Author Topic: David James Hinchey of New Waterford went for a walk ...missing...forgotten!  (Read 21105 times)

newwaterfordgirl

• View Profile
Re: John Hinchey of New Waterford went for a walk ...missing...forgotten!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »
was anything else found out on this case?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »
 newwaterfordgirl; no sooner had the rumour circulated - when it was forgotten.  The building where David lived was co-ordined off by police tape for a whole weekend.  That was the weekend another individual was found dead (again it has been dictated - no foul play!) however, there seems to be a time discrepancy here; the building was taped off Friday - Sunday (with the accompanying rumour that a foul-smelling odour brought about the discovery of a body within the walls of the relatively older building where David lived with his aunt before he disappeared....that body being David)  ....we could not get anybody to discuss this in New Waterford, despite the rumour that originated in one of the senior citizen complexes - the result of listening to police broadcasts on scanners.  The strange thing about this, as far as we can find out, the individual was supposed to have died during the Saturday night - Sunday - morning time frame.  That rumour also indicated that the police were instructed (radioed) to arrest (XXXXX XXXXXXXX) for murder -- this person also being one of the thugs we are certain beat Clayton.

atlanticbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
I heard that my brothers death was on here so I came for a peek. I knew David Hinchey as well and the weekend that you are talking about, my brother was found dead in that apartment building. It was not taped off until Sunday. I was asked to go to the building to check on my brother by his so called friend who did not call 911. When I got there, it was not taped off and I was the one who made the 911 call. That was December 14th (Sunda).There are a lot of rumors going on in NewWaterford and one rumor also names the "same person" who has been mentioned with Clayton, Harry, David and now my brother Roddy's deaths. As I am still grieving and trying to find answers, I would be interested in hearing what the rumors truly are. As far as I know it was an accidental overdose which caused his heart and lungs to stop. Roddy truly had no like for the "person of interest" in these cases and I am positive if that person had been in the apartment, then my brother would not have been or that my brother would have put him out of the apartment complex. He would not have been in the same room with that monster.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:12 AM »
atlantic; I am deeply...deeply sorry for you and your family.  I have questioned different people about how long that building was tapped off... keep getting two stories.
However, one that strikes me is the one about Police being there Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Maureen could add to this ...seems that was a topic of discussion at a local hangout on Saturday morning.
You and I both know, people in that building would be very close-mouth about all or anything that goes on there, considering the danger lurking.
I can't help but ask you, did you watch the police tape the building off on Sunday? 
How could so many people in that town not notice the particular days it was taped off, being that Heelan St. is a main thoroughfare?
Rest in peace Roddy! 

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
I heard that my brothers death was on here so I came for a peek.
atlantic .........my deepest condolences to your family.  may you get the answers you need and may  justice prevail.

Maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss Atlanicbelle. Yes there were a lot of stories that went around but the one that seems to be the same all the time is the amount of time the police spent at this apartment building that weekend. A relative of mine was at a place on Saturday where there were plenty of locals. The topic of discussion was the police at David Hinchey's old apartment building since Friday. Our neighbour told Gervy that he saw the police there himself on Saturday. I don't know if the place was roped off but if your brother died on Sunday, why were the police there? I will sent you a PS of other info Lostlinganer and I were told.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
I was given to understand police tore out the walls then at least one local heard on their police scanner: "Pick up B M K etc. etc.".  Nothing more came of it.  Rumor around town was that David's body was found in the walls wrapped in plastic... I am sorry for repeating this rumor.... the town is bad for rumors, but believe it or not, they usually have some sort of basis.  People could have assumed that on their own. (the part about finding his remains wrapped in plastic) maybe some day, we'll know.  The sad part is now, if his remains are ever found, and the old force being so corrupt (some members still active in the municipality) one could, in such a future occurrence, assume the remains were moved to accomodate a "protected informant".
I find it sad to think that David probably would never have realized that many of us would miss seeing him stroll through town ....and end up pushing to find out what happened to him.  I don't believe for a minute that he just walked away "to an end"....I do believe he was murdered and hidden/disposed of.  Bless you David~
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:44:25 PM by lostlinganer »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
Geez, Lost, you'd think you were living on the north end of Toronto, rather then in N.W. This sounds out of sight, that the people could be that violent and get away with so much. It sure sounds like the wrong people are being trusted. At least with David H., there is a lead that could be responsible for his disappearance. With Darren, there doesn't seem to be anything where he knew anyone associated with any crimes. Of course, who would know if he did know something and never mentioned it. Sure hope these cases are solved and the person pays for the crime. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
good point cape; this young man is not the kind who would interfere if he knew something he wasn't supposed to know.  According to all I've heard to date, Darren kept to himself and his own affairs....not the kind to snoop, rat, or interfere.  I can't hear of any reason why anyone would want to do this young man harm.  none whatsoever.  God Bless him..... I hope he just slipped out of town on his own accord.  If that's the case and he needs help....all of CB is here and willing!

