Author Topic: David James Hinchey of New Waterford went for a walk ...missing...forgotten!  (Read 20627 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
modified to correct David's name... although some news items used the name "John"... his name is David.

The CBC ran this article online December/06.  I think it is so sad this mild mannered man disappeared off the face of the earth.  I heard he was missing ... then read it in the news; then nothing more ever since.  Nothing more was reported.

Nobody deserves to be swept off the face of this earth for no good reason, and totally forgotten about.  He was a home body, who never left town and was no problem to anyone, as far as I know.  So where, in this small community, did he disappear to?  I do hope people from Waterford read this and share their thoughts and memories.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/12/11/hinchey-missing.html?ref=rss

New Waterford man, 63, vanishes on walk
Last Updated: Monday, December 11, 2006 | 5:47 PM AT
CBC News
A New Waterford woman is appealing for the public's help in finding her brother, who went to the store on Saturday and hasn't returned.

David James Hinchey, 63, left the house he shares with his sister on Heelan Street about 9 a.m. Saturday to buy a newspaper.

When he wasn't back by 11 p.m., Dorothy Hinchey called Cape Breton Regional Police to report him missing.

"He never, ever went anyplace before and never come back," Hinchey, 76, said of her brother.

Cape Breton Search and Rescue joined police to look for Hinchey early Sunday morning, focusing on the Colliery Lands park area and the shoreline.

Crews scaled back their efforts overnight and headed back out Monday morning.

Cape Breton police Const. Gary Fraser said the cold weather over the past two nights is a concern and he's hoping the public can help.

Hinchey is described as five-foot-six, 140 pounds, with a thin build and short grey hair. He was last seen wearing black coveralls, a dark blue baseball hat, a dark winter jacket and white sneakers.

Anyone with information is asked to call Cape Breton Regional Police.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:48:45 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
Re: John Hinchey of New Waterford went for a walk ...missing...forgotten!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »
It's almost two years since this guy disappeared.  One would think those who knew him would feel and say something to at least acknowledge this person's existance.  Everybody deserves at least that much recognition and family especially deserves to know what happened to their family member.  There is no closure when their is a shroud of mistery surrounding such a disappearance.
RIP

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »
Yes, Lostlinganer, I do remember the case of Mr. Hinchey missing, actually I didn't think it was that long ago. I did hear rumours that people mentioned that he possibly took his own life, but who is ever to know that. Was there any sightings of him by anyone? And did he ever get to the store that he usually goes to? Usually one forgets about people after a while, that they are missing because you presume they were found.  I know there are several people missing in Nova Scotia and they have never been found. I always think that they should do an hour program and give about three minutes to each person that is missing and the basic facts, just so they do not go forgotten, it would be I am sure helpful to the relatives and help in solving where these people are. Thanks for bringing that one to the attention of members on here and possibly someone will write in something about Mr. Hinchey.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

CaperGal50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
I knew David H. personally and although he could fill you in on the latest gossip in town, he meant no harm.  Everyone in town knew him, perhaps not by name, but they recognized him on his walkabouts.  David had a naive and innocent side to his personality and perhaps that decided his fate.  I looked forward to our chats when I would meet him - he loved talking about his family. 

I often wonder what did happen to him.  Personally I think foul play or a prank gone wrong was involved.  His sister Dot (who was on CBC when he went missing) has passed away since David's disappearance, never knowing what ever became of him...  It's such a shame that someone in our small community disappears and after the initial flurry of attention, they become just another blurb in the local paper or on TV. 

Another New Waterford man who went missing was a Timmons - Adrian I believe.  It seems that he, too, has been forgotten by most people apart from his family.  I agree that a TV program (similar to Unsolved Mysteries) could niggle at someone's conscience and perhaps bring forth information on these people to shed some light on the mysteries surrounding their disappearances. 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
Caper; you're right...and I thought about Mr. Timmons too ....then forgot.  I'm glad you brought it up.  I knew him well.  I worked with him once for a short period.  Isn't it Leo, by the way - Leo Timmons.  yes... it is!  In fact Adrian was living in the same apt. building as I, when Leo disappeared.  Everybody felt God-awful.  He was a quiet, unassuming guy.  He should be covered on here.  I remember he had a reputation in his young days as being quite the star athlete.  ..and his family members nice too.

I had hoped to meet David Hinchey's sister and express my sympathy ...also ask her for some info. on when David disappeared.  He was always up to a long chat... and knew everything going on.  I'm sure he didn't know what it was to habor ill will for anyone.... I always found him the same.

Caper; do you remember "Mary The Squaw" ending up over the cliff.... I always had my doubts that she fell .... especially when every other person you mention it to would say they knew who did it..... it's just not fair .....to take her life .....hope someone speaks up about what happened that night as well.

There are way too many accidental deaths that have gone down in New Waterford.  I could name 5 real quick, but don't want the families, who want to forget it, coming at me.  Enough people already got their knickers in a bunch because my family won't leave the cops alone and forget what happened to Clayton. 

I would like to see the families of murdered folks in town come out with it and do right by their loved ones.  People have been getting away with beating others, raping, dumping off cliffs, drowning, you name it....but Cape Bretoners will deny it forever.  ....but yap about it behind doors forever.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:37:50 PM by lostlinganer »

mauvelilac

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »
Ling: Do you think it's possible this Mr. Hinchey drowned and his body never recovered?

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »
well mauve; I would just like to talk to his family and find out how they feel... they would know if he may have been serious depressed enough to get rid of himself.  I just feel that from what I remember of him, he's was too sensitive to leave his sister wondering and hurting like was the case.  I feel so bad for that lady.
I just find it too much of a coincidence how people are suddenly being considered as having committed suicide... and it's never questioned.  I find that with most suicides, people either leave a note or letter, and/or some indication by means of their demeanor prior to this.  That was not the case in most "so called suicides" in New Waterford.  I can't help but feel something else happened here.... maybe manslaughter or something. 

mauvelilac

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »
well actually, no, I mean't accidental. You know you go for a walk, maybe slip on some ice. I didn't mean to suggest suicide. Could have been mugged, become disoriented..that sort of thing?

mauvelilac

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »
Thanx Maureen, that pretty well explains what could have happened. Poor dear man.....

NewWaterfordGirl33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
Ive just heard recently That the humain remains found in Glace Bay could possible be of Mr.Hinchey..Could be just a rumor..I also heard that they have a NewWaterford man in custody!!

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »
WaterfordGirl;  I heard  two days ago, that there were police cars at David's apt. building for quite some time that morning.... also was told by a person from town, that it was over the scanners one of those we suspect in my nephew Clayton's murder, had been arrested for David's murder....also that same person was told David's body was wrapped and buried between walls.... just rumour so far...but I believe rumors in NW are usually at least partly true.... just a matter of whether it gets "covered up" or not.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
New Waterford sure has its dirty little secrets doesn't it?
like so many other small towns/cities in this country. .. The Conspiracy of Silence runs high. :-X Sad!

mauvelilac

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
Yes Waa, seems no one is immune to the skeletons hiding in the closets.

It would be so nice to have one more case solved and another missing person found. Hope the rumour is true and this man has been found and will receive the burial he deserves. Also, that his killer has been arrested and will finally be brought to justice would be an added bonus.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
Amen to that!

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »

It will be great to have this mystery solved, that's for sure. And don't we all have skeletons in our closet?

It will be interesting to see who is charged...