Author Topic: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West  (Read 180209 times)

amIam

Re: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
Lost, I know nothing of the amount of blood that was found at the scene.  The police alluded months after Kathleen's murder, her body had been moved.  They didn't say the dump site was the primary murder location or that it was secondary.  Just that the body had been moved..could have ten ft, 20, etc.  The report was very vague.  As has been most everything with Kathleen's murder.

Nothing really was reported in the media. The local paper, carried little, but that does no surprise me as things are stifled here.  I few weeks back, I tried to access media archives at the local library.  I was assured by the librarian, the library had all records on microfilm from the Trentonians inception, back in the 1800.  Oddly enough, those from the timeframe of Kathleen's murder are missing.  She couldn't explain and is still searching.

It killed me to read  Kathleen's mother, Colleen MacVicar has met with opposition from the military.

To my way of thinking, a petition by the public to open the doors to military forth coming should not be warranted.

How dare the DND oppose the mother of a victim found murdered on one of their bases?  How dare they not cooperate with the OPP?  Kathleen was one of their own, she was the niece of a military person and his wife who lived at the base. How dare they not cooperate and tell Mrs. MacVicar all they know.

So much is made here in Trenton regarding the tightness of military families. One seems to equate it as a brotherhood..a 911 FD, police dept thing. 

But brotherhood in these fields is self serving, if one has no morals  and is motivated to advancement, keep ones mouth shut and you will advance in your position.

amIam; I didn't even give the date a second thought!  I'm glad you pointed that out.  But I still agree, people would have heard something, had the incident taken place where Kathleen was found.  I don't think it did.  I wonder what amount of blood was there - etc.?
And you're right, RW wouldn't need the use of a motel, but since Kathleen didn't have her own place, she could have told him that.... (whoever picked her up, if that was the case).  Wherever it happened, he blood trace would still probably be there.  Blood is hard to get rid of, unless the killer javexed the whole area and disposed of his clothes.  If that's the case, that would take a lot of time and effort - indicating the killer would have further access to the spot long enough to clean it thoroughly.

All good points you mention!

amIam

« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »
This an old article.  Very similar to one I found recenty.  However this one has added words from Kathleen's mother.

Police looking into MacVicar murder for links to arrested base commander:

In June 2001 Kathleen MacVicar, 19, was visiting her aunt and uncle at CFB Trenton, when she went missing. Three days later her body was found in a wooded section of the base. She had been stabbed multiple times and sexually assaulted. http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/J...se-commander/1

amIam

« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
Kathleen will have been gone 9 yrs, June 13th..this Sunday and still no arrest in her brutal murder.   Her mother Colleen has made a pilgrimage from Glace Bay, NS on each yrs anniversay., so Kathleen won't be alone.

Each year the local newspaper does a little blurb regarding Colleen's visit, it's usually quite nice but however, very sad. 

Perhaps this year, with the media interest in RW, the maniac, more major newspapers will show some interest.  Perhaps prior to media interest the military will be more forthcoming and less suspicious than Colleen has previously stated.

Answers and accountability are long overdue.

Best of luck to you Mrs. MacVicar, you are a very strong lady! 

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
echo that am! :(

amIam

« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2010, 05:54:51 PM »
Just so you know and any other member here who may have an interest in helping Colleen MacVicar in her quest for truth and justice for Kathleen:  I emailed every major Toronto media outlet today regarding the anniversary of Kathleen's murder and Colleen's yearly vigil.  As well , a copy of the newspaper link and her comment regarding the military's lack of cooperation.

echo that am! :(

amIam

« Reply #275 on: June 17, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »
I had this faint hope that someone in the Toronto media might do a piece on Kathleen..given all the furor regarding RW..but naw.  Now one seems to care, not even CBC. Even the local rag here in Trenton didn't do their usual slanted interview with Kathleen's mother.  But perhaps she didn't come this year. It's a long way to travel from Glace Bay, NS to Trenton, Ont. 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
I agree; and it's "a dream" if anyone thinks the media around Cape Breton could care less about these things.  ....only thing you'll get from media in Cape Breton is "avoidance" if you're not completely "pro the system".

amIam

« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »
Seems even the Canadian media couldn't care one iota regarding Kathleen MacVicar.  Not one newspaper carried anything..even with my prompting of emails. 