lavendermcneil

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
They r either missing , murdered or suicide something is not right....something it telling me ...it might be all connected some how....i can not believe people just turn there heads...crime stoppers u don't even have to leave any info.....its crazy

capergal1957

• View Profile
I've known David's family most of my life and often stopped to chat with him in town.  He was known for keeping up on the latest gossip and goings-on in town, which may have rubbed someone the wrong way and brought him harm, but David was a sweet, naive man who lived a very simple life with his sister Dot.  I can't see him harming himself - he was totally dedicated to Dot who was battling cancer when he disappeared.

There has been a range of ruffians living in his apt. building over the years and many people share my belief that he never made it to the sidewalk in front of the building.  I think David would have been too afraid of retribution to go to police if he saw or heard anything about these people.  He's not the first to go missing in town and won't be the last.  It is just so sad that someone like David would be targeted.  Rumors are just that, but someone knows exactly what happened and it's beyond comprehension why that person(s) would not contact Crime Stoppers anonymously and bring some closure to this case.  I think many people tend to lay the blame on police for not solving this crime, but real life is not like a tv show where horrendous crimes are solved in 45 minutes.  Many, many hours, days and weeks were spent on this case, but until they get a tip from someone in the know, police may never be able to solve it.

wayneeldridgejr

• View Profile
hi, dave was my great uncle..i have always wondered what happened to david and i think about it quite often..bothers me alot.  in my mind hes not forgotten. there must be someone out there that has info about this case aswell as the rest of the cases in new waterford. pretty sad that ppl withhold info about these cases.  cover up? probably...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:32:07 AM by wayneeldridgejr »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Hi Wayne, welcome to the site. I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle, and that you have never had any answers.   

In attempting to find information about your Great Uncle's disappearance, l came across this old newpaper article. This article is from December 13, 2006. David went missing on December 9, 2006. It states that there were two reports by people working in the Sydney area, who had dealings with a man matching your Uncle's discription around the time he went missing. In each case it was said that he purchased something from them. Of course we have no way of knowing if the man they saw was David. 

Sightings raise hope in search for missing man

Last Updated: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 | 11:44 AM AT CBC News

Police in Cape Breton are stepping up patrols in areas where two people reported seeing a man who may have been a missing 63-year-old.

David James Hinchey left his home in New Waterford on Saturday morning to buy a newspaper, but the store's owner said he never showed up.

Hinchey's 76-year-old sister, whom he lives with, reported him missing later that night when he failed to return home.

Since then, two people in the Sydney area have contacted Cape Breton Regional Police to report seeing a man matching Hinchey's description.

Const. Gary Fraser said the first call was from a clerk at a store in Sydney River.

"She believed Mr. Hinchey had come into the store and purchased a lottery ticket and a newspaper, and left," he said.

Fraser said the second call came from a man selling tickets for a non-profit organization at the Mayflower Mall in Sydney on Monday.

These two reports are encouraging, he added.

Hinchey is described as five-foot-six, 140 pounds, with a thin build and short grey hair. He was last seen wearing black coveralls, a dark blue baseball hat, a dark winter jacket and white sneakers.

Dorothy Hinchey made a public plea for help earlier this week, urging anyone with information about her brother to come forward.

She said her brother suffers from depression but it's not like him to disappear without telling anyone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/12/13/hinchey-sightings.html

bevboy0223

• View Profile
Hello. My name is Bev Keddy. I write articles about unsolved murders and missing persons cases for Frank Magazine. I would very much like to do an article about David.

Please write me at bev@frankmagazine.ca and we can get started.

Thanks.

Bev

capeheart

• View Profile
Sure would like to see a story on this, even on one of our shows W5 or The Fifth Estate. There should be a program about missing persons in Cape Breton and area, over the years we have forgotten some of the cases. We all think the persons have been found, but they have not. :o :o :o :o