Author Topic: GERMAN FAMILY DISAPPEARED IN DEATH VALLEY ON JULY 7, 1996  (Read 8192 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
GERMAN FAMILY DISAPPEARED IN DEATH VALLEY ON JULY 7, 1996
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:37:32 PM »
I happened on a site and found this information about a family that came to USA as tourists. They rented a van and took supplies and were touring Death Valley, they just simply disappeared. The van they rented was rented on July 7, 1996 and was to be returned on the 26th. The van was not found until October and they were reported missing through Interpol. Their van was found after an air search. There was a man, his common-law wife and two each of their children. No trace of them was ever found. Some items were found in the van, but none of their person items such as passports and ID and her purse was not found. I do not know how to link the site, I tried to do it, but to no success. Lostlinganer, I know you tried to tell me how to do it, but it just would not work out. I wrote in on my google, "Missing persons in Germany" and this is what came up, this one case. So, I am going to go to computer classes and get in the know about all this stuff about links. This is quite a mystery. They think they could have died of the heat, but no trace of them was found. They indicated that the temp would go to 120 degrees, so basically anything could have happened to them.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: GERMAN FAMILY DISAPPEARED IN DEATH VALLEY ON JULY 7, 1996
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
cape; you should be able to highlight the http: at top when you're in that site...or wherever it is you found it.....then right click on the blue and choose copy...then paste it here.

mauvelilac

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »
The temperature in Death valley is atrocious during the day but drops dramatically at night. That's the way in most deserts so if they didn't pass from heat prostration they could have suffered hypothermia depending on how they were dressed. Not to find them after all these years...I wonder how hard they looked?

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »
They looked as best they could, but did not find anything except one empty beer bottle, which was not very far from where the van was sunk in the sand. The van was abandoned and they felt that maybe they had gone for help.  They had a helicopter search and searchers did not find anything. They indicated that possibly they had taken cover on a ledge for shade and that someday somebody will find their mummified bodies. There was no clothing or anything found, that is what is so strange. But they feel also that after all this time animals would have destoryed anything left of them.  Their family in Germany has resigned themselves to the fact that they are dead. However, one always thinks of why didn't they find any trace of them, especially four people.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

mauvelilac

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
I agree Cape. Maybe they took shelter from the heat in a cave. Deserts have various nooks and crannies and maybe they expired there. There is a positive note though, maybe they are alive and well and living a new life in the US and that's sheer poppycock because surely one of them would have contacted family members. Take note group, I tried for 30 seconds to think positively. Just an absolute tragedy to come to a new country for a visit and meet an end like that.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
It is very sad that nothing was ever found of these four people and the family has to resign to the fact that they are deceased. I know there is another young woman missing in an Asian country and she is from Ontario, Mauve, you must remember that one. They have done a few clips on TV about her going out to check ruins and she was never heard from, she did not come back to the place she was staying. I feel these young people are living in a dream world when they go to these countries alone and think they are safe, I would be terrified. 

Another man from Ontario a couple of years ago went to Africa and he got tired on a group walk and he said he wanted to reset, They Left Him There, the guide did, just imagine that and told him he could catch up.  He was never seen again. I am always wondering about that man and I cannot remember his name, but he was from Ontario. Mauve, maybe you could remember these other missing people, I can't. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mauvelilac

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »
I'm not sure I've heard of either case ??? Both cases were from Ontario...hmmm Have to do some research Cape. Now you've got me going. LOL Well the young man in Africa if he stopped for a rest, depending on where he stopped he could have become a snack for a lion. Totally irresponsible for the guide to leave him. Guides are usually paid well.
I know a few years back my sister spent 7 weeks in Australia. She was in her early 20's at the time. She told me of areas where there was signs posted not to go near the waters edge because of crocodiles. She said there were actually people who disbelieved the signs. Then one night her and her friends were  gathering firewood and a black scorpion crawled out on her hand. Young people believe they are invicible.
These cases are so sad...and it's so frustrating because we can only do so much and leave the rest with the Creator.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »
capeheart, I have never heard of this. How strange indeed!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
Mauve, the man who went missing in Africa, he was an older man and his daughter encouraged him to go on this trip, I think he was early seventies or late sixties. I think they sued the outfit.
     The girl, you must remember, I really thought she was from Ontario.  She was backpacking in an Asian country, I am not good at remember my geography, but this was only last year. It was on CTV news a couple of times and her brother and her boyfriend took a trip over there looking for her or any clues to her whereabouts. I do not believe she was ever found, because she was missing for months and months.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

mauvelilac

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
Hmmm, it's probably my medication, my memory isn't the greatest at the moment. Plus I'm working on a couple of cases right now so my mind is full of jigsaw pieces. It'll come to me Cape. Just let me think on it.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »
Skeletal remains found in Death Valley may belong to one or more of the four German tourists who vanished in searing summer heat 13 years ago, authorities say.

Two hikers discovered the bones last week in a remote area of the famous Mojave Desert park. The hikers were search-and-rescue workers from Riverside County but they were off duty at the time, Inyo County sheriff's spokeswoman Carma Roper said.

Identification for one of the missing tourists was found near the bones, she said.

"We're fairly certain" that the remains are those of one or more of the long-missing visitors, Roper said. However, formally identifying the remains will be a long process, she said. The cause of death also must be determined.

The four who vanished in the 3-million-acre wilderness on July 22, 1996, were Dresden residents Cornelia Meyer, 27; her 4-year-old son, Max; her boyfriend, architect Egbert Rimkus, 34, and his 10-year-old son, Georg Weber.

They had arrived in the United States earlier in the month and were touring in a Plymouth Voyager minivan rented in Los Angeles.

They checked out of a Las Vegas hotel room on July 22 and arrived in Death Valley the same day, records indicated. Temperatures in the park that week had topped 120 degrees.

AP

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/tourists_death_valley_fate_solved_rNXW9a7TMO8lI3qqK9w9LJ#ixzz19dS2QwAh

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
I believe this is the Ontario woman you are thinking of http://www.findnicolevienneau.com/

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Angela, I did come across an article for that woman while searching for information on this family. Now cannot find the article.

According to this article at the link below, Cornelia Meyer's ID was found near some of the skeletal remains and that is why they think it is her. I have not, so far been able to find anything saying there has been a positve ID on the remains at all.

The article on the link below appears to be of poor quality, but enlarges nicely when clicked on.

http://www.redrockcrossing.info/BreezeBackPage.jpg

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »
debbieC, thanks for that information. It would be great if they have found at least something to let the family know what has happened to their loved ones. Some people go travelling and they do not get enough information for areas they are travelling in.

Angela, yes, that is the young woman that went missing from Ontario. I could not read the information on the link, it was too blurry. But is that information stating that it suspected that her remains have been found? I wasn't sure on that. It would also be closure for her family if that is the case. A sad ending for people who left home for adventure. :o :o :o :o :o

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
Her remains have not been found :(