Yes, she was a resident of Glace Bay, Nova Scotia and had the unfortunate experience  of coming up to good ole Ontario for work.  Stayed with her Uncle ( a military guy) and her Aunt on base at CFB Trenton.  She almost made it home and back to the safety of the base.  Perhaps she thought she was safe as her remains were found on base..two days after she disappeared.

It's truly amazing the information one can gather from the locals here and the stories they can relate regarding this case..and none of it ever makes it to the papers.  I have lived here for years and know a few military people...they are saying and have said it was a military guy who killed her, and to keep things quiet, he was posted elsewhere.

No wonder the military are " not very cooperative" with Kathleen's mother, Colleen. 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Why am I not surprised to hear this?  I would guess people are also curious as to whether RW will offer to help with this .... in order for certain favors.  who knows.... the military and police and government are so corrupt and so "thick", people's lives can be worth "nothing" in the blink of an eye.

amIam

« Reply #279 on: July 04, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
Yeah Lost, how well I know about corruption and the worth of a life if careers and advancement within a career are at stake.  From my personal aspect, it's truly amazing how much people will talk when it's off the record.  I resolved my personal aspect to a degree.  I guess this is why Kathleen's murder and the cover up involved bothers me so very much.

This poor child was murdered 9 years ago, in this dinky town where everyone knows everyone and so many non military people as well as military people know what happened and who was responsible.  9 years ago, in this town no one had even heard of RW. 

amIam

« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2010, 05:45:35 AM »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2010, 07:25:13 AM »
If the profilers think the murderer of Kathleen probably lived within walking distance of where she was found...then perhaps they should get out of the office, and go back to the neighbourhood and re-interview everyone.  Nine years later, someone may talk.  Or go back through their files and see who had a record back then (or since).   The profilers are saying it is a guy in his 20's (at the time) with anger issues.....they even are going as far as saying he could strike again.  They need to take a better look at men who lived in the vicinity, and on the base.  I believe it was a local, with anger issues towards women.

amIam

« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »
Police 'still optimistic' nine-year-old murder will be solved
Posted By Ernst Kuglin-Trentonian
Updated 17 hours ago

The OPP are now calling the sexual assault and slaying of Kathleen MacVicar an active cold case.

The search for the 19-year-old Cape Breton teenager's killer has been underway for more than nine years.

"Just because it's a cold case doesn't mean we're not working on it and the murderer will never be found," said OPP east region spokeswoman Kristine Rae. "We're still optimistic."

MacVicar's body was found by a national defence groundskeeper June 15, 2001 near a wooded area just south of Curtis Road in Middleton Park at CFB Trenton.

She had been sexually assaulted and stabbed numerous times.

Details of the investigation are still in short supply. Investigators have never revealed the type of weapon used to kill MacVicar. Neither have they said exactly where the murder took place, although it's believed the killer dumped MacVicar's body just inside a wooded area metres from the road. Police have insisted releasing those details could compromise their investigation.
MacVicar had been staying with an aunt and uncle in the Permanent Married Quarters (PMQs) in Middleton Park and working at Stream in Belleville.

Little is known about the last hours of MacVicar's life.

A happy MacVicar phoned her mother Colleen on June 13, 2001, excited about her pending high school graduation. It was the last time mother and daughter would speak to each other.

Two days later, an officer with the Cape Breton police knocked at the front door of the MacVicar residence with the tragic news.

She was last seen alive June 13, two days before her body was found. MacVicar had left a friend's residence in the Dufferin Street and Creswell Drive area on the southwest side of Trenton at about 10:30 p.m.

Advertisement

It is believed she was walking to Middleton Park.

MacVicar has been described as a friendly, caring individual. People say she was quick to make friends and she trusted those friends.

