Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard  (Read 24998 times)

Desespere

Melanie Nadia Ethier
DOB: 1980/12/25
Missing
Date last seen:  September 29, 1996
Location last seen: New Liskeard, ON
Teen

Melanie Nadia Ethier - September 29, 1996 - 15 - Missing - New Liskeard - At approximately 2:00 a.m., on Sunday, September 29, 1996, Melanie Ethier, then age 15, left a private residence to walk a short distance to her home in New Liskeard. Ethier did not arrive at her residence and was reported missing to the New Liskeard Police later that day.
Melanie Ethier is described as a non-white (black) female, 165 cm (5'5"), 54 kg (120 Ibs.), brown eyes, long braided black hair. Last seen wearing a green Nike jacket, blue jeans, white T-shirt with blue heart (Pepe logo) and black boots. Foul play is strongly suspected in this disappearance.
Any person with information regarding this investigation should contact the nearest police authority, the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122, the New Liskeard Police Service (705) 647-4388 or the Ontario Provincial Police, Temiskaming Detachment (705) 647-8400

http://www.opp.ca/Intranetdev/groups/public/documents/investigative/opp_001151.pdf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:02:53 PM by Desespere »

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
Just saw this case on Court TV last night, Missing without a single trace from a walk which should have taken 10 minutes. 3 weddings were letting out as were the bars in this town of 5000. No one has seen anything, nothing was found. It was so sad to hear the mother say, she thinks her daughter is dead. I can't imagine. :(

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Just added a sort of simular one. Girl probably walking, gone missing. Near Hamilton. I have not heard a thing about this at all in the media, must be because in that area, girls going missing on reservations just is not news to them.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile

The more I read, the more I research, the harder it is for me to think, that First Nations Peoples, are not being targeted.I know there are other races, but the amount of Natives far outways, the others, in shere velocity. :'( :'( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Adrian, I agree with you. There is a reason for this I think. FIrst nations are not protected by human rights, each reservation is run by a powerful council which has too much power. It is hard to get issues addressed. No one wants to deal with anything. It is quite sad.

I think criinals know that killing a person from first nations is hard to solve and easy to get away with.

wildchild

• My Baby Dolly
    • View Profile
I think the reason for there being such a hard time in the Melanie Ethier case is that the community where she is from is a rather large farming community. Lots of spread out properties and plenty of wooded areas. I am not sure if she lived in the downtown core, but this area too is also widely spread out. The area is now called Temiskaming Shores and Lake Temiskaming is huge.

For a long time, we in the surrounding areas of where Melanie is from, thought she was with her father in another country. Unfortunately, we found this to be untrue.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
So it there a theory as what happened? Do people think foul play?

Fraser

• View Profile
I'm confused...a couple of you talk about her being First Nations but the description says she is "black"...I know it says she has long, braided hair but, am I missing/not understanding something?

Adrian

• View Profile
 Sorry, I posted, my above post in the wrong thread. :-[ :-[ :-[

Fraser

• View Profile
Okay Adrian...thanks, I'm not confused anymore.

wildchild

• My Baby Dolly
    • View Profile
No one really knows for sure what happened. I will never give up hope that she will be found. Searches have been done in and around a dumping area and around construction and highway repairs sites. All to no avail.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:21:01 PM by wildchild »

wildchild

• My Baby Dolly
    • View Profile

This is Melanie Ethier

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
How come a 15 year old is out at 2:am?

YOu have to wonder if a person offered her a ride or something and then killed her when things got out of hand. I have seen that many times. Poor child, I hope they find her and bust the person who harmed her.

wildchild

• My Baby Dolly
    • View Profile
I often wondered about the 2am thing myself. Nothing much was said about it. I know at that age I wasn't allowed out at 2am.

Adrian

• View Profile
Re: Melanie Nadia Ethier | September 29, 1996 | 15 | Missing | New Liskeard
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »
  I received a message from Guest:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=221.msg12141#msg12141

The reporter has made the following comment:
this is slanderous, hurtful and completely innacurate.

Regards,
The Unsolved Murders | Missing People Canada Team.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here