Author Topic: Jami Furnandiz - October 15, 1997 - Age 18 - Missing - Oshawa  (Read 13845 times)

Desespere

Jami Furnandiz
DOB: 1979/04/28
Date last seen: October 15, 1997
Location last seen: Oshawa, ON
Teen

Jami Furnandiz - October 15, 1997 - Age 18 - Missing - Oshawa - Jami has a tattoo of a heart on her left shoulder, a tattoo of a black spider on her ankle, and a tattoo with the word "Stefan" on the other ankle. Eyes: Brown Hair: Auburn Height: 5'9" Weight: 160 lbs. Case number: 5453-SR
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:33:57 PM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Jami Furnandiz - October 15, 1997 - Age 18 - Missing - Oshawa
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »
Missing Person: Jami Charlene FURNANDIZ
17-Feb-2004 11:05 PST Back | Print Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Durham Regional Police have set up a dedicated telephone line as part of their ongoing effort to find a missing Scugog Township woman who was 18 years of age at the time of her disappearance.

Jami Charlene FURNANDIZ is described as a white female, 5?9? in height, 164 lbs with shoulder-length strawberry blonde hair and brown eyes.

She was last seen wearing a black coloured jean jacket, blue jeans and black ?Doc Marten? shoes. She has several identifiable tattoos, including a spider on the outside of one ankle, the word ?Stefan? with a design around it on the other ankle and a red heart with an arrow through it on her left shoulder.

Contact Information:
Anyone with information on the disappearance of Jami Charlene FURNANDIZ is asked to call (905) 579-1520, ext.# 5223 for Detective Doug Parker. Crime Stoppers is also available at 905-436-TIPS.
http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/missingperson_view.asp?ID=5

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:03:42 AM »
Desespere,

Where are you getting this information from - the occult sacrifice dates and such?  I am curious because there could be several cultures involved and they muight have different dates for things....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »
You figure it could be 25%???

If you are chosing the day before, during and after a fullmoon, then the statisical probabilty would be 10% of all days. If it is 25%, that is definetly an anomoly IMO.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:30 AM »
New moons! That is also interesting. It's darkest. Tonight is a full moon, I guess now we'll all be more aware of full moon nights. I think full moon also extends a bit into tommorow night? I'll check on that.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:11:01 AM »
Here is a link that will tell you exactly when a moon is 100% full. It lasts I think for about 30 hours. So in thoery, a full moon can last over parts of 3 different dates.
http://www.quickweather.ca/cgi-bin/get.cgi?id=WEH&Submit=Get+Weather

Cherbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »
I knew Jami and it's sad to say she is still missing after all these years without even a hint

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »
I knew Jami and it's sad to say she is still missing after all these years without even a hint

Sorry about your friend. It does seem strange an 18 year old can go missing for 12 years and not much info is out there about it. Is there a theory as to what happened? could she have just up and left to start a new life?

Cherbear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »

Sorry about your friend. It does seem strange an 18 year old can go missing for 12 years and not much info is out there about it. Is there a theory as to what happened? could she have just up and left to start a new life?

sorry for the late reply Christ.. Yes, it does seem very strange..There have been a few theorys but nothing we can't pinpoint. We really don't think she just up and left.. Her son Stefan was her whole world and we just can't see her leaving him behind.. I have a feeling we will never know what happened to her.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »
Good point. If she had a son she did not just leave then.

I hope the police have a POI. Most times, it was a current or former boyfriend. I have a feeling this case wil be solved. Young people change over time, and someone must know something, and as they get older, it might start to weigh on them and they might come to the police and tell them what they know.

Hope that happens. It just takes 1 person with courage.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
The page from the Durham Regional Police on Jami's case:

http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/missingperson_view.asp?ID=5

I think that even in the smallest way websites like this help keep things in public memory and that is a very good thing.  You never know, someone who knows something about this case - or any other case - might stumble upon this website through Google or whatnot and that small beginning could lead to an eventual resolution.

