Author Topic: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard  (Read 60018 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
A little town, only so many people out and about at that hour, some rumours and gossip to go on, and 17 long years for the murderer(s) to run free. The case was eventually turned over to the OPP and  I hope small town policing hasn't been a liability to solving the case sooner. I would start with a list of all the teenage to adult men in the city at the time, and particularly those that attended the two weddings and bars that night. The city had a population under 5,000 in those days before amalgamation. That brings the suspect list down to something like 2,000 or fewer possible men if it was a local. If there were any DNA to go on, it would be almost easy to find the suspect. Melanie's family deserve an answer and justice. If the poster who posted the rumours on here has not yet contacted police or crimestoppers, please do. The murderer may have kids of his own by now and some realization of what he did. I'll bet he's really protective of those kids if he has any.

http://www.nugget.ca/2011/09/28/melanie-ethier-missing-15-years

The problem, Barron says, is that the investigation has been underway for so long that anyone who might still have information may not realize its significance.

"Anyone who might have information should call with it. It might be the final missing piece," Barron says.

The former New Liskeard Police Service and the OPP worked the investigation in the early days, but after the formation of Temiskaming Shores, the OPP took over policing in the community - and the file.

Tips are still called in to the police, about two dozen this year, and all are actively followed.

Police did look at Barry Vincent Manion, convicted in 2009 in the 1970 murder of Katherine Wilson in Kirkland Lake.

"Investigators did look at him as a person of interest, but he was eliminated," Barron says.

"Somebody out there knows what happened," she says. "For whatever reason we don't have that information yet.

"Call us. We are sure the answer's out there. We will do everything we can to solve this."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:48:30 PM by leonagleant »

Im_new_here2

Hey everyone,,I just wanted to take a second to say that we should all be thinking about the case that was just solved in HANOVER Ontario . It was i think 30 years ago that it happend and they solved it just this month so don't loose hope call everything in any details and it dont matter if its a small one or a huge tip you just never know remember one benefit in this case is all the new technoligy we have now that could make a difference...

jobo

• View Profile
New Liskeard is the biggest town around for people to party in, which means they are coming from all the small towns in Northern Ontario and even Quebec to party in New Liskeard.   I have been to the two main bars in New Liskeard and they are packed at night.
The border between Quebec and New Liskeard is about 23 kms away from the Mall...a lot of the young people (I know) from Ontario buy their beer in Quebec and on the other hand, lot of people from small town Quebec come and shop at the New Liskeard Mall....one of the highways joining the two provinces leads right to the Mall.
The population of New Liskeard may have been 5,000 back in 1996, and the other towns around would barely have a thousand residents then..so there could've been lots of (fairly local) out-of-towners around New Liskeard that night.
For example if you drive on Hwy 11B (north from Cobalt), it pretty much joins Cobalt, Haileybury, New Liskeard, and Dymond together....can barely tell where one town ends and the next begins.

GoArmy36, welcome,...you came across quite a weird scene....who knows what these two guys were up to on such a desolate highway at that time of night.  I have also driven that highway at night, pretty much the only other vehicles are truckers.   

Two people have gone missing from Marten River area, so that area feels eerie to me...especially that store with the red roof on the highway.
I think I would be way too scared to stop for someone out there on the highway in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.   Like you mentioned, there is barely any cell phone service.

Im_new_here2.....I do think Melanie's disappearance will be solved....I just have that feeling.  And all it takes is someone to come forward with the info.  No one so far has come forward, so that makes me wonder if it is a very tough crowd....the kind with guns and drugs...and those that know are afraid for their own safety....I just hope that if it is a case of being afraid to step up and tell, then one day soon that person will feel safe enough to do so.

GoArmy36

• View Profile
Jobo.  What are the names of the two that you say went missing in Martin River?  I would like to research it, and if there are similarities to what happened to me and my husband, I will definitely be calling the OPP.  I know you all think that stopping that night was stupid, but me growing up in Northern Ontario and my husband in Newfoundland, that is what we do, we help people I guess.  Since my original post, my husband and I have talked about that night many times.  Would we ever stop to help a man in the middle of no where again?  Probably not.  But seeing that he and I are military, I think we were pretty confident at the time.  I really hope they put closure to this case soon.  As a parent that is my biggest fear, losing a child and not knowing what happened.  I just really found it weird when that girl posted about her step father (ex opp and his partner).  The car that pulled up behind us was done so with absolute stealth.  My husband who had many years in the Canandian forces at the time is trained to be observant, and since the birth of our first child, has been hypervigilant with his observation skills.  I really think that girl's step father, and what happened to my family is somehow connected.  Police all the time, put their emergency break on just enough to cut out the head lights, but still able to drive.  My husband have brainstormed quite a bit lately, and that is the only conclusion that we can come up with.  God, I hope that I am wrong.  Talk about the perfect criminals.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:26:11 PM by GoArmy36 »