When the OPP took over the investigation from the former Quinte West Police Service, they labelled it Project Shadow. A team of OPP officers initially included a lead investigator and six other team members.

But in the years since, the team has dwindled to just one case officer, Insp. Chris Nicholas.
Nicholas could not be reached this week for comment on the case.

At various points during the investigation, police said they had persons of interest in their sites. They said several individuals may have been close to suspect status, but were eliminated as suspects after further investigation.

Included in their ranks were several people from out of province. But word spread there was not enough evidence to lay charges. In previous interviews, police admitted their investigation has led them to MacVicar's home province of Nova Scotia.

A $50,000 reward still exists for information leading to the arrest of MacVicar's killer.

In the preliminary stages of the murder investigation, started by the former Quinte West police service, investigators refused to release a photograph of MacVicar.

That decision led to criticism by the public, media and even city politicians that by not releasing the photograph valuable time was wasted.

There was even speculation by police sources who, at the time didn't want to be identified, that the crime scene may have been contaminated, making the search for the killer even harder. At one point, investigators tried to link the MacVicar investigation to a similar crime committed in November, 2001 in London, Ont., but there was nothing to confirm or deny both crimes were linked.

At the outset of the investigation the former municipal police service asked for technical support from the OPP's behavioral sciences section, resulting in a profile of the killer being released to the public.

The profile concluded police were searching for a man who may be subject to spontaneous and volatile outbursts of anger, a man who displayed such savagery that he could have been responsible for raping, then killing MacVicar.

The profile stated MacVicar's killer may still be living in the Quinte area and that there was the possibility of the killer striking again.

"He probably likes carrying a weapon,'' said a member OPP's Behavioral Section back in 2001. The profile, said investigators, fits an individual who may live within walking distance of the crime scene.

I hi lighted a few areas that have peaked my interest as I have been following Kathleen's case long before this thread was ever created.  I must say this is the most information that has ever been posted by the Trenton newspaper and it's quite revealing as far as I am concerned.

Of great interest is to why the weapon used to stab Kathleen to death has never been made public as " it might compromise the investigation"  any number of items can be used to stab a person..this leads me to think it's unique to perhaps a certain group of individuals. 

I was aware her picture was not given to the media until much later in the investigation and I always wondered why that was... but I would gather that was a call by the former Trenton Police chief, Armstrong, (who was turfed not long after her murder and in recent months been charged with sexual assault)

And the crime scene being contaminated..I have said this all along but could not find it in print..now here it is but of course given by un named police sources...but at least it's in print.

I am not much a believer in profiling but I think the OPP got this right, the killer is someone who is comfortable with his weapon and lives near the body dump site.  And knows the camera surveilance and timing of CFB Trenton.

The journalist who wrote the update to Kathleen, mentions there is a 50 grand reward regarding her case...I thought it was 75 grand..but whatever the reward, nothing has panned out. 

I find that really odd in a town that is so depressed financially..no one has turned someone in.  I doubt this has anything to do with an inaccurate profile.  It like has to do with  Colleen MacVicar's public comment that the OPP have been great, the military have been less than forth coming.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
am; I know it was $75,000 reward offered.... by the way, I wonder if anybody at all was asked to present their DNA for elimination? .... sounds the the chief might want to do the same :-\ :-\

LastOneToSee

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
I'm so glad to have found this site.  After reading thru various posts I am very perplexed and compelled as well!  First I would like to share a few opinions and maybe challenge a few.  I don't believe military personel would actively derail a murder invertigation of such brutality.  Haven grown up on that very base for six years of my life and thru knowing the very people who are doing 'the job' I have to stich with these are normal people who would not defend this violent act.  Second to the best of my knowledge this investigation was taken on by the Quite West Police who have recently transformed into the OPP.  I have also read articles indicating that they in some way or another they managed to mess up the investigation.  Fact, different people were handling the investion over lenghty periods of time, years to be exact and it somewhat felt as though this one was not going to get solved very quickly.