suspicions and trusting your instincts. Way to many things about those guys are just wrong. I am so glad you played it safe.