Fraser

• View Profile
Jobo - would the two you mention be Shannon Alexander, 17, and Maisy Odjick, 16, who went missing in 2008? Just guessing, I only heard about them a couple of weeks ago.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Fraser, not intending to speak for jobo, but I think she may possibly be referring to Barbara Sadowski and Robert Aho.

Fraser

• View Profile
Okay, thanks, no worries....I noticed she did say two "people", not women/girls. Thanks again!

jobo

• View Profile
Yes, debbiec....Robert Aho and Barbara Sadowski are the two people I was refferring to, thanks.  Both went missing at different times from around Marten River area.

bob89

• View Profile
IF YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED PLEASE CONTACT THE POLICE, CRIME STOPPERS, OR MYSELF MELANIE'S CASE IS STILL VERY ACTIVE. THE POLICE HAVE NEVER STOPPED WORKING ON HER CASE. THERE HAS BEEN MANY TIPS SINCE MELANIE WENT MISSING 16 YEARS AGO. EVERY TIP ARE ALWAYS SO DIFFERENT. THEY ARE ALL BEING LOOKED INTO. I KEEP ON HOPING THAT THE RIGHT TIP WILL COME IN SOME DAY AND THAT MELANIE WILL BE FOUND. UNTIL THAT DAY I AM ASKING FOR THE PUBLIC TO BRING FORWARD ANY INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STATE YOUR NAME IF YOU WISH NOT TO IM JUST ASKING PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION PLEASE COME FORWARD WITH IT EVEN IF YOU DONT THINK IT WILL HELP EVERY LITTLE PIECE WILL HELP EVEN IF IT IS SOMETHING YOU HEARD FROM SOMEONE ELSE..
THANK YOU.
help find Melanie Ethier who has been missing from New Liskeard since September 29, 1996 (she was then 15 yrs of age). Last seen wearing a green Nike jacket, blue jeans, white T-shirt with blue heart (Pepe logo) and black boots.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, the Temiskaming Detachment at (705) 647-8400, Temiskaming Shores Police Service at (705) 647-4388, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers.

The File # for this case is 955-10-1996-175

SOME ONE OUT THERE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED... SO WHY DONT YOU COME FORWARD AND HELP MELANIE'S FAMILY/FRIENDS FIND CLOSER OR YET BRING MELANIE HOME WHERE SHE BELONGS!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:20:33 AM by debbiec »

Axio300

• View Profile
now im 15 but i grew up here my whole life (heileybury) there is so much wooded ares behind cobalt and have they even checked the mines

jobo

• View Profile
Axio300:   There is also another woman missing from Cobalt......Shelley M. Anderson....there is a thread on this forum for her.   You are correct about all the abandoned mines....wonder how far they have looked for Shelley.
In my opinion, I would think Melanie is closer to New Liskeard....even north near Larder Lake....but that is just what I feel, not what I know for a fact.

Also some men missing from that area, who's names escape me....but they are also on this forum.

Im_new_here2

I only visited New Liskeard once as my cousin moved there because her father is a farmer actually i can remember that he had oh i don`t know like 50 akers of land give or take on the out skirts of town. I remember going on a wagon ride out in the field once and my uncle showed me a spot on the ground where if i stood there and widend my stance I had one leg in Ontario and the other in Quebec lol . My 3 cousins all girls went to school in New Liskeard and my one cousin who is the same age as me was in the same class as Melanie and thats what drew me to this case at first...

Just curious ..Do they still have the big Bill Board of Melanie and the circumstances of her disappearance.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:59:49 PM by Im_new_here2 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Never lived there,  BUT one would assume that since she disappeared in '96, we are now in 2013, that this bill board has been taken down.  I don't live there, but one can assume this is a cold case by now, and posters and billboards may have been removed by now = in 2013.

JB

jobo

• View Profile
I am pretty sure the billboard has been kept up...I know it was there on Hwy. #11, 4 years ago for sure.

forest

• View Profile
Re: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
The Billboard with Melanie's info was still up in the summer of 2016. It was slightly grown over with bush