Author Topic: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard  (Read 59267 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 01:54:43 AM »
To the person who sent a message about this post.

Sorry, it has been removed. I hope this case is solved, if there is anything you want to add, please use the contact form on the top menu and send it to me.

Thanks for the message.

UMFan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »
I often wondered about the 2am thing myself. Nothing much was said about it. I know at that age I wasn't allowed out at 2am.

It is funny that this issue has come up.  I grew up in a little town not far from New Liskeard and I must say that I never considered the fact that Melanie was out at 2 am to be particularly odd to me.  However, if this had happened in a more urban setting, I would probably feel the same way as some of the posters in this thread about her being out at 2 am.  What has to be considered is the culture of that particular area.  I believe, having grown up in that area, that the parenting is more permissive up there.  That isn't to say that it is good or bad - I think that most of those who I grew up with and received such parenting have done okay in life - but it is just different.  People in that area believe that they are insulated from events like what happened to Melanie and they don't really think twice about their teenager being out that late.  She wasn't very far from home and her mother probably just didn't think that anything like this could happen to her and the reality is that these kinds of cases are rare, even in big cities (although we are led to believe differently because of the media attention that such cases receive).

As far as what happened in this particular case, my guess is that Melanie was a victim of foul play and was probably killed by somebody who knows that area well (as tends to be the case in most such murders).  Anyone who has been up in that area of the country knows that there would be ample places to place a body without it being discovered for many years, if ever.  Is the person responsible for Melanie's disappearance still in the New Liskeard area?  I think that odds are better than not that he or she still is but the person doesn't appear to be a serial killer because there have been no other disappearances in that area to my knowledge since Melanie's.  My theory is that the abductor meant to sexually assault Melanie and went further than he or she meant to but that is only my theory and there just seems to be no evidence at all here.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
I also wondered about the 2am thing UMFan as it just seems like common sense to be aware that things like this occur (and often under the cover of darkness). I really don't agree with you're statement that this is rare, especially in big cities. Maybe most don't culminate in murder, but their is a very high rate of sexual assault on girls in her age range. That is from statistics. As a mother I just wouldn't take a chance that it would not happen to my daughter, but that's just my opinion. In light of you're other statement, what makes you think that the person is from you're area? Don't you think that it could have been someone just passing through? I'm not familiar with the area, so just curious. Do you see a conscious effort on the part of the police to keep this in the public eye? It would be great if they could solve this, and give the family some closure.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
That girl is strikingly beautiful.  I was always overprotective of my two because I raised them alone; if they weren't in at 10 pm, I was on a mission to bring them home.... right up until they went off on their own.  There are creeps everywhere and in every society ... always someone passing through or keeping watch.  ...and this girl is above average on the attractive scale so quite a temptation to a creep.  If only she could have survived this disappearance!  Definitely too many lives wasted - especially in the native community.  I keep hoping these girls will get together and start protecting themselves and each other.  It's gone beyond out of control... somebody better do something!  ...at least get them to understand the danger and be more aware.

mauvelilac

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »
Yes Ling I agree. She was a beautiful young girl. Seems to me very trusting as well. But she wasn't native, if I remember right her father was from Africa or thereabouts. You have to understand that many of the small towns up north and I'm even finding it here in my community in Eastern Ontario there's a mentality that bad things only happen in the bigger cities and that perverts are only to be found there. Trois Riviere' is a good example, not a very big city but a well known disappearance there.
I totally agree with you. I was a very paranoid mother. And I'm even worse as a grandmother of four boys.
My daughter is always chastising me saying, "Mom, they won't grab a boy." I always snap back at her, "I wouldn't take that to my bank." Perverts aren't choosy. In Melanie's case though I don't think they were perverts. I think they just took something way too far.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 10:01:21 PM »
Mauve:
Perverts aren't choosy. In Melanie's case though I don't think they were perverts. I think they just took something way too far.
If more than one person killed Melanie, then it is a gang rape, and they took things way too far. Death was the cover up.Also she may have knew them, or him. There is no body found yet.

I hate to suggest this, yet alone believe this, but it seems that many abductions, rapes, are often leading to murder.If the body is buried, away from the scene, there is little chance of finding remains, unless someone is digging, or the bones partially rise, or property being built.

People who do this, or participate in it, are supreme perverted, creeps.Those that know, and hide the fact, are holding hands with these killers, and deserve time in jail. JMO I am not letting these suckers away with anything, nothing.The judicial system is so corrupted, they often say, well things went too far. Life is life, death, is death.

Whether it is a beating, swarming, strangulation, or using a weapon, death is most likely the intent. A barfight, could be manslaughter. A fight for your life, as in defending it, the creep who started is in the wrong. We do have the right to defend ourselves, and will if we stand a chance.