That is why it is worth it.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
Here is an Oct 2002 story from newsdurhamregion.com on Jami's case:

http://newsdurhamregion.com/article/53228

Five years later: Mother's disappearance remains a mystery
Oct 18, 2002 - 12:00 AM

Stephen Shaw, Staff Writer

DURHAM - Five years after her disappearance, the fate of Jami Charlene Furnandiz crosses the mind of Detective Grant Arnold almost daily.

Despite zero leads, however, the Durham Regional Police officer remains hopeful, yet realistic, the half-decade-old mystery will eventually be solved.

"It's another year with no leads and no sightings, which leads us to believe she may not be alive. But I still hold out hope she is alive... somewhere... we just haven't found her," said Det. Arnold, his voice trailing.

Last Tuesday marked the fifth anniversary of the day the Port Perry woman vanished without a trace.

The young mother was last seen Oct. 15, 1997 in downtown Oshawa, after dropping off her two-year-old son earlier at a day care in Port Perry.

Ms. Furnandiz, 18 at the time, hitchhiked from Port Perry to Oshawa, where she spent the day visiting friends at a Colbourne Street rooming house.

She left the city about 3:30 p.m., planning to hitchhike to Port Perry.

She never made it.

Since then police have followed leads across Canada and the United States, reinterviewing 70 witnesses last year after the case was reopened.

Despite a team of investigators working on the file for five months in 2001, the creation of a tip hotline, a Child Find poster campaign and dozens of reported sightings, the fate of Ms. Furnandiz remains unknown.

Police have some theories, such as that she may have met foul play while hitchhiking, but are still without concrete evidence to form a conclusion.

Det. Arnold has a hard time believing she simply ran away, given the bond she had with her young son, Stefan, now being raised by her parents.

"The fact there was no bank account activity, no health card activity, no extra bags taken, no clothes packed and no contact with family or friends" discounts the theory her disappearance was by design, says Det. Arnold, adding the file remains open.

Child Find featured Ms. Furnandiz's photo on three million VISA envelopes in 2001, leading to reported sightings from Calgary to Quebec.

All were pursued by police; none confirmed, said Det. Arnold, the veteran officer and Durham's missing persons file co-ordinator.

Packages including dental records and fingerprints were distributed to U.S. jurisdictions to cross-check with unidentified bodies. Again, nothing.

Ms. Furnandiz is white, 5-foot-9, 164 pounds, with shoulder-length hair and brown eyes. She has tattoos, including a spider on one ankle, 'Stefan' on the other ankle and a red heart with an arrow through it on her left shoulder.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Arnold at (905) 579-1520, ext. 5410, or Crime Stoppers at 905-436-TIPS.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »
see, I think someone would have seen an 18 year old hitchhiking. sure, she would have been picked up right away, but you'd think at least 1 person would have seen her.

What I would like to know is, who was she seeing in Oshawa that day? A boyfriend? A former one?

It would have been hard to believe the last person to see her was the people she was visiting. I don't think she made it to the highway.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »
"Colborne St rooming house"

Colborne street is right around the corner from where I work and there are still rooming houses there.  Some sections of the street have been turned over with urban renewal in the past decade, but that small section of Oshawa is still low income.  When I first moved back here a former boss of mine told me unsavory characters had bought up all those old houses and divvied them up into rooming houses in the 80's.  Some of those landlords were well known from the local biker gangs, which have since been pushed out of Oshawa.

So no doubt someone knows something about what happened to Jami and it is more likely that more than one person knows.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:13 PM »
Again, on The Doe Network, 2006- there is a case of unidentified skeletal remains of a woman 18-30, white, with well healed nasal fracture, poss.a rinoplasty, nice teeth, found in a field near South Service Rd. and Holt Rd. near Entrance to Darlington Nuclear Plant....Case File #90UFON...I suppose the authorities check all these sites on a regular basis, and disclude these...don't they?  This is about a 15 minute drive on the #401 from Oshawa,where Jami Furnandiz was last seen.