Melanie met up with the wrong people, God rest her soul! :( :'(

mauvelilac

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:36 PM »
Adrian: Maybe my choice of words wasn't the greatest. When I said went too far, I mean't it didn't start out to finish like it did. I don't think they picked her up with the intent to harm her in any way. Obviously, once she was with them something horrible happened. And I honestly don't think it was a gang rape either. I think it was a situation like Helen Betty Osborne where one did the actual act while the others sat back and looked like the idiots they were. That's what came to my mind with Melanie. It doesn't make the other three any less guilty by any stretch of the imagination.
You're right, she did know at least two of them. The sad part is because of Ontario's juvenile law even if Melanie were found at this late date the two she knew would be charged as a juvenile and their time in jail would be brief.
Melanie, your Mom misses you. Your friends miss you. Please find some way to show someone where you are.

cardem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »
I think about this case often, for some reason it has really touched my heart. Maybe because it's close to home or maybe because I am a parent; but whatever the reason I'll probably follow this until it is solved.

In response to your e-mails you seem to know alot about this case.  Are you from New Liskard?  How do you know there are several (specifically) 4 people involved.  You also mentioned that you hoped Melanie would find a way to let someone know where she is ~ I think she will and someday she will be found.

mauvelilac

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Car: I don't make it a secret on this forum that I'm psychic. I'm not the only one but I am by far and wide the most vocal. I don't get information on every case but the ones I do get information I make it a practice not to advoid that information because it is given to me for a reason and that reason is to find the missing person or the murderer whatever the case may be.
I'm not sure if you're speaking to me? I have followed this case from almost day one because Melanie was very insistent in the beginning. She didn't leave of her own volition. I've made yearly, sometimes twice a year visits to New Liskeard when I lived in Sudbury. I was there this summer albeit briefly.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 05:23:28 AM »

I really hope that Melanie is found. I also believe that there are people who do know what happened to her. They are scared to speak out, as maybe their own involvement could have them charged.

This beautiful young girl, did not ask for this, and she probably trusted the wrong people. I hope she didn't suffer.

People who do this, or participate in it, are supreme perverted, creeps.Those that know, and hide the fact, are holding hands with these killers, and deserve time in jail. JMO I am not letting these suckers away with anything, nothing.The judicial system is so corrupted, they often say, well things went too far. Life is life, death, is death.

JW091955

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
Although I have no direct new information on the case, I have now followed it since the first day. I live in the area. And I know there are many theories and there have been searches and there are plenty of clues. But what really bugs me is the way the case is being handled. Had this happened in Toronto or some other big Ontario city, there would be an entire task force working on the case until it was solved. But now it seems the police here are relying on some big break from an informant before anything more is done. Something happened along that short walk from school and somebody knows something. I know it's not easy searching for that one clue that might break the case and find Melanie, but somebody from one of the police forces (Temiskaming OPP or New Liskeard Police) should be actively involved. In Toronto, there would be a task force working 24/7 to solve the case. But, I guess we in Northern Ontario, don't get that. As I said, I have no information and no facts. But I do believe there are facts out there and somebody should be finding them. There might have been a very serious crime committed here that isn't getting serious attention.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »
JW09, I agree.  Seems like this just got thrown to the back of someone's office and nobody cares.  Not enough people are kicking up a stink...especially loved ones.... that's the only way to get something done.  And in cases where there are no "favored informants or corrupt officials" involved, a lot of stink could result in some action.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
That probably is true.... but there is also the chance the police pretty much have this case solved but the Crown is not satisifed enough to move forward. In that case, there is not much else they can do. But I do wish cases like this would at least get some more attention!

rapsman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
             I'm not sure but I might have a POSSIBLE suspect for this case. He is my step father, and in the last few years alot has been discovered about his past and his serious sexual harassement ways. He was on the hailebury force and was let go for unknown reasons.

After he was kicked off the force we moved to St. Catharines Ont. where we lived for quite a few years. He had to go to court in hailebury for something that happened when he was a cop and no one knows why. But when hew went it was  close to the date that melanie was missing ( I don't know for sure). That's why I'm looking for the court date for an x OPP named KEN BOYD.

This man has sexually harassed every female in my family (including my grandmother) and he needs to be stopped. I need to know the reason he went to court, the court dates.

He also had a cop partner AL COOK known as (cookie) which I think knows more to this story than anyone else.

Now I just want to clarify that this is my strong feeling for this case and there is a lack of evidence. I can bet money that the evidence was tampered with if there was any at all. Both of these individuals are no longer on the OPP force and also don't talk about it very much.

Everyday the pieces to the puzzle are coming together, because I lived with him my whole childhood and realised the things he said or the slips he made. My mother is trapped with this guy and cannot get away and I think its because she knows something. I hoped I helped, but I guess we will find out.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 01:21:01 PM »
keep the heat on rapsman;  but watch your back >:(

And in cases where there are no "favored informants or corrupt officials" involved, a lot of stink could result in some action.

see what I